Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221544 - 04/14/11 02:33 PM Selecting a backpacking tent?
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I am in the market for a tent and think I've pretty much nailed down what I'm looking for but would love some other opinions.

I am looking for a 2 man backpacking tent; it will mostly be used either solo or with one of my kids but I forsee the ocassional trip with another adult. I am looking at 3 season tents, but plan on pushing the boundries a bit (e.g., late/early winter) and it must be able to withstand a good storm. I will mostly be using this in the Alberta Rockies, maybe a bit on the BC side (where constant rain seems to be my fate :)).

So, for critera in selecting a tent, I've come up with:
  • 2 entrances
  • 2 vestibules sufficient for a good sized (i.e., 70-80 litre) pack
  • Vestibules which allow opening/entry without getting the inner tent wet
  • At least a partial-fabric inner tent (i.e., not all mesh)
  • Vents in the rain-fly
  • Wide enough for a couple Therm-a-Rests for the full length of the tent
  • Under 6 pounds
  • Around $300 or so (preferably a little under)

So far, this is leading me to something along the lines of the MEC Gemini .

What I'm wondering is if there's something else I should be looking for? Or is there something I'm including in my criteria which isn't necessary or is too restrictive?

#221547 - 04/14/11 03:15 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have no personal experience with that tent, but it looks pretty good. I am partial to lighter weight models, but then I typically operate in a dryer environment. You have the really critical item, strong aluminum poles, and what looks like a competently designed shell.

I might suggest checking out the REI Half Dome 2 Plus, which sells for $200 (and even less if you catch it on sale). It is just slightly lighter. I believe it has only one entrance, though. For me that would not be a deal breaker.

I would bet that at some point you will add a light weight solo tent to your inventory or try a bivy sack/tarp combination. The weight savings can be significant. Even then, the tent you are contemplating will still be useful and versatile.

I have never dealt with MEC, but if they are Canada's version of REI, that is good enough for me.

#221548 - 04/14/11 03:32 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: hikermor]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
The TarpTents are very well regarded in the backpacking community. I haven't been able to justify picking one up yet as I've already got 2 tents....

TarpTent

The REI Quarter Dome is also well regarded and a nice price.

Were I in the market seriously, these would be my two contenders.

#221552 - 04/14/11 04:20 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given your expected uses, I think you're on the right track. The Gemini ES seems like a pretty good fit. I like the fact that they've added top ventilation, and the twin vestibules are great (if only to keep the porcupines from gnawing your boots and pack straps!). A footprint/groundsheet is always a good idea to reduce wear and tear on the floor.

MEC has a pretty good rep regarding the quality/durability of their house-brand tents. And if there's a problem with their gear, they really do try to make it right. (I bought a MEC 1.5-man late last year, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Sigh.)

Let us know how things work out.

#221561 - 04/14/11 06:38 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

All other things being equal the more features you get the heavier the tent will be and the more it will cost. If costs don't rise quality: durability, usability, and longevity fall.

Also be aware that tents are designed for narrow people who don't bring in equipment and who don't move around much. A 'two-man' tent is usually only suitable for two children who carry little more than a teddy bear. Most hikers find that a two man tent is suitable for only one and a three-man tent is only suitable for two. And that assumes you don't have a whole lot of gear.

On expeditions it is pretty common to size tents at half their rating so everyone has a space for their sleeping bag, and an equally large space for gear and living. Being snow or rain-bound, stuck in the tent for days, makes small tents torture. Tents you are going to spend just eight hours night in, and limit use to sleeping, cooking, eating, and working outside the tent, can be smaller.

Generous, well designed vestibules and porches can make up to some extent for a smaller interior space but they add weight and expense.

Granted I'm in the warm south but I've found that a simple tarp and mosquito netting set up over a ground cloth works well. I find most tents to be confining. It bothers me to be blind to my surroundings.

Bivy bags under a tarp can work. I would sometimes rig a tarp and leave the bivy behind. If rain threatened I would slip the foot of the bag into a garbage bag. Works for moderate cold. Hot weather I would leave the bag behind. And curl up under a fleece blanket and mosquito netting.

#221563 - 04/14/11 06:45 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The MSR Hubba Hubba looks quite good.

The tent is also available in green and an additional MSR Gear Shed Vestibule is available so that you can store additional gear. This can be purchased at a later date if you need to expand your requirements.

It also almost 1 lb lighter (pack weight) than the MEC Gemini, although it might be worthwhile getting the Hubba Hubba footprint as well as the ground cloth is somewhat lighter than the one specified on the MEC Gemini if used on rocky terrain.

Overall the Hubba Hubba does look to appear to be little more flexible to tailor your requirements.

#221566 - 04/14/11 07:03 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I'll make one comment with respect to tents: my experience is that the "footprint" made for a given tent isn't worth it if you intend to always use the tent as a tent.

Some tents allow a "fast pack" option (footprint and rainfly only). In the case were one intends to use the footprint and fly only, the footprint would be worth it.

When using the tent as a tent, the footprint is usually heavier and more expensive than other options and doesn't really buy one much.

My experience, FWIW.

HJ

#221569 - 04/14/11 07:24 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would agree with you completely. Years ago, before manufactured FPs were on the market, one would cut a painter's tarp or plastic sheeting to provide a bit of shielding for the tent floor. Then manufacturers realized they could make money selling "footprints."

Hone made footprints are a good way to recycle mylar space blankets - light and protective, if relatively short lived.

#221574 - 04/14/11 08:08 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The Hubba Hubba is on my list of tents to look at more closely as well.

My main concern with it is the all-mesh tent body, but I'm honestly not sure how valid my concerns are in this regard. My thinking based on the research I've done so far leads me to think the all-mesh body might not be the best choice for when the temperature drops (i.e., the early/late winter camps) or when (not if smile ) I get hit with a nasty storm (hard rain/wind).

It also doesn't have venting in the fly, but my understanding is the all-mesh body compensates for that.

#221576 - 04/14/11 08:36 PM Re: Selecting a backpacking tent? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I doubt that the mesh makes all that much difference in keeping the tent warm; the fly is likely to be much more important. No tent really retains heat all that well; its most important function is to shield you from the wind.

It would be interesting to see some good data bearing on this question; I don't know of any.....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.