The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#220771 - 04/02/11 05:07 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Are nail clippers still on the TSA no-no list, right up there with ice axes, meat cleavers and hockey sticks?

Sue

#220779 - 04/02/11 09:40 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
Are nail clippers still on the TSA no-no list, right up there with ice axes, meat cleavers and hockey sticks?

Yes. Don't forget shampoo. With less than three ounces of shampoo, you're a fine, upstanding American. With six ounces, you're obviously planning to wash hair in a manner that supports terrorism.

#221513 - 04/14/11 12:16 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
A few days ago I was fiddling around with the computer and a I notice that a fingernail was rough and had a hangnail, I reflexively grabbed a nail clipper and had the nail and hangnail sorted out in a few seconds. No scissors or knife will do the job as well. No great revelation but it reminded me that these little fingernail clippers, that go for about $2, are mighty handy. I don't carry one, I try to keep my key-chain compact, but have them scattered around everywhere. I have two on my desk, one in my truck change tray, one in each of my survival kits. I even have a couple still in their packaging in my cabinet. A remnant of a year ago when I lost my last two and in a fit bought a half-dozen in one go. I subsequently found at least one I lost.

Nothing better for flush-cutting hangnails that always fester, sting, and threaten to get infected in survival situations. Great for trimming rough spots on fingernails that threaten to rip into the quick. Works well cutting thread, fishing line and light line. When I was messing around with electronics I often used a pair to flush-cut wires after making repairs. I've used a pair as tweezers to pull out thorns and splinters.

The ones I like best are good quality, heavily chromed to resist rust, and made by "Trim". They sell at most department stores.

I consider nail clippers an excellent item for your kit, so I really appreciate these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JTP...HEDHV6ZWV6VQ2SS

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Folding...3645&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-Henckels-...3645&sr=8-5

All compact, all good to have.

#221525 - 04/14/11 04:24 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Those look sweet there Basecamp.

A bit pricey for my taste but very nice if you have that sort of change rattling around your pocket. The $9 units might wander to the checkout line with me if I was feeling extravagant.

#221550 - 04/14/11 03:55 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Those look sweet there Basecamp.

... The $9 units might wander to the checkout line with me if I was feeling extravagant.

The Tweezerman and the Inox are the easiest to use (the Zwilling "lever" and cutting "jaw" are a two-piece set-up, whereas it is a single piece on the others...they disengage in use), the Inox and the Zwilling" are the sturdiest and will probably outlast the Tweezerman.

They take up very little space in an Altoids tin sized kit.

#224369 - 05/26/11 01:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Basecamp]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

I cannot attest to this model but Tweezerman makes the best nail clippers I have tried.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224376 - 05/26/11 04:34 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Susan

Yes. Don't forget shampoo. With less than three ounces of shampoo, you're a fine, upstanding American. With six ounces, you're obviously planning to wash hair in a manner that supports terrorism.

This reminds me, I have a picture of me holding an M4 rifle and M9 pistol, with my tray table and seat backs in their upright and locked position.

Apparently commercial liners don't have "rifle rack" options for their military charters.

#224391 - 05/26/11 10:37 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Protocols can be strange. I remember one report where troops were required to go through the metal detectors, their firearms were passed around the detector but allowed on board, and, oddest of all, all their knives were confiscated, locked in a box, and transported as baggage in the belly of the airplane.

#224426 - 05/27/11 07:01 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

and THAT reminds me of an absurd incident I was subjected to way back before 9/11 made air travel problematic

I once turned up on the airport with my carry-on luggage being a small daypack that contained two things:
1) A gallon of very high proof alcholol. (Let's just say there was a lot of Kalman filters that needed cleaning that semester).
2) A 5" Mora knife (the wood handled Mora Classic).

After X-ray, no one cared about the contents of my one gallon canister - but the knife was not allowed on board. Even pre-9/11 you were not allowed to carry a 5" fixed blade knife on board. The easiest solution suggested by the clerk was just to "tag" the bag and put it in the cargo with my checked in luggage. Which wasn't such a good idea, since the canister cap was not sealing properly. You don't get very popular spilling alcohol all over everyone else's luggage. I had to keep the can upright, which meant it must go with me as carry-on luggage. I suddenly realized that I did NOT want to explain in detail exactly WHY I had such a grudge against putting my daypack in the cargo hold. After all, highly flammable liquids are not that popular among airline crews...

The problem was solved by putting the Mora knife in a cardboard box labelled "extremely dangerous items - not carry on luggage". This did not hold up very well to the rigors of checked in luggage - at conveyer belt at the other airport, there was the sorry remains of a squashed cardboard box lying beside a Mora knife... It takes a bit more than overworked, underpaid luggage throwers to destroy a Mora.

In memory of better days, where you could find solution oriented airport security personnel...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (05/27/11 07:03 AM)

#225691 - 06/10/11 10:55 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My bodum travel mug (blue), small tin of flavored gourmet coffee grinds, and a newly purchased bottle of kaluha, stored iin a SS flask! (Thanks for the idea Paul!)

[url=]Bodum Travel Mug[/url]

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.