Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#224408 - 05/27/11 02:08 AM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Susan
there is nothing wrong with cheap foods like rice, beans, spaghetti and sauces, spices, etc. If people turn up their noses at these things, they obviously aren't hungry enough.

I would beg to differ. People can have any number of health issues and therefore would be better off going hungry than eating something that would make them worse off. For example, a person may be able to eat the beans but not the spaghetti.

From my observation, there is a higher percentage of preparedness among people with health issues than in the general population. However there is always the possibility that the disaster they are facing also took away or separated them from their preparedness.

Jeanette Isabelle

Very good point. My son has Celiac disease and would be much much worse off if he ate something with with even a minuscule amount of wheat gluten in it. That is one of the main reasons why I started getting equipped since it is highly unlikely that his dietary needs could be safely met without some extra planning on my part.

-Eric

#224424 - 05/27/11 06:26 AM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
How about:

Roll of cordage

I wonder about this. Would a person who does not have a preparedness mind set know what to do with cords?

It all comes down th the actual persons. Skills and ingenuity isn't restricted to carpenters or preppers. Some people won't be able to make emergency repairs even with the most well stocked set of tools and materials. Others will do whatever it takes with whatever at hand, surprising everyone including themselves with their ingenuity and creativity.

The way I see it, preparedness is all about taking some elements of chance out of the equation. So you don't just "happen" to have a cord lying around - you deliberately stock lots of it because it is so highly useful.

Same thing with skills and mental preparation. You don't wait until SHTF for occasions to practice your skills and ingenuity, raising the odds that you have what it takes when you need it.

In a SHTF situation you must work with what you have, including the particular members of your community. Some non-preppers will surprise you in a positive way, others will be a huge disappointment. You may not know which is which in advance - but it is a safe bet that at least SOME will be able to make good use of whatever tools and materials at hand.

#224477 - 05/27/11 09:54 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Would a person who does not have a preparedness mind set know what to do with cords?

Anything that you have and don't know how to use becomes a trade item.

Sue

#224480 - 05/27/11 10:06 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...there is nothing wrong with cheap foods like rice, beans, spaghetti and sauces, spices, etc. If people turn up their noses at these things, they obviously aren't hungry enough."

Quote:
People can have any number of health issues and therefore would be better off going hungry than eating something that would make them worse off.

I wasn't talking food allergies and health issues, I was talking about people wanting to pick and choose during a survival situation, when they didn't have the sense or foresight to store the foods that they're complaining you aren't providing for them.

Anyone who requires certain types of foods and doesn't keep enough of them on hand to survive for a week or two would seem to indicate a serious lack of survival instincts.

Sue

#224483 - 05/27/11 10:23 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Susan]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Anyone who requires certain types of foods and doesn't keep enough of them on hand to survive for a week or two would seem to indicate a serious lack of survival instincts.

Or they have not read my entire post.

From my observation, there is a higher percentage of preparedness among people with health issues than in the general population. However there is always the possibility that the disaster they are facing also took away or separated them from their preparedness.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224487 - 05/27/11 11:05 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: jenks]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia

I wasn't talking food allergies and health issues, I was talking about people wanting to pick and choose during a survival situation,

There is interesting psychology surrounding people and food. Allergies aside. You need look no further than the vast array of eating disorders in western society, and top that off with people wanting to try and exert some form of control (choice of food) when a stressful situation, and I suspect there will be some interesting outcomes.

To draw from TV experiences, often in the first day or two people can be a little relaxed, even fussy, about food, but when hunger kicks in and food runs out the situation does change. For example in The Colony(s) they start to catch rats, eat cat food (at least one person anyway), and cockroaches … something which could not have happened on day two no matter what the situation was.

I always remember seeing an interview with a bushman (in Africa) and he was asked what was the most important skill for a hunter, his one word reply “Hunger”.
When the food runs out and we get hungry, we slowly realize that anything edible becomes fair game and even the inedible can be an option. I refer you to some of the early Arctic explorers like USS Jeannette where the crew boiled and ate leather, and even more grim: the fate of The Whale-Ship Essex (on which Moby Disk is loosely based) where the crew were drift in lifeboats for many weeks …

Hey I’m not advocating anything here, just pointing out that being fussy about food is a luxury which most of us can afford; given limited options we can all adapt (allergies permitting); given desperation, anything is possible.

#224488 - 05/27/11 11:20 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: Aussie]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Aussie
I refer you to some of the early Arctic explorers like USS Jeannette where the crew boiled and ate leather, and even more grim: the fate of The Whale-Ship Essex (on which Moby Disk is loosely based) where the crew were drift in lifeboats for many weeks …

Thanks for the information. I've learned something new today. I share a name with a ship.

Jeanette Isabelle

#224932 - 06/01/11 11:07 PM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: jenks]
mpb
Unregistered

Why not think of the possible here, instead the impossible?
How I help my neighbore already:
Wildfire burned down her house last summer, she got away with the cloth she wore, her purse and the car.
Everything alse went up in flames.
We took her in, she lives in our daughter's room and now we build her a house on her property.
Having an unexpected house guest for nearly one year is a strain on everything, including relationship.
The moral of the story: get insurance!!
It DOES pay!!

#224938 - 06/02/11 12:37 AM Re: Helping your neighbors [Re: jenks]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If anyone has had their curiosity piqued by the Essex reference one of the better books on the subject is:

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sea-Tragedy-...m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Worth the $13, I bought mine when it was closer to $24, many libraries have it as loaner for free.

One interesting aspect is that misconceptions about island tribes, and fear of cannibalism, played a big part in making their situation much worse. Which supported my idea that a lot of survival is mental, you are controlled by your fears and assumptions, and knowledge base.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.