Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#221526 - 04/14/11 04:41 AM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Having a remote canister stove with a pre-heat loop doesn't buy you all that much in warm weather. An upright canister set up is pretty quick and easy and is the most popular configuration.

For windy or cold weather, though, the remote canister set up sure is nice.

HJ

Not in warm weather, but it would greatly extend the flexibility of the set up into colder temperature.

Good call on the adapter, no point really in getting one.

#221568 - 04/14/11 07:23 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
If one were to get only one stove and try to do everything with that one stove, then a remote canister stove with a pre-heat loop would cover everything from about 0F/-18C on up (that's canister temperature, mind you, not ambient temperature). I'm assuming of course that one is using a propane-isobutane fuel canister. Regular butane just isn't good for cold weather. One can go colder than 0F/-18C if one employs canister warming techniques.

In other words, one can cover a whole lot of "territory" temperature wise with a single stove -- all but the coldest weather.

However, one can shed quite a bit of weight in fair weather by going with an upright canister stove, so I wouldn't say the upright canister stove should be counted out just yet.

For "fast and light" fair weather trips, I tend to to take and upright canister stove.

For trips where I anticipate temperatures between 0F/-18C and 40F/5C, I'll either take a liquid fuel or remote canister (with pre-heat loop) set up. If there's a possibility I'll need to cook in my tent, I'll generally go with gas.

If temps are going to be below 0F/18C, I start looking at a liquid fueled stove burning kerosene (kerosene being a bit safer to burn in a tent if need be).

On short trips where weight isn't at a premium, I tend to go with liquid fuel simply because liquid fuel is so cheap. A 110g canister of gas (four ounces by weight) costs $5.49 (tax included) versus $0.38 for the same amount of liquid fuel. Gas is about fourteen times more expensive than white gasoline if bought in four ounce canisters.

HJ

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.