Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#221632 - 04/15/11 03:17 PM About neck lanyards/survival necklaces?
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Ok I searched for and found a little information about these scattered around in various threads but couldn't find a thread with everyone's neck lanyards/survival necklaces in one place, or with all the information I was looking for either (maybe I am using the wrong name for these?). I am working on my own and so far I have a bead neck chain with a fauxton, whistle and BSA hotspark on it. But I have some questions before I go any further.

What do you use for your necklace material?

Do you have concerns over getting snagged and strangled? In this event does your necklace have a safety factor and if so what is it?

I am leaning heavily toward the beaded necklaces and was wondering if anyone has a good source for the materials?

Special question for EMT’s/paramedics/first responders: Can I put my medic alert tag on this necklace? Or should I keep that separate?

What items do you have on your neck lanyard/survival necklace?

So please feel free to share info, pics, tips, concerns or anything else about neck lanyards/survival necklaces. Looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance for your help.

#221635 - 04/15/11 03:33 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Near the bottom of this sites home page you'll find a 'review of eight personal survival kits'.
One is 'Ranger Rick's Special Ops Survival Necklace'.
It has some good ideas (like a wire saw as the necklace)
And one handed fire starting; there's a reason Doug has a one handed fire starter in his kits. It's a survival kit: you might have a broken arm.
Other good ideas on Ranger Ricks site and all priced very reasonably.
qjs

#221639 - 04/15/11 04:29 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I use one of these safety lanyards from EK USA:

Safety Lanydards

They all have a safety breakaway and are of high quality. You can find them cheaper elsewhere, such as Ebay.

As to the Medical Alert: I think the above lanyards are a little too beefy to wear all of the time and you want to wear your Medical Alert tag all of the time. If you go with a beaded chain, make sure it is stainless steel and not nickle, as many people have allergies to nickle.

Pete

#221641 - 04/15/11 04:47 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
If your making your own lanyard, you can use the break-away buckles from a cat collar. I have used a few of these with paracord bracelets and neck lanyards. Check the craft section of your local Walmart,they have break-away necklace clasps. I used 1 long piece of mason twine tripled back on itself, then braided.

#221642 - 04/15/11 04:55 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Mark,

I use a few different configurations, depending on what I'm doing. I always wear a paracord (2 ft) necklace, that has a micro photon on it at all times, and I add a whistle when I'm out in the wilderness. That's minimum for me.

I've also got a beefy lanyard that's part of my edc, that I wear when I'm in the wildreness. On a break-away lanyard, I have: a whistle (jet scream), an LED light (streamlight keymate), a knife (I just changed out my gerber clutch for a SAK), and fire (fire steele or mag block, and a mini bic).

When I'm Scouting/hiking not far of the pavement, I wear a lanyard with a fox 40 and a micro photon. (It's also got a mini star wars LED light sabre on it, but that's more for entertainment purposes.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221650 - 04/15/11 05:58 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am no expert , and I use a survival necklace/lanyard as a Just- in-case emergency item.

In every kit , I have a emergency necklace within the kit. When emergncy hits, I take out the necklace and wear it ASAP, and put the items in front pocket or under shirt for safety purposes and to to gaurd against unwated attention.

My emergency laynards are made from ID lanyards ( they are usually worn in conferences ..etc.) I removed the ID card , and add some carabiner or D ring, then add a whistle, tiny flashlight, and a tiny minitool.

They are on-person backup, but there is always a real thing in my bag and more in the office locker or vehicle glove compartment.

YMMV

#221651 - 04/15/11 06:02 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
not to talk you out of a beaded necklace... I didn't like wearing dog tags around my neck in SEA a lot of years ago, and I live in a climate pretty similar... so I offer an option that takes up little room and is pretty inconspicuous...I use a multi tool pouch with velcro closure...my kit was built around a Victorinox Farmer (saw and awl), referee whistle, mini Bic w/button compass, strip of 4 quarters, sewing needle/safety pins/firesteel taped to back of section of hacksaw blade, tweezers, 15'mono cordage,spare AAA battery, and cut down pen fit in pouch...Fenix E01 flashlight and pill fob on key ring, Leatherman SP4 in pocket...first aid/water tabs in HD zip pouch

#221655 - 04/15/11 06:27 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just a suggestion ... include a break-away link in your necklace.
i.e. one link that will break if the force tugging on the necklace gets too large.

cheers
Pete #2

#221657 - 04/15/11 08:15 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

I had the same concerns - picked up Doug's RSK® Mk5 and then was struggling with the best necklace. I decided on stainless steel beaded for the reasons others stated. Then I was going a bit mad trying to find a reasonable price on-line or elsewhere. Finally discovered my local Ace Hardware sells spools of beaded necklace and accessories (joiners, clasps) in a variety of sizes and metals. Look in the crafts section.

#221658 - 04/15/11 09:03 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
For my ID tags, I used a piece of hollowed out paracord over the metal bead necklace. I made sure the connector and maybe one inch of necklace were exposed, so that in the event of a snag, the necklace could break. I did this as I had a reaction to the metal, it turned my neck black.

At times, I also had a small knife, a small bic lighter and a small flashlight on the chain - just in case. Oh, the tags themselves were in plastic cases so as to deaden any noise.

#221661 - 04/16/11 12:42 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
If you must wear a garrote keep it relatively short and build it with two break-away links spaced equidistant on the thing.

#221670 - 04/16/11 02:20 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dweste
If you must wear a garrote keep it relatively short and build it with two break-away links spaced equidistant on the thing.

Yes - Made me laugh...thanks for that

#221680 - 04/16/11 01:27 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Used to wear a necklace. I converted mine to use like a key chain clipped to a belt loop.

#221684 - 04/16/11 04:08 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: GarlyDog]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I have read, but not tried, joining a necklace with a small, ~1", piece of shrink tubing to act as a break-away join. Sounds feasible with both paracord and beaded chain. If anyone tries it, let us know.

#221687 - 04/16/11 06:07 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: acropolis5]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I have read, but not tried, joining a necklace with a small, ~1", piece of shrink tubing to act as a break-away join. Sounds feasible with both paracord and beaded chain. If anyone tries it, let us know.

That's a great idea! I'm betting it has just about the right combination of strength and durability with a good breakaway point. Thanks.

#221688 - 04/16/11 06:12 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Two small rare earth magnets might make an interesting break away mechanism.

#221726 - 04/17/11 08:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Got mine from CountyComm. The site is down at the moment, so - no link, but my necklace image instead:

It's made of some soft rubber, which is very gentle on my sensitive skin. The spring loaded clasp has breaking strength of about 3 pounds.

On the lanyard I'm keeping:
  • A led light (I forgot its name, but I call it "vampire light", because of its ability to suck out the last juice from any battery while charging);
  • Recharger for vampire light is also there (wrapped with a rubber band on the left);
  • 8Gb microSDHC card in a USB reader (as a flash drive, which also can work in a phone);
  • Micro peanut lighter;

The AA battery is for the size reference.

#221737 - 04/17/11 03:25 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: GarlyDog]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Two small rare earth magnets might make an interesting break away mechanism.
Someone here advocated that a while back. I like the idea, partly as a way of carrying a magnet while keeping it away from credit cards(*) etc, but couldn't find a workable solution. When I asked about magnetic necklace clasps at a local jewellers, they told me they weren't reliable enough for anything of value.

(*) - I've seen a lot of discussion about how real the danger is, but I'm not yet convinced either way.

#221739 - 04/17/11 04:07 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I really wonder what a magnet on the neck would do to your compass when you took a sighting.....

#224706 - 05/30/11 10:37 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

A bit aged thread I know, but I missed this question. In my experience, magnet would be OK. I'd rather worry for any massive steel piece nearby, because it will gradually magnetize from the compass needle, "discharging" it in process.

#224765 - 05/31/11 03:44 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
mpb
Unregistered

I do not see the need for such a necklace.
I (we) live and work for 25 years in the northern Canadian wilderness and do not have/use such gadget.
What I (we) carry is a good Swiss pocketknife, fire-making kit, space blanket, head lamp and vac. pak. pressure bandage.
( items are not 'on person' at most times, just folder, other items in either surveyor vest or day pack, then most possible need for)
Never needed all 5 items at any one time together.
Never used space blaket.
Keep it real, people!

#224767 - 05/31/11 03:59 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Aaachk! I just can't imagine carrying gear around my neck. I think I'm more sensitive to that than most people. Couldn't STAND wearing neckties either.

I much prefer carrying gear in my pockets, in a small fanny pack, or a backpack (as the gear gets more plentiful and bigger).

If trying to tether gear to myself (!) I'd rather use lengths of paracord tied to my belt and then stuffed into the same pocket. The only exception to that being a compass, but even that doesn't hang ... I'll only wear if around my neck if I have a breast pocket to stuff it in; otherwise it will drive me nuts.

Do keep in mind that I'm a small kit guy - ala Peter Kummerfeldt’s philosophy (http://www.outdoorsafe.com). Stuffing an enhanced (purification tablets, mini-BIC, ...) Ritter PSP in one pocket and a large orange plastic bag in another - along with my EDC Mk1 knife - is all I'll do. When outdoor I'm always carrying a 1 quart water bottle too. I've thought about also adding some kind of mini-tube to the PSP as a straw for gathering water out of tiny puddles.

#224771 - 05/31/11 04:13 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: KenK]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
while I personally detest things on my neck (ie, my dog tags), if it's for you, more power to you. I think that NightHiker has a good compromise of good and bad. Ranger Rick's is a good idea to peruse too, but take what he says with a grain of salt, he seems to have great ideas interspersed with gizmo's.

I think the regular "dog tag" chains break with enough force. The only down side I have to them is mine keeps snagging on chest hair. It's really annoying!

paracord is a good idea, as is using a wire saw.

#224775 - 05/31/11 04:16 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Agreed that you can do fine without a working necklace most of the time, but there are at least a couple of exceptions. When caving, a small (very small) flashlight on a light cord, makes good sense. Rarely used, but if you need it, you really need it. The other situation would be when wearing an avalanche beacon when mountaineering. Put it around the neck, turn it one, and leave it there for the duration.

#224809 - 05/31/11 07:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Jury is still out on this. I have added a small pill fob with some jute twine stuffed into it. Probably will be adding or substituting some tinder quiks soon. So far it is not too uncomfy (except the occasional chest hair as MDinana mentioned - owie). I did forget to wear it today, but then I am beginning to think this may be more of a when-I-venture-outdoors kind of thing. I have had the mini-led light come in handy numerous times during recent power outages though. Much easier than trying to find candles and matches/lighter in the dark (Where did DW move them to this time?).

While these may not be for everyone, I am liking this as the first layer of survival gear. This seems to me to be most practical as part of a layered approach (a no-brainer for others I am sure). A whistle, light, spark-based fire-starter and pill fob with tinder inside seems to be just about the limit of items without making it unwieldy and uncomfortable. I was thinking I could then eliminate these items from a personal survival kit that is not really pocket sized yet, hopefully making it closer to pocket-sized. But I am also wondering if this is a good idea or not? The redundalunatic in me says no. The minimalist in me says yes. What does everyone else think?

As a final note, I am just having some fun with this. As it turns out it is also proving somewhat practical. Isn't that what it's all about?

Edited by Mark_Frantom (05/31/11 07:52 PM)

#224816 - 05/31/11 10:06 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

There are many convincing situations could be found in water sports, e.g. scuba diving, surfing, windsurfing, etc. I have been in a real survival situation when my windsurfing board broke in the storm and after 5 hours of struggling I've managed to land on an unknown shore of the wide river. I was exhausted and cold to death, but miraculously run into a local fisherman who made a big warming fire for me. I'm more into scuba diving now, but always taking my peanut lighter on the pictured above necklace under the wet suit. Unfortunately it's flooded last time after the 90' dive, but I think I can work on that problem.

Another reason - ease of concealment from a typical body search.

#224826 - 06/01/11 12:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I often wondered how I could tuck in something small and compact to make a fire to carry with me when scuba diving. I was imagining a scenario where the dive boat would have disappeared when me and my buddy surfaced. The best thing I could come up with was a mag bar encased in some sort of epoxy or plastic. I never did actually try to implement that idea. I would imagine that something like a peanut lighter will eventually fail under the stress of repeated compression/decompression cycles, but until that occurs, one would be fabulous.

I did actually come up from a dive once to find our boat nowhere in sight. We were in two groups of three and we huddled up, bobbing in the water, drifting lazily toward Santa Rosa Island, a quarter mile away. After about thirty minutes, our boat reappeared. It had been called away on very urgent, brief business.

#224829 - 06/01/11 12:19 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I often wondered how I could tuck in something small and compact to make a fire to carry with me when scuba diving.

Does anybody know a source for mini fire steels? Something nn inch or so in length with the plastic holder? I'd love to add one to my necklace but have only found large and larger. Kevin's got a nice one on his paracord bracelet...

#224847 - 06/01/11 02:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I have thought using sling shot bands for the necklace.
David Enoch

#224876 - 06/01/11 01:01 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Bacpacjac, the BSA Hotspark works pretty well. You can order it online here:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Item...3&item=1167

Although I am a cubscout den leader I have no other affiliations, just a happy customer. This is the one I have on my necklace at the moment. It's also what pushed me to add the pill fob (with watertight seal) with some reliable dry tinder material that can take a spark. As my skills at finding tinder in the wild improve I may eventually eliminate this but for now it is going with me.

On a sidenote, the striker is already becoming a bit discolored just from the contact with my skin (sweat, oils, etc). As I am sure it is just a piece of carbon steel, this should be taken into consideration when using in a water environment. It may be a good idea to consider either a second watertight pill fob to hold the steel and striker, or just one to hold the steel, striker and tinder.

#224915 - 06/01/11 08:30 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Bacpacjac, the BSA Hotspark works pretty well. You can order it online here:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Item...3&item=1167

Thanks Mark! That's the kind of size I'm looking for AND it supports BSA, which I like too. Us Scout leaders ned to stick together, no matter wwhat national flag is on our uniform! wink

#224933 - 06/01/11 11:38 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You should also be able to find the BSA Hotspark at any Boy Scout council Scout Store.

Just Google "Boy Scout near XXXXX" and you should find your local store. The web sites should list store location and hours.

#224954 - 06/02/11 01:41 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm going to our local Scouts Canada store tomorrow morning actually, and will have a look.

Ideally, I'd like something about the same size as my micro photon II. I've added a regular sized firesteel to my wilderness lanyard but want a firestarter on my permanent necklace.

I'm now on the hunt for a tiny - but useful - sharp for my wilderness lanyard. I'm going for the holy trio plus 1 on that - light, fire, knife and whistle. (And still the micro lightsaber for amusing thr kiddos.)

#225012 - 06/02/11 02:23 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: KenK]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

You're welcome jac. Hope you find that hotspark at the scout store.

izzy that's a nice looking setup, but looks like it would be a bit clunky and uncomfortable around your neck anyway. At first I thought a neck lanyard with all the basics would be nice but then I thought it might be more comfortable to have it hold just a few key pieces of gear like the whistle, light, and firestarter, and augment it with a pocket size altoids type kit for the rest.

Unfortunately ken, our district's scout shop is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. The shipping costs are cheaper for me than paying for the gas.

EDIT: jac, a few ideas for the sharp off the top of my head - tiny folding knife like the spyderco ladybug (no affiliations) or similar, or possibly a scalpel blade in the pill fob with the tinder.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (06/02/11 02:25 PM)

#225041 - 06/02/11 07:05 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Mark!! I'm on the hunt. Our Scout Shop didn't have anything small enough on either front so I'm outdoor store shopping now.

#225133 - 06/03/11 05:28 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mark, I settled on a Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool. I could have gotten a larger single or double blade, but I like the idea of having a second set of pliers.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Vise-Mini-Tool-30-000017.php
(standard non-affiliation disclaimer)

#225141 - 06/03/11 06:08 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: bacpacjac]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Mark, I settled on a Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool. I could have gotten a larger single or double blade, but I like the idea of having a second set of pliers.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Vise-Mini-Tool-30-000017.php
(standard non-affiliation disclaimer)

Backpacjac,
This is what I have done:
Smallest ferro rod you can find. I suggest that you go on e-bay and buy a light-my- fire. The very small orange handled one.
Pill fob packed with cotton/vasiline balls.
Coghlan's wrist compass: Very good bit of kit. Loose the strap and put it on your neck cord.
Whistle. What ever you fancy. I prefer a ACME tornado.
A photon light or what is generally refered to as a fauxton. I prefer the fauxton. Most of my fauxtons have outlasted my much vaunted Photon lights.(e-bay again!)
For a neck knife: Pick a Becker BK13 and get someone to mod the spine to a flat edge.

Also: forget about all the "concerns" about be throttled by 550 cord. Ain't going to happen and you've got a knife!

#225143 - 06/03/11 06:18 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Leigh! I'm pretty with my set-up now. On a Scouts Canada lanyard I have:

-orange Scouts Canada Fox 4 whistle
-LMF Firesteel (regular-sized one with the red handle, wouldn't mind a mini for this and my necklace but I'm happy enough with the reg. size for my lanyard)
-Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool
-orange Garrity LED keychain light (might upgrade to a Photon or Fauxton)
-Star Wars Lightsabre LED

I also wear a Micro Photon on my necklace at all times, along with a mini-harmonica for entertaining the kids. I add a whistle when camping for any unexpected middle of the night emergencies.

#225158 - 06/03/11 11:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Watching the ferro rod discussion here, I have updated my necklace with one:

I've made it by cutting a 1 inch piece from my long 5/16" diameter Coghlan's firesteel and joining it by glue and hot shrink tubing with a small glow in the dark stick (green) for the handle. I have decided to use a P38 can opener as a scrapper. It was not very good at the job, so I've made a sharp triangular notch at one end (similar to one on some wire striping tools). Surprisingly it's produced a huge and dense bundle of small sparks without much of an effort (very light pressure required). However I think it might wear off quickly as it's edge dulls. Anyway, here is the notch design:

(click on images to view larger HD sized ones in Picasa).

The working part of the rod is wrapped with another piece of hot shrinking tubing for protection from rust.

The P38 is on the same ring as the flashlight (behind it on the image above), which significantly enhances the grip.

By the way. The black and orange thing visible behind it - is a flat powerful neodymium magnet, which I plan to glue to the back of the flashlight. It can be used for holding the flashlight on metal objects, to pick and recover metal things, and as a string compass - much more versatile thing than a button compass in fact.

Also I've added a quick release clasp for the flash drive, so I can use it without taking off the necklace, or to convert the necklace to a pocket lanyard on a clip.

Still undecided on what to keep as a fire starter device, lighter or rod? The later is noticeably heavier than peanut lighter, but much more versatile on the other hand.

#264138 - 10/09/13 07:28 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I recently updated my Survival Kit on String or as it is often called a 'Survival Necklace'. This is probably at least my 8th version and overtime I have made it heavier and improved the equipment I always carry around my neck.

Here is the link to the full article Survival Kit on a String if you are interested.
boreal.net

#264141 - 10/09/13 07:52 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very nice! I'm a big fan of orange, hard to lose and easy to spot. I have a couple of those orange Moras, too.

#264155 - 10/10/13 02:38 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice, though I prefer belt carry; easier to use, can carry more and not as 'dangly' if that is the right word.

#264161 - 10/10/13 05:09 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I like my knife around my neck so its handy and I always store it back in the sheath between uses
boreal.net

#264165 - 10/10/13 07:15 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I find neck carry to be handy while camping, at least while I'm hiking and setting up camp. Generally I tuck it inside my shirt while I'm not using it; that keeps the banging around to a minimum. A Mora works okay for neck carry but more often I use an ESEE Izula for that.

#266586 - 01/14/14 08:58 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I prefer tools on a pocket leash when canoeing or working in high places.

tro

#266598 - 01/15/14 03:47 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i don't know where this "fad" of carrying stuff around your neck came from but i carry everything in shirt pockets.i canoe and you have to lift the boat up onto your knees to flip it up on your shoulders.a Bic in a pants pocket hurts when it's pushed into a leg.
i don't even wear a watch on camping trips because i don't want to catch the band on a branch.i think the neck knives/stuff came by way of the fur trapper reenactors who wore a neck knife because the natives did that because they did not have a belt to carry a knife,or pants,or pockets to carry one.
try running with a bunch of stuff flapping around you neck.

#266641 - 01/17/14 07:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

I am still using the beaded neck chain, found a source for some stainless steel versions on e-bay that are holding up quite nicely. Whistle is still on it, and I have updated it somewhat by replacing the fauxton with a Fenix E01 in my favorite color, purple (will try to post some long promised pics maybe tonight after scouts). No affiliations, just very pleased with the Fenix. This light and whistle combo rides with me daily, not around the neck, but in my pocket. Go figure.

For wilderness carry, or other circumstances where I think the lighter I carry in my pocket everyday might need some back-up, I still have the pill fob stuffed with jute twine I can add to the necklace. After the recent matchless fire starting class I took, and seeing how nicely a piece of charcloth will take a spark and combine easily with the fluffed up jute twine to get a flame, I will be adding a piece or two of charcloth to the pill fob as well. I have also replaced the BSA hot spark with a full sized BSA fire steel.

I have found when I do wear it around my neck as intended, it is pretty comfortable for me to wear it between my under layer, which is usually a polyester undershirt, and whatever I happen to be wearing over that.

#266643 - 01/17/14 08:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What about the Swedish Fire Knife by Light My Fire - basically the Mora knife with an integrated fire rod in the hilt. I got one on special and it seems pretty decent, although I have not used it yet....

#278868 - 01/20/16 01:45 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Resurrecting this one for consistency.
Just made a necklace which seems to be the one I could actually EDC. It's quite minimalistic, but I guess that's exactly what makes it wearable for me, as it's lightweight enough and always staying organized so I can totally forget it is there.

The content

1. Titanium 2" dogtag knife in the rubber frame with a hole on one end, a half round notch on the other, and one of the longer edges with a 1/8" wide razor sharp blade. Purchased online a while ago. So far I have my name and email address (in my own domain) engraved on one side. The bottom notch is great for producing rich sparking from the ferro rod, and for wire stripping.

2. 1.5" long 1/4" diameter ferrocerium rod with 1/10" hole. Could be 2" to match the tag's length, but 1.5" is what I had at hand and it works just fine. Drilled the hole myself, burning a hole in my synthetic pants twice along the way, before putting on my leather apron and a drop of motor oil into the hole. smile

3. 5" of 20ga diameter steel wire in a transparent plastic sleeve. Both ends are needle-sharpened, covered by the sleeve, and tucked under the tag's frame on the front. Besides its utility, it's forming a simple three prongs central pendant, which holds the 1 and 2 securely together, also making them easily detachable without even removing the necklace. Though there is a very little chance the lock I made on it is coming off under any random tension. Another advantage of this design is that this rather short necklace (it is head tight, so I can wear it on the forehead or on the ears to rig other gear) behaves like a twice longer one on the neck (i.o.w. it sits wider on the chests top), what helps hiding it under the collar of the shirt. So, I cannot feel it and cannot see it (primary annoyances of my previous attempts to wear something on the neck)

4. ~15' of black #8 nylon thread braided in a chain pattern using the four finger loops method (does not look perfect, as that's my first try to braid a thread, so I may redo that later). For an unknown reason I cannot find the instructional video for that anymore, even though I had it on Youtube on my phone and on my PC; but I have memorized the simple and fast technique well (there are some other four loop techniques on Youtube, but they look overly complex). I've connected the single length of the thread into a single loop first, then coiled it 2 more times to form 4 equal loops or 8 strands for braiding. I've bundled the starting end-loop of the resulting ~2 mm thick cord in a trivial overhand knot (easy to untie) but left the other end open for now to see how it might unwind and wear per strand under the EDC conditions.

The necklace wears really well so far (3 days). I don't feel it at all under the shirt or even when sleeping. Perhaps, the fact that the tag is riding between 2-nd and 3-rd shirt buttons rather than against the solar plexus is helping as well. The pendant's wide arms seem to prevent typical shifting of the necklace over the chest efficiently and, sure thing, it's not rotating at all, what prevents the ferro rod from touching the wet skin, reducing the corrosion chances (Titanium is inert, the steel wire is in plastic sleeve). Perhaps I should cover it with nail polish anyway for protection.

Also I plan to add an HD sewing needle as the wire is not really ideal for sewing (still possible, though). Most likely, I'll make a flammable thin film insert under the dog tag and place the needle in between.

Another idea is to try braiding the fishing line (mono or braided) just to see if it's better in any way. However, the strong nylon thread seem to be more interesting for EDC.

Any questions or improvement ideas are welcome!

#278870 - 01/20/16 02:43 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Alex
Resurrecting this one for consistency.
Just made a necklace which seems to be the one I could actually EDC. It's quite minimalistic, but I guess that's exactly what makes it wearable for me, as it's lightweight enough and always staying organized so I can totally forget it is there.

Any questions or improvement ideas are welcome!

Hi
So do you have a breakaway? Why? Is it at the back of your neck? Why?

#278871 - 01/20/16 06:39 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

There is no breakaway integrated, as this is the last resort kit. I dont want to loose it by a sily accident. Also it is too short to catch on somethig. However, in the case I need to get rid of it real fast (choking), I can a) tear the rubber frame from the tag and cut the string with the blade without even removing it; b) just pull on the tag in the right direction (from behind) real hard, it should go off the lock along with the rod and free wire's ends, which should let go one of the string's ends off under the tension.

#278878 - 01/20/16 02:52 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If you take an abrupt, fast fall you won't have time to do anything before your neck is broken or traumatized (experience speaking here), so do what rock climbers do when carrying longish (24" or so)slings - place it around your neck and under one arm - readily accessible and the strangling hazard is essentially eliminated. Being right handed, I always looped slings under my left arm....

#278881 - 01/20/16 04:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
the longer length required for looping it under the arm would give you a useful bit of cord- 5 feet. You could braid it too for say 15 ft.

#278883 - 01/20/16 07:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I haven't tried this, but if you take the "under arm" approach, you can probably pack more items comfortably than on a necklace. Something to work on....

#278887 - 01/21/16 07:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you take an abrupt, fast fall you won't have time to do anything before your neck is broken or traumatized (experience speaking here)

Very true and something well worth keeping in mind.

#278922 - 01/21/16 10:21 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Tom_L]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Glad to see this thread is still relevant and generating discussion

Interesting idea on the sling style, might have to try something like that soon

for now, I'm still toting the beaded dog tag style neckchain around, with whistle, fenix e01, firesteel and pill fob attached. For edc it rides in my pocket, for outdoor adventures I untangle it and wear around my neck between base layer and outer layer. I've also experimented by adding key chains that snap apart to the fire steel and the whistle for easier removal when they need to be used (in hindsight I probably should have used one for the fenix rather than the whistle, but i think I have a few more lying around).

I have come to the conclusion that, at least for me, this is not a stand alone kit but rather an addition/supplement to other survival gear in my pack and/or pockets.

#278933 - 01/22/16 07:06 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

The "Under arm" solution sounds like a reasonable alternative to a breakaway, but I can see at least three problems with that: 1. The "pendant" will eventually slide under the armpit, creating an abrasion point and exposing the kit to much more moisture. 2. It will be heaver and have larger skin contact surface. 3. In a free fall situation it is still possible to get a deadly neck cut with it and it is more "catchy" as it is way longer.

I see the rock climbers concerns legit, however I don't plan to do any serious rock climbing with it, and I cannot imagine a situation in my daily life (remember that's EDC item) when such a short necklace under the shirt could catch on any stationary object around by an accident. The only possibility it can pose a threat I can see is if it could be grabbed in a fight. But that's still not even close to a free fall situation, so I'll have time to pull off the lock.

Update: I've just double checked, the thread I'm using is not #8 at all, it's V-138, so that's only 22 lbs tensile strength. Multiplied at 8 strands it's a bit less than my weight, so it will break for sure just under my body drag. So the answer is yes, I do have a breakaway integrated in it smile

Edited by Alex (01/22/16 07:35 PM)

#278985 - 01/24/16 05:34 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Recognizing as I do that whatever you want to carry is up to you, I don't understand the practicality of this kind of EDC, unless you work outdoors, in the wilderness. For example, why a firesteel instead of a bic lighter in your pocket?

#278987 - 01/24/16 06:36 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: tomfaranda]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Porque no los dos?

But really, none of this is carved in stone. If you want to switch up or switch out for your preference and/or particular situation, well, that's everyone's prerogative I suppose.

For me, I seem to end up with the kitchen sink far more often than I'd like. Too easy to acquire, to hard to make a choice.

#279037 - 01/25/16 09:23 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My contrary view: Nothing around my neck. Too annoying, too noisy and too little space. A cell phone case on the belt holds 5 times more.

#279039 - 01/25/16 09:49 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm partial to a short lanyard from my belt to a split ring in my pocket with a modified side release (breakaway) buckle near my belt. I have gotten hung up on my gear while sliding down a boulder, and it's definitely a "dafug!?!" moment.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279134 - 01/28/16 07:45 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: tomfaranda]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Happy to answer that Tom

My main reason for having this with me everyday is the fenix e01 and the whistle. The light gets used very often, the whistle not so much but I like to have it handy and on my person every day.

As for the firesteel (and the pill fob with tinder), it is a handy back-up to whatever other fire starters I may carry (speaking of which i need to get back to carrying a Bic lighter daily). It is also just easier to leave it on the chain all the time, so whenever I need to convert it to neck carry for outdoor activities there's no "hmmmm, now where did I put that firesteel?" moment. Instead, it's simply a matter of pulling the chain from my pocket, untangling it, putting it around my neck and bam, I'm good to go.

All this said, I recently acquired a new fire starter which I have considered adding to the neck chain to replace the firesteel and tinder-in-pill-fob combo. It is the ust micro spark wheel , I picked this up on a clearance deal, the package had the micro-spark wheel, extra flints, tinder, all in a large (not too large tho), orange, watertight aluminum case with carabiner clip attached (you can see it here by scrolllling the page down to the fire starting stoke kit). I haven't added it yet because I haven't had enough time to practice with it, it's a bit small and fidgety for my butterfingers (i'm hoping practice will remedy this also), and the micro spark is so small I'm afraid I will lose it if it's dropped while trying to use it.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions.

Standard disclaimers apply, no affiliations with any products or sites linked to or mentioned.

#279137 - 01/28/16 08:33 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Nice find, Mark_F. I had an idea to wear the Ritter PSK sparkler as well (it's very lightweight), but figured it will be redundant having the knife there already. Also the wheel would require some serious protection from the skin moisture and abrasion to be readily available for work, but that's an additional weight and bulk. I do have several of these aluminum capsules of various shapes and sizes, but I'm attaching them to my belt-to-pocket lanyard system only, as the coming day plans dictate. I did try them on the neck a while ago - too annoying against the chest and skin for me to EDC. Besides, it's frankly a dead weight (you cannot use it for anything else). My new necklace is riding very well so far, so perfectly unnoticeable that I ended up in the shower wearing it a couple of times (easily dried it with the hair drier, but it's better to avoid doing that, I think, as the ferro-rod metal is quite porous). The weight is the king here for me. Although, I saw smaller rods on eBay (like 1/8" diameter), just have doubts I can affix one to the necklace in the same bulletproof way as the 1/4" one, or use such a small rod without a handle or lanyard.

By the way, you can easily improve that little spark wheel handling by attaching a lanyard to its end (possibly wrapping it around the entire handle length as well, but not necessarily), just experiment with its length to match your palm's size. I've found that stretching it tight between pinky and the handle adds quite a good additional grip to any short handle (another option is a grippy knot on the lanyard's end, shorter length, but bulkier overall).

#279155 - 01/29/16 05:30 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Mark F, I have the fenix 01 or 05 as an edc light and love them, but on my small keychain, not as a neck carry. As i said when I queried the edc neck chain, to each his own! I also have the micro spark wheel and it looks good, but haven't used it yet. Would only be a hiking carry for me, not edc.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.