Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220742 - 04/02/11 12:28 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Yes There is more to the kit as Mostlyharmless Stated this is in conjunction to this Thread Frisket: My Completed Survival Kit

(If you wanna comment on that Kit id love if you did so in this Thread instead =D)

As For the Knife It is Pretty Decent I have not used ither one much at all as these were my backup knifes. The Smaller one Is a nice camp knife size at 4inch blade length with a 1/8th inch spine. It fits well in my hand unlike its bigger brother which is alittle large and cumbersome in comparison. The larger one does not fit my hand well at all and feels awkward to handle as compared to another knife say the Buck 119 special which is around the same size but handles much better. The Blade shape is nice and almost identical on both sizes. The sheaths are alittle on the cheap side even cheaper then the one that comes with the buck 119 but they will do the job. Overall If I found these knives at walmart again in ither size Id most likely pick up another extra per size as they are inexpensive and yet decent useable quality. As I stated Les stroud often uses The larger size in His show and has no complaints from what I read on the net.

#220804 - 04/03/11 07:23 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: hikermor]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You have the obligatory compass,but there is no mention of a map. In most land navigation situations, a good map, preferably topographic, and the ability to use it, are of much more importance than the compass, which you will likely need only infrequently. i would retain the compass, however, because when you need it, you really need it.

I don't believe I noticed any sort of signal miorror, or a likely alternative. I highly recommend a signal mirror.

A compass without a map is still extremely useful. Primarily to help ensure one is traveling in a straight line, which is not easy.

Prior to today's electronic devices it was not possible to have a map (with enough detail to be worthwhile) for every place that one may be traveling. It is one thing to stock up on quality topo maps when one is planning a trip, but when stocking a general purpose kit...

#220805 - 04/03/11 08:00 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Paul D.]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Paul D.

A compass without a map is still extremely useful. Primarily to help ensure one is traveling in a straight line, which is not easy.

This is a good example of why it is difficult to evaluate a kit or gear without reference to the situation in which it will be used.

In mountainous country, where your routes are constrained by canyons and/or ridges, you rarely, if ever, travel in a straight line. Correspondingly, you rarely ever need or use a compass, orienting yourself primarily to terrain features. Travel in a straight line is hardly ever accomplished.

On large bodies of water, the ability to follow a (reasonably) straight line is paramount. I have used my compass more often in one fog bound three hour paddle just offshore in Southern California than in about five decades of wilderness travel on land.

But if we talking about land navigation in most situations, a map is primary, and of greater utility than a compass.

#220808 - 04/03/11 08:51 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
[quote=Paul D.]. . . But if we talking about land navigation in most situations, a map is primary, and of greater utility than a compass.
. . . and then you find yourself under a canopy in the woods somewhere and you can't see any terrain features just the forest through the trees.

** A compass is universal **

#220809 - 04/03/11 09:08 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Putting a Map Within my kit wouldn't make much sense. I do not know my destination if I was to go out camping and anymore more then a local map would not fit. In short a map in a pack of this size and of this nature with no intended route to take or location to be in it would be impractical. If I was to say plan a trip with lots of effort and obtain a map I most certainly would place one inside the pack but till then no maps.

#220816 - 04/03/11 11:02 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I always carry a compass.

In addition to that, I have topo maps downloaded to my iPhone in iTopoMaps. If my phone is working but there's no signal, I still have maps of everywhere I expect to be. The Google Maps app, as excellent as it is, doesn't work without a data connection.

It's too bulky to have maps of every place I might be, even in my car kit. Printed maps are awesome and I carry them when I'm off the trail, but otherwise I generally do not.

#220817 - 04/03/11 11:25 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
It looks good!

#220822 - 04/04/11 01:17 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been in that situation many times, with no particular problems - again, with at least some topographic relief. If the woods are truly flat for a long distance, then you have a situation somewhat comparable to open water and a compass becomes potentially more useful, but that is a fairly hypothetical situation.

Don't forget that a compass is not the only way one can stay oriented. Astronomical features,, both day and night, are reliable, and not subject to local variation and deviation, as is magnetism. Fog and heavy clouds can require one to fall back on the compass.

By the way, let me be clear, although I rarely need a compass, I, too, will carry one, but always with a map. Frankly, I don't understand Frisket's comment, but if it works for him - fine.

Ounce for ounce, I probably get more value and utility out of the map I carry than any other item in my kit.

Edited by hikermor (04/04/11 01:21 AM)

#220830 - 04/04/11 06:44 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

A compass is useful, but if we are using without a map, then a mini compass will work fine (as you are only looking to stay in one direction, not precision orienteering). And a button compass takes so little space it seems worth packing.

But I agree this is always scenario dependant

#220841 - 04/04/11 04:52 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Frisket
As For Shelter Im still pondering on this Im sure the smallest of the AMK Bivys would fit in place of the Powder. I may go with a Poncho since they are often thinner when purchased then the spaceblankets.

Are we all talking about shelter going into this same bag? As you know, I have this same bag. I'm thinking "no" on the shelter if this is the bag I'm using. The bag is too small, simply put. If you consider a bandanna to be shelter, then yes I guess shelter is included in my bag.

The thing about a bag this small is that it forces me to plan for my most likely survival scenarios, rather than for every possible scenario. Among my most likely survival scenarios are (1) a major California earthquake and (2) trouble out in the snow. For a major California earthquake, finding shelter after the quake will likely not be an issue. If both my house and car are destroyed (unlikely), there will still be plenty of buildings, trees or debris around to make a shelter. In the snow, I'll be wearing my shelter on me among my clothing, and this bag is too small for carrying appropriate snow shelter along with everything else I would need.

Obviously, your situation may be completely different than mine.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.