Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#221302 - 04/11/11 03:20 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A reasonable sized flat-bar 12" to 18" can do a lot of jobs well but still ride in the bottom of a gym bag. You may want to slip it into a tube sock, one from each end, to disguise it and keep it from clanking when you put down the bag. Longer is better but even the short 12" bar can give you some serious mechanical advantage.

A flat bar is great for opening stuck doors or windows (as is common after an earthquake), for pounding through drywall, as a club, and as a wedge to hold a door closed if someone goes postal.

http://www.amazon.com/15-Utility-Wonder-Bar-PB/dp/B002GQ1OXS

A pair of underwear, socks, and a tee shirt, and ideally a travel-size deodorant, are almost as good as a shower. Doesn't take a disaster for those spares to come in handy.

Edited to add link.

Edited by Art_in_FL (04/11/11 03:21 AM)

#221304 - 04/11/11 04:08 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Very true, the list of exceptions is massive. My clunky explanation is just that, and I don't insist on it. I'm trying to describe what I've observed, and landmines I've dodged, sort of. (I have some difficulty with this odd divide, since I understand a bit about both sides of the line, and am hired to write for them both. And that's why they hire me I guess. Always write for your audience.)

#221305 - 04/11/11 05:47 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I’ve just opened up my Office kit, and most things have been covered already, but a few extra items I have packed are:

Toothbrush and paste, toothpicks
Mini vanity mirror (for personal appearance rather than signal mirror)
Personal wipes
Personal hygiene products (you know what I mean !)
Small pack tissues
Small soap
Deodorant
Zip lock plastic bags (to seal up anything messy or bio haz)
Small cans of food (beans – they are very long life)
Can opener, bottle opener
Sugar sweets – energy for walking home
Family photo
Drinking straws (from take-away food store)
Magnifying glass
Printed contact and emergency numbers
Cable ties
Thick permanent marker pan (to make posters to place in the window “Help I’m in here”)
Small radio AM/FM (with light) (I chose one with USB, solar panel and wind up so that it stays charged – head phones too)
Pre-purchased public transport ticket.
Dusk masks – P2 standard (aka N95) with carbon filter. The carbon is largely to assist with odour elimination. I would like to get a proper “smoke hood” which will protect against the toxins produced by burning man made materials, but haven’t found a suitable one as yet. (Most high rise fatalities are from toxins in the smoke, not the fire itself). Seems like you’re in a very chemical prone area, so some kind of effective respirator may be a doubly good idea !

I see you have included maps and public transport info. Can I suggest going 1 step further and plan some routes home (if you have not done so already) both via PT and on foot. If possible check out those routes – perhaps go for a bike ride one weekend and make sure you know the way. Also consider if you have any family, friends, or even work colleagues who you may be able to walk to or get to via PT, depending on the situation, you may not be able to travel home, but may be able to go in the opposite direction (plan the route) ? I’m sure you’ll have planned the route to schools too, so you can get there if necessary.

#221309 - 04/11/11 10:49 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This vaccuum packer sounds like it might be quite an adventure. Thanks gang!

Art, I had the same thought about extra clothes this weekend. Someone else mentioned unders earlier and it sounds like a no-brainer (that my brain took a while to clue into). I've added a pair and a light pair of zip-off pants. (I already had shirt and socks.)

RONA and I are going to talk crowbars, prybars, flat bars this morning on my way into the office.

Aussie, a mask with respirator is a great idea! Hopefully I won't regret not having a full suit (there are no chems in our building but there are next door).

I have a toiletrie
bag with toothbrush & paste, deodarant, etc. And have included feminine hygeine stuff. (Great for personal use AND first aid.)

To your point Doug, I am working with both groups but it's early days so want to get the lay of the land first.

As for the ki pills, I don't know. That's what they plan to give the kids in the schools but it may depend on the type of nuclear accident. Still researching that one.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221310 - 04/11/11 11:11 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good call on route planning and pre-paid transit passes, Aussie. I've driven the route several times in my car, and know the area pretty well by car, but walking/riding my bike will give me a better perspective. That's the plan for my day off this week.

I'm stopping into the transit offices today too. There are 2 different train systems available and 2 different bus systems too. (1 of the train services is the same as 1 of the bus services, so 3 companies in total.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221425 - 04/12/11 01:04 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I suggest a 3m Half mask with p100 Pink filters instead of a basic dust mask which if anyone has actually hard used are near useless for more then 10 minutes.

#221431 - 04/12/11 02:52 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not sure what you mean by a basic dust mask but the N95 rated masks are good for considerably more than a few minutes in my experience. These generally have an exhale valve in the middle of the mask. The simpler and cheapest dust mask, the so called 'nuisance dust mask" is a little too basic. It really doesn't exclude all that much, even when fresh, although it is better than nothing at all..

None of these are very effective for vapors or gases. If I were working near a chemical plant with the possibility of hazardous emissions, I would want to get a mask and canisters rated for the probable chemicals I might encounter, if that is at all possible. What do you chemists say about this?

#221434 - 04/12/11 03:05 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

While it's probably already been mentioned, leather gloves would be high on my list but I am in earthquake country.

#221441 - 04/12/11 04:59 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Its not the n95 part its the general nature of the disposable dust mask. They are Paper And often made in one size. They do not seal off perfectly if at all. I have used "High end" N95 masks and have found much of the stuff I ddint want to breath on my face under the mask...Not fun...Nothing works better for the price then a 20$ silicone half mask. Its reusable with 12$ For 4 Pink P100 (Better then N95) Filters (You use two at once btw).

#221444 - 04/12/11 05:44 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Backpacjac,

I keep an old breifcase in my office (and one in my car) which is my number one "emergency" bag. It contains the clothing and necessaries for an overnight stay (or -- more likely -- to clean up after I have managed to get myself dirty smile ). No one even notices the case (or the fact that I have two) and if they do they know I am a bit sloppy and often need a change of shirt. Hiding things in plain sight is often the best idea.

It also contains a few of those important items you have discussed, a duplicate of my EDC. I could come out of a shower and have myself back in full kit without any of my previous pocket stuffings. It has been used many times, lots more than the pack setting next to it in the car which is my 72 hour bag.

I wear jeans all the time with walking shoes or hiking boots, so I don't need a "different" set of clothing.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.