Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221681 - 04/16/11 02:27 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At most REI stores, and several others, the tents are set up on the sales floor and you can, lightly, fiddle with them and try tem on for size. REI also had a rental program for tents and other items which is a great way to "try before you buy."

The best way, of course, is to have an obliging friend with the contemplated model....

#221693 - 04/16/11 07:47 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During the winter my local supermarket was selling this tent for around $7.50

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-0497.aspx

It weighed in around 2.8 kg but if the fibre glass poles were replaced with some good quality alloy ones using a replacement alloy pole set for around $30 and the tent pegs replaced for 7075-T6 alloy pegs for around another $30 and the tent seems processed using a good seam sealer you would have a 2 man 2.5 kg tent with a 2-3 season rating i.e. the fly has a hydrostatic head of 1500mm, for around $70.

This tent would be pitched fly sheet first as well, which is useful for poor weather. This might be a low cost option.

#221694 - 04/16/11 07:54 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Denis - If you are not experienced with camping and hiking I'd advise that you simply stop by your nearest discount store and get their two-man dome model. It will run about $40. Take it out camping and give it hell. Many of the local homeless people use these units and get most of a year out of them using them 24/7. The quality is several steps ahead of what you would get for the same $40 fifteen years ago.

I know several youth groups that have shifted entirely to $40 two-man domes from Wally for long weekends because they last several years and replacement is cheap if the kids set one on fire. Cleaned after use, patched and stitch to repair and reinforce weak points, re-coated as need they can last for years.

The key is that experience with camping and tents clarifies what is important. It gets your foot in the door. I've seen people spend scads of money of expedition-grade gear and it either stays unused or they take it out and destroy it because they have no idea what they are doing.

Starting inexpensive is like letting a person learn to drive in a beater instead of a Lamborghini. It saves wear and tear on the expensive model. When time comes you will appreciate the top-line model.

#221695 - 04/16/11 08:15 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Art, I gotta say I disagree entirely. Money spent on a low grade tent is money wasted. I would rather spend it on a rental. I do agree with you that money on a super high grade tent might not be the best way, but there are plenty of very good medium quality tents that will not rip to shreds.

One tip of for a low quality, cheap tent. They have flys that don't protect the entire tent - an obvious set up for failure and a potentially serious situation.

Some years ago we had a climbing fatality on Mt Humphreys (Arizona) during a winter storm when the tent failed. I never found out precisely what tent failed, but the incident demonstrates the importance of a tent in nasty weather.

Perhaps it is worth considering alternatives to tents. Buy a reasonably lightweight tarp, say 10x12, get a bunch of cordage, and learn some of the many ways to pitch it right. Sure you will make mistakes, but there is a real incentive to learn.

The second option is to take advantage of rock shelters (more easily done in the American Southwest than most other places). I have spent many nights watching the water pour off the overhang while nice and protected. A good shelter is better than any tent.

#221696 - 04/16/11 08:42 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
If you are not a tent expert by way of experience with a wide range of tents and tenting conditions, then continue your research before spending big bucks.

Rent or borrow gear, take advantage of campgrounds to ask people about what they like and dislike about their tents.

Do not assume that popular tents are anything other than popular.

Find out what works for you, including whether or not you really want to go tent camping.

If you decide you like to camp, be prepared to find out no one tent is best. Like lots of gear you may aim at acquiring something for solo hikes in good weather, group adventures in not-so-good weather, and a few stops in between.

Have fun with it!

#221697 - 04/16/11 08:45 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are budget mountain tents to a high spec such as the Vango Typhoon 200.

http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/vango-typhoon-200-mountain-tent.html

These a used a lot of the youngsters carrying out Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions. The only downside is again the weight at around 3.2 Kg. This type of tent although not a full mountaineering 4 season tents being of a semi geodesic design are still pretty tough and robust in poor weather conditions. They are moderately priced for their performance.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/16/11 08:46 PM)

#221702 - 04/16/11 10:32 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Off-topic, but it sounds to me like you're ready to sign up. You'll love Woodbadge training and being more involved with the kids, and they'll appreciate the commitment. wink

Actually, as of a couple weeks ago I am an official leader - but with my daughters Beavers (and next year Cubs). For now my role with the Scouts will still only be with the camps.

Beware "All sales final" clauses!

This is one of the reasons I like MEC, with their "Rock Solid Guarantee" they guarantee both the product and their selection advice.

Nothing caught my eye at the other store with the gear sale anyway smile.

Edited by Denis (04/16/11 10:33 PM)

#221707 - 04/16/11 10:59 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Way to go Denis! 3 sections could be a bit too taxing on the calendar. wink

There's another built in tent option there. Ask your group or Area Service Team if they have any tents to lend. Many groups have spares for just that reason and they may have a few models to try. We don't want families bowing out because they have to purchase gear.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221712 - 04/17/11 12:10 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There's another built in tent option there. Ask your group or Area Service Team if they have any tents to lend. Many groups have spares for just that reason and they may have a few models to try. We don't want families bowing out because they have to purchase gear.

Some backpacking shops will allow you to rent a tent. Builds business.

#221723 - 04/17/11 02:21 AM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Way to go Denis! 3 sections could be a bit too taxing on the calendar. wink

Thanks! Just to clarify, I'm helping with the Beavers this year, but will be moving to the Cubs next year because my daughter will be swimming up. I won't be attempting to do both at the same time. Also, my role with the Scouts isn't official, I come along on the camps primarily to help my son.

That said, all 3 meet on the same night at the same place (but different parts of the building) so it makes knowing everyone and keeping up on what's happening a bit easier.

Regarding the Scouts' tents, I did have a chance to check it out what they used on our last trip out. I was bunking with another Dad in his Tarn 3, and the Scouts' have some Wanderer 2s and a couple Tarn 2s.

Also, me not owning am appropriate tent isn't preventing me from helping out at all; its more of a personal preference that I have my own space when the day is done.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.