The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#221157 - 04/08/11 02:55 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: Frisket]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am a big fan of using cotton balls loaded up with petroleum jelly.

Doing several demonstratons at a sportsman show recently my ignited cotton stayed lit for an average of 4 minutes, the longest was 6 minutes.

Still, I keep a bunch of different fire starter materials in a zip lock bag that goes in my pack.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.com

#221160 - 04/08/11 03:14 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Although I seldom use "tinder" of the type you are talking about for fires that count, I carry and have used both Tinder Quick and cotton balls with Vaseline with great effect for test fires with spark type starters in all types of conditions.

I don't use these types of tinder because I usually (except when practicing other techniques) light my fires with a match (occasionally I do use a Bic). Using very small pine twigs or fuzz sticks I rarely need anything more. If things are wet, I use a 3x3 square of old t shirt material that is soaked in wax.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#221319 - 04/11/11 02:27 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: Phaedrus]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I admit that I'm "magnesium challenged"
My experience has been similar.

I rely on the Tinder Qwik, as I find it reliable and non-messy. I bought a bag of 50 from somewhere a while back. I also have some tinder card, which I tend to use more often because it's not as good (eg not water-proof) but good enough and I might as well use it up.

#221321 - 04/11/11 02:44 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: Brangdon]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Think of the magnesium as something similar to the head of a match. It can help to convert a small spark into a very brief flame to light something a little bigger and longer burning.

Don't count on it to do anything else.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#221331 - 04/11/11 03:45 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: Mike_H]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Sometimes I also use jute twine.

Anyone tried petroleum jelly and jute twine? Or wax and jute twine?

#221343 - 04/11/11 05:47 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I haven't had any luck with waxing jute twine...somehow I'm getting too much wax soaking in and it won't burn. Jute works very well but sometimes it's hard to keep it dry, and it really has to be dry. So far, PJ cotton balls, waxed cotton and Tinder Qwik have been my best options. Plain cotton balls also work well but burn pretty fast. The round cotton facial cleansing pads also work pretty well.

#221344 - 04/11/11 05:55 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, the Weber grill lighting cubes are fantastic tinder but have been a little hard to work with until now. The problem is that when exposed to air they seem to "corrode" or the volatile flammable part evaporates. Cubes that have been open for a month are very light and will hardly burn at all. And they leach thru some kinds of plastic that I've tried to store them in.

But I might have solved the storage issue. Last nite I vacuum sealed a box of them into various size packages and with different techniques. I did a few single packs, and a few muli-packs (either 3 or 4 to a bag). Some of them I vacuumed "naked" and some I wrapped in tin foil first. And most of them are double vacced, that is one vacuum sealed bag sealed into another bag. This should hopefully eliminate leaks and preserve the cubes. I dated them all so that I can monitor them for degradation over time.

For those who aren't familiar with the Weber cubes they appear to be virtually identical to WetFire Tinder, except that you can get a 24 count package for about half what an 8 count of Wet Fire costs. If my DIY packaging holds up then I will definitely have a new "go to" survival and camping tinder.

I'll try to get some pictures of the posted later tonite.

#221346 - 04/11/11 06:18 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, no time like the present! grin Here's some pics. Sorry in advance for the blue hues...I had been taking pics indoors and forgot to change the camera settings. blush

#221376 - 04/11/11 09:13 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What is tinder card? This is the first I've heard of it?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221377 - 04/11/11 09:21 PM Re: What's your favorite psk tinder? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Our Scout troop recently gave me a woven jute survival bracelet as a thank you. It looks just like the gorgeous paracord ones the guys around here make. Too nice to ruin just to try it out so I'll have to find some more. I've never tried it. Am I right to assume I use it like tinder-quick, and spread it out to make sort of a little nest to catch the spark?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.