Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221627 - 04/15/11 02:06 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
A robust load bearing "outer tent" where the inner tent is something that dangles inside it is what I prefer.

Can you give me an example of this style of tent? I'm not sure I can think of any that I've looked at which would meet this criteria.

Also, regarding stove usage, my initial thought is I wouldn't be cooking in the tent or vestibule. Since those wintery camps are most likely to be with the Scouts, I'd be out with them.

#221629 - 04/15/11 02:14 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
"Scout" usually doesn't equal "wise" until they're much older.

So very true!

That said, regarding size, I am pretty set on the 2 man. In most cases I plan on using the tent alone. At Scout camps my son is paired with another Scout, not with me, and on any backpacking trips (only one planned so far for this year) the plan is not to share tents (so far at least!).

That's not to say there will not be occasional trips where I share the tent (I have been planning 1-on-1 weekends with my kids for example), but I haven't been able to justify moving up to the 3 man because of the amount of solo use I am currently anticipating.

#221630 - 04/15/11 02:29 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Can you give me an example of this style of tent? I'm not sure I can think of any that I've looked at which would meet this criteria.

The Force 10 Vortex 200 would be an example.

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/products/Vango-Force-Ten-Vortex-200-2-Person-Tent.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/15/11 02:30 PM)

#221633 - 04/15/11 03:19 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Thanks for the link; I think that's a bit more tent than what I was thinking of right now though.

According to my requirements and what I am hearing I ideally need: a nice light 2 person, 3 season tent for solo use; a reasonably light 3 person, 3 season tent for those times I'm not alone; and, finally, a more robust 4 season tent for those more wintery outings.

I guess the challenge comes in finding a tent that, with reasonable compromises, can meet all of these needs while excelling at none.

Thanks again!

#221636 - 04/15/11 04:08 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
have a look at the Hilleberg tents.i bought my first one seven years ago,Atko, as a light weight canoe tripping tent and have been very impressed by it quality.if i knew about them years ago i would have spent a few extra bucks and skipped the more popular brands.
http://www.hilleberg.com/usa.htm

#221640 - 04/15/11 04:29 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Denis
I guess the challenge comes in finding a tent that, with reasonable compromises, can meet all of these needs while excelling at none.

Thanks again!

That's always the case. You want a tent durable enough to withstand 90% of the weather you encounter, but you don't want to be always be lugging around the extra weight of a 4 season tent that you may only need 10% of the time. A 3 season is a decent compromise, you'll be carrying a heavier tent than a lightweight solo, but then you can also extend its use into 4 seasons by careful placement and setup.

I've been happy with a 3 man Sierra Designs Meteor Light (old version). Not a true 4-season tent, but a very robust 3 season. The new version will just barely meet your <6lb requirement, but I don't know if the strength is compromised with the new pole design, and even then it's still a pretty heavy tent. The full coverage rainfly and igloo shape really sheds wind and rain. But it only has 1 large vestibule, which might not work for your requirement of not getting the inner tent wet. The good thing is there are 2 exits, so you can always enter and exit on the leeward side, and I like the window in the vestibule so you can see outside without actually exposing yourself to the weather.

I remember watching videos of SD testing their tents in a wind tunnel with 100mph winds, so I think it should hold up through most any storm. I think there are internal guy lines to strengthen it if the wind gets that bad, but I've never tried it. If the wind ever got that bad, I'd probably pack up and go somewhere else.

#221643 - 04/15/11 05:03 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the link; I think that's a bit more tent than what I was thinking of right now though.

According to my requirements and what I am hearing I ideally need: a nice light 2 person, 3 season tent for solo use; a reasonably light 3 person, 3 season tent for those times I'm not alone; and, finally, a more robust 4 season tent for those more wintery outings.

Thanks again!
if it were me, I'd probably take it slow. Get a three season at first and see how it goes. Invariably, my understanding of what I need changes as I'm exposed to new types of gear and gain more experience.

I myself have been pretty happy with a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 for three season solo use. I find myself unwilling to schlep around a two person tent anymore for solo use. My knees aren't holding up like they used to.

HJ

#221646 - 04/15/11 05:28 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That's great advice Jim. We learn a lot along the way!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221647 - 04/15/11 05:38 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

At Scout camps my son is paired with another Scout, not with me, and on any backpacking trips (only one planned so far for this year) the plan is not to share tents (so far at least!)

Individual groups vary, but Scouts Canada is very firm that kids and adults (and boys and girls) shall not share tents, or sleeping quarters in cabins, unless it's absolutely necessary (i.e. a 2 room cabin, with all the females in one room and all the males in another) or a "family camp" where each family is responsible for sleeping arrangements.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221648 - 04/15/11 05:50 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Denis Offline
Addict

That is good advice Jim. After getting some use out of the first one I use I should have a better idea of what I like and what I don't.

One of our local stores is having a gear sale this weekend which is why I started asking about features to look for; they don't have their products online so I don't know exactly what they'll be selling. This thread has definitely helped clarify what to look for.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.