The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#224965 - 06/02/11 02:50 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm a bit slow in posting this, but I do have an update. After much deliberation I ended up getting the MEC Gemini ES (shown here in my backyard).

The main tents I was considering along-side this model were the MSR Hoop, the MSR Hubba Hubba, and the Black Diamond Mesa. Realistically, I was choosing between tents of similar quality and capability and expect I would have been well served by any.

However, when comparing the models I ended up with the Gemini ES because of the following (I think) advantages:
  • Stronger, more stable pole configuration (as compared to the MSR designs)
  • Most fabric vs. mesh, but with some flexibility as the fabric on the doors can be opened and rolled up leaving only the mesh
  • Usable vestibule design (more rectangular than triangular) ... my daughter also liked the little windows smile
  • Good vent design (vents are propped open when set up)
  • More durable/waterproof bathtub floor

Mostly, I went for the one I thought would be the most bomb-proof and winter & storm capable of the group; the only real usability advantage I think is the vestibule design (over the Mesa especially).

That's not to say it wasn't without some trade-offs. Both the Hubba Hubba and the Mesa felt bigger inside (only the Mesa actually was a little bigger). I think this is primarily due to the use of mesh which opens things up. The other tents were also lighter (visually) so they might be nicer if you ended up spending time in them waiting out rainy days.

The other models also all had better inner pocket/storage designs than the Gemini. Only the Hubba Hubba had a noticeable weight advantage.

In fairness, I should note that I wasn't able to actually see the Hoop in person (I wasn't able to find it in stock when I finally got down to my final evaluations).

#224968 - 06/02/11 03:03 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis

The other models also all had better inner pocket/storage designs than the Gemini.

Great choice!

You can balance this with a gear loft, provided there are attachment points within the tent. OTOH, you lose headroom with a gear loft. An important consideration when tenting with with kids, especially in wet weather.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224970 - 06/02/11 03:19 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Definitely a great choice Denis. I hear you on the large vestibule, I use them a lot, and bigger is always better I think -that one looks like a good cooking spot if the need came for it. And I like how your daughter thinks, the tent is for her as much as it is for anyone, and if she likes the windows I think that counts for something.

#224983 - 06/02/11 06:22 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Congratulations on making the choice! Please let us know how things go as you spend time with this tent.

#224992 - 06/02/11 10:17 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Good choice on the tent. With MEC tents, you really cannot go wrong no matter which of their tents you choose. Their tents are all very good quality and MEC stands behind their products if there are any problems. I have a Tarn 2 tent and it has withstood a few years of use...and abuse with no complaints.

John Lubbock

#225032 - 06/02/11 05:19 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Looks nice denis. DS will be in boy scouts in a couple more years so I'll have to loosen the old purse strings [pulls billfold out, blows off the dust and cobwebs as a moth flies out] and get a quality tent like that too.

#225038 - 06/02/11 06:39 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Looks nice denis. DS will be in boy scouts in a couple more years so I'll have to loosen the old purse strings [pulls billfold out, blows off the dust and cobwebs as a moth flies out] and get a quality tent like that too.

When you join, check with your group. They'll hopefully have some you can borrow and test out. Some of the smaller and newer groups might not have an inventory built up but most of the larger groups do. Nothing wrong with smaller groups though. They should all be part of a bigger area group, and that group may have supplies to lend. (Part of our mission in Canada, and I assume in the US as well, is to introduce people to the outdoors and camping. We can't do that if they have to fork out gobs of cash to buy equipment that they aren't familiar with yet or only use once or twice a year.)

Edited by bacpacjac (06/02/11 07:42 PM)

#225091 - 06/03/11 03:18 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Just to reiterate what bacpackjac said, for Scouting you don't need to purchase gear like tents & stoves; the troop will have all that stuff for the kids and likely all the volunteers too.

What I found I really needed to pick up for my son to get going were the personal items like appropriate outdoor clothing, a decent backpack & good sleeping gear.

#225106 - 06/03/11 01:55 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Unfortunately in our case, we probably will not. Our current Cubmaster will be starting up a new boyscout troop for our area once his son finishes webelos 2 next spring. My son will complete webelos 2 the following spring. We are indeed a small group and camping items are usually self-provided by each scout and his family, not by the troop (or in the current case, pack). Unfortunately, I don't look for things to change much once he starts up the boyscout troop. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be Webelos 3. It stinks, but it is what it is. And as I see it I have limited choices:

1) Quit and be done with the whole thing (not fair to DS or the other boys).
2) Start up our own pack/troop through our church (I am afraid I just wouldn't have the time - I am also currently the cub scout roundtable commissioner - or resources to do that though, nor any interest from the other parents or their sons)
3) Work with the existing structure and give DS and the other boys the best experiences possible

At least for now I am going with option 3.

#225889 - 06/13/11 11:38 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm really sorry to hear that Mark. It sounds like you just had a great weekend. There must be some way to turn that into forward momentum. A sponsor? Bottle drive? Apple Day? Yard sale? Bake sale? There's got to be some way to raise even a little money for some basic gear or Woodbadge training.

You're obviously a dedicated Dad and Leader. Kudos to you!

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.