Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221551 - 04/14/11 04:04 PM MOD4 Survival Knife review
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A quick Knife review of the British Army MOD 4 Survival Knife.

Its big, its heavy (1lb 7oz), its thick (1/4 inch), its industrial and its agricultural. It's supposedly a knife, but is probably more of a pry bar with an easy to sharpen Scandi grind applied with a industrial styled full tang handle in a fibre polymer. Its ugly and its virtually impossible to break. It's a contender to replace a camp hatchet. It's a knife that can be abused and still take it and you won't be concerned if you scratch it up a little. It will also take a reasonable edge (carbon steel) where you can slice a sheet of paper in two, but it won't take the hairs of the back of your arm. It'll be a little tricky to fillet a trout (the Mora 780 will do this) with but if you need to chop and split and baton to build a fire or a shelter then it should perform quite admirably.

The MOD 4 (its the lower one) compared to a Mora 780.

7 inch blade with 1/4 inch thickness almost within 1/2 an inch from the tip of the blade.

#221553 - 04/14/11 04:29 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's quite the honking big blade. Way too big for my tastes, but I'd love to play with one. Though I'm not sure I'd want to schlep it around.

Is it a true scandi-grind or is it slightly hollow-ground? It's hard to tell from the photo.

What's with the sheath? It looks like a 'lefty.'

Anyway, neat to look at. Thanks for the photo.

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/14/11 04:29 PM)

#221557 - 04/14/11 05:09 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Is it a true scandi-grind or is it slightly hollow-ground? It's hard to tell from the photo.

It could be better described as a Sabre grind, its definitely not a partial hollow grind. If anything it is slightly convex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind

Quote:

The knife is worn on the left and extracted in a similar way as in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLI6BhFV2c

Big blades are usually carried on the left and small blades on the right.

The Leather sheath isn't the greatest but the quality of the knife doesn't really justify another £20 on a 3rd party sheath.

http://www.combatservicesupport.co.uk/pr...ife_sheath.html

#221567 - 04/14/11 07:03 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have an Ontario SP8 survival knife that's roughly that big (10" blade, 1/4" thick). It's heavy enough I wouldn't want to carry it on all my day hikes but it's great for processing wood.

#221575 - 04/14/11 08:26 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee... "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife!"

#221584 - 04/14/11 10:07 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the review.
It's robust alright - but looks very heavy.
It would fairly discouraging to haul that thing around on a daily basis. I wonder why they chose the blade profile that was used? Looks more like the kind of knife/tool that would be handy for prying open supply boxes.

Maybe the MOD just had some kind of contract to get 10,000 of these things made in India at a very cheap price??

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (04/14/11 10:08 PM)

#221587 - 04/14/11 10:43 PM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Maybe the MOD just had some kind of contract to get 10,000 of these things made in India at a very cheap price??

The MOD4 Survival Knife is actually made in Sheffield by J Adams Ltd, 124 Scotland St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7DE. If it was made in India I would expect the fit and finish to be off a higher standard. wink There is actually nothing wrong with the deisgn, it is well thought out, the knife is nicely balanced for a 1 1/2 lb knife and the materials are very robust such as the 3 huge copper rivet which hold the handle scales on, its just that the knife doesn't have that shiny shiny bling factor going on because of the phospated finish to the main blade and the allignment of the tang and handle scales.

Quote:
I wonder why they chose the blade profile that was used?

Probably because the ease of sharpening was an over riding factor rather than how sharp the edge could actually be made for fine slicing. Its basically a tool for chopping and splitting i.e processing wood.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/14/11 10:47 PM)

#221595 - 04/15/11 02:39 AM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If their goal was to produce a knife that's good for chopping, I would have thought they might have made the blade a bit more like the shape of a kukri or a parang. Take a look at this machete design from Cold Steel ...

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

It's quite handy to have a shape like that if your goal is chopping. I realize the MOD knife is a knife and not a machete, but it seems very "plain Jane". Maybe they just wanted to keep it simple, and so keep the cost down.

Pete #2

#221601 - 04/15/11 04:48 AM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: dougwalkabout]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Many military knives are designed to be worn on the left side of the body, since there may be a pistol on the other side, or a longer weapon worn on a sling. Of course this all dates back to traditional holsters and slings.

Very long blades are just often easier to draw from a cross draw, which is evident with most sword placement. The MOD4 isn't that long though.

My preferences for a pound of Sheffield steel in the bush would tend towards a Martindale No. 4, Golok, or Paratrooper, but the MOD4 is a tried and tested design.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
That's quite the honking big blade. Way too big for my tastes, but I'd love to play with one. Though I'm not sure I'd want to schlep it around.

Anyway, neat to look at. Thanks for the photo.

#221615 - 04/15/11 11:59 AM Re: MOD4 Survival Knife review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

It is massively robust because you should never underestimate the ability of a british squaddie to break something ;-)

It is well suited to it's most likely tasks - turning the local flora into shelter and fuel, plus the usual prying open crates and the like. (Not for bushcraft really)

It is a rock solid choice, and shares its functionality with the other issue knives - the golok and the clasp knife. All designed to work and not chosen for thier prettiness. Good things to have on you if you have a real crisis on hand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.