Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#220471 - 03/29/11 05:16 AM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I was able to pick up a new Soto for $48.00 total. Still more than I wanted to pay, but I'm curious about the stove. I need to run a series of comparative tests on it.

I suspect that at 5C above the vaporization point of a given fuel, both a conventional needle valved stove and a regulated stove (i.e. the Soto) will run equally well.

It's the range between about 1C to 2C above the vaporization point of the fuel up to 5C above vaporization where I think the regulated burner will have an advantage.

Now is the ability to operate in temperatures that are only 2 or 3 degrees C lower than what a conventional stove can operate a meaningful advantage, and does that ability justify the Soto's high price? Well, that's mostly a judgment call, but for me, I don't think 2 to 3 degrees C difference justifies paying $30.00 more than something like a Pocket Rocket.

To me fuel selection (propane and isobutane only, no n-butane) and putting the canister in a pan of (liquid) water are better, cheaper options. As long as a canister of propane-isobutane is kept in liquid water, a needle valved stove will continue to operate. Isobutane boils (vaporizes) at -12C/11F. Liquid water has to be above 0C/32F. At 12C/21F above the vaporization temperature, you should have plenty of gas pressure.

But, that's just what I think based on the chemistry and technology involved. I won't know for sure without some testing.

HJ

#220585 - 03/30/11 06:01 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Okay this is the final iteration of this set up. The additional shielding is stored on the pot itself and only installed when necessary. I would like to seal the gap between it and windscreen but see no easy/compact way of doing it. Still I think this is about as windproof as it gets and still fit everything inside the pot.

#220586 - 03/30/11 06:05 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Looking good! Have you tested it at all?

HJ

P.S. Nice adapter. wink

#220588 - 03/30/11 06:08 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Still too cold outside for a canister stove to work properly, going to set up a fan indoors to try it tonight.

Haha, thanks for telling me about the pick up tube, otherwise there's no way I'd known about it!

#220589 - 03/30/11 07:00 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, in order to use that adapter, you have to orient it correctly. If not, you've got a liquid feed which is a problem if you're stove doesn't have a pre-heat loop. Actually, any adapter that uses the 100% butane bayonet connector type canisters needs to be oriented notch up.

HJ

#221496 - 04/13/11 09:20 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Oh boy, this is not good, my new discovery just put a big kink in this setup I just completed.

Primus express spider plus a fuel canister will fit inside the pot! So for no size increase and minimum weight addition I can have a remote canister stove with pre-heat loop. So now I'm thinking revamp the setup to around that stove instead, but that would mean my current windshield and butane adapter would be useless.

Urg, I need to learn to be happy with what I have...

#221501 - 04/13/11 10:02 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The butane adapter will still work with the Primus Express Spider remove stove (although I doubt the butane adapter will fit into the Eta pot with the rest of the gear) and you can make your own custom wind shield and bottom heat reflector using titanium foil available from;

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

You can also peg out the wind shield using a couple of titanium tent stakes to keep everything in place for the new stove. wink

#221505 - 04/13/11 10:38 PM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

It would work but there are much smaller ones without the legs and plate from Kovea.

I'll see, going to wait till the store have one of their regular sales to get one.

#221516 - 04/14/11 12:36 AM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Oh boy, this is not good, my new discovery just put a big kink in this setup I just completed.

Primus express spider plus a fuel canister will fit inside the pot! So for no size increase and minimum weight addition I can have a remote canister stove with pre-heat loop. So now I'm thinking revamp the setup to around that stove instead, but that would mean my current windshield and butane adapter would be useless.

Urg, I need to learn to be happy with what I have...
Having a remote canister stove with a pre-heat loop doesn't buy you all that much in warm weather. An upright canister set up is pretty quick and easy and is the most popular configuration.

For windy or cold weather, though, the remote canister set up sure is nice.

HJ

#221517 - 04/14/11 12:39 AM Re: Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
It would work but there are much smaller ones without the legs and plate from Kovea.

I'll see, going to wait till the store have one of their regular sales to get one.
You might hold off on getting the Kovea adapter for a remote canister set up, at least for cold weather. The remote set up in cold weather really needs a propane-isobutane gas mix to work well. The adapter is for just 100% butane which is a poor cold weather fuel. For temps under 5C/40F, I'd stay away from the adapter and 100% butane.

HJ

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.