Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220607 - 03/31/11 02:46 AM Survival Kit Update
Frisket Offline
Addict

Updated the external bits to my survival kit Hope You all Approve!

Ive added A Winchester Knife (The smaller version of the one Les Stroud uses in some episodes of survivorman which i have the bigger version aswell) A Small travel size Container of Body Powder, 2 Bootlaces, A Silva Starter compass, Burts Chapstick, Bundle of wire, Hankerchief and bandana, Small pair of pliers/wiresnips and 6 feet of cotton string. Inside the Self contained tupperware Kit I only added a tin of burts chapstick aswell so I felt Id rather not empty it again and try to repack that tetris puzzle of madness. Love to hear more advice and feedback!

#220612 - 03/31/11 10:14 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
The 3 most important keywords to assembling any kit are Location, location and location... WHERE and under what conditions will you use this kit?

#220613 - 03/31/11 10:34 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Im considering it a multipurpose kit for most situations including camping, Day hikes and Possible bug outs.

#220617 - 03/31/11 11:39 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Just a thought, I'd tape some kind of cover over the pointed tip of those needlenose pliers, or someday they may put a whole in your carry bag.

#220620 - 03/31/11 12:44 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Great kudos for posting your kit and how it evolves here on ETS! I'll bite the bullet for some constructive criticism.

I'm guessing that this is an update for this Frisket: My Completed Survival Kit

When you use this - do you have a bigger pack with clothes, food, water etc? Do you have separate water bottle somewhere? No kit is used in isolation, but should be considered together with the sum of your other gear, clothes and such.

I still don't know squat of what conditions are like in your area. That being said, I think my comments are fairly generic.

I see no shelter part in here. Squeezing in a garbage bag and/or a space blanket would greatly expand your options on protecting your body from heat, sun, cold and wetness. Or why not the AMK bivy bag? Remove it from the "ball" shaped stuff sack and you have a long, flat rectangular piece (about 2-by8? I'll measure some time later) that you should not have much trouble squeezing into your kit.

I am a big fan of multitools. Does the same job as needle nose pliers, but can also do a lot more. Costs a lot more, too...

I'd also try to sneak in a Snicker's bar or similar. Low blood sugar = your head doesn't work. Supplement the STOP acronym by having a little drink and snack really improves your problem solving capacity.

#220653 - 03/31/11 08:11 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Mostly harmless has the correct - shelter is missing here (and in most peoples kits). A disposable poncho and a space blanket would be cheap, compact and handy (even with their limitations they would be 100% better than nothing). I like ponchos as they can be useful even if you aren't bivvying up.

Food also useful - even a couple of hard candies would give a little boost when needed.

Also a plastic bag and puritabs

Your vision of what you want to do is fine - I would drop the body powder to add some of these things

#220662 - 03/31/11 11:11 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

As a Complete "Bug Out Bag" I Keep my camping gear ready to go with a Duffle bag of clothing aswell. Soon Im going to Include a smaller satchel with more Urban based tools and safety items for a more complete Kit. As For multitools I have a Leatherman Kick I Often EDC and plan to Have on my hip with a Fixed blade at all times on Campouts and hikes. The Pliers are there cuz they were Free and makes the kit feel more complete to me if I end up without the leatherman.

As For Shelter Im still pondering on this Im sure the smallest of the AMK Bivys would fit in place of the Powder. I may go with a Poncho since they are often thinner when purchased then the spaceblankets.

As For puritabs I may aswell throw in my Coghlans stuff ( http://www.coghlans.com/products/drinking-water-treatment-9586)

Im not to big into the water purification tablets but these were free aswell so might aswell.

#220673 - 04/01/11 02:25 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ditto on the granola bars...Food is good

#220714 - 04/01/11 07:33 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You have the obligatory compass,but there is no mention of a map. In most land navigation situations, a good map, preferably topographic, and the ability to use it, are of much more importance than the compass, which you will likely need only infrequently. i would retain the compass, however, because when you need it, you really need it.

I don't believe I noticed any sort of signal miorror, or a likely alternative. I highly recommend a signal mirror.

#220717 - 04/01/11 07:50 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Frisket, I don't see fire. You said these are the external bits, does that mean there's more to this kit that's not listed here?

I've been looking at that knife and thinking about getting one for a while. How do you like it?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.