Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#220835 - 04/04/11 12:08 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
When your formulating these list's is it not better to consider what might be commonly obtained rather than best choice.

I totally agree Leigh. I'm not the only ETSer who bangs my head against walls trying to get my loved ones to buy into basic preparedness. My best friend disassembled the kit I made her last year after a little tornado ripped through her town and scared her into her storm cellar. My mom was put out to have to find a place to store the kits I built her for her house and car. My cousin is blissfully ignorant that she lives in a tsunsmi zone, and couldn't be bothered to check the news a few weeks ago, even after several of us alerted her.

Now imagine being responsible for an entire country. No easy feat. KISS is crucial.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220840 - 04/04/11 04:36 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: bacpacjac]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I have a small family and no kids, my 94 year old Mother lives with me and she’s pretty good about carrying a flashlight. Her cell phone does stay in her purse but can’t yet get it in a pocket. And no luck at all with whistles. However, she’s great with helping with dating, rotating and making great list for food. And even helps with water rotation.

The only kits I’ve made for friends was a little pocket kit for canines this last Christmas. And I think at least some of those are being carried. They all went to people who would be considered pretty serious dog folks who actually do lots of activities with their dogs. Some of those would probably carry a dog kit before a kit for themselves.

#220849 - 04/04/11 06:49 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
When I review lists from any source including political sources, the first thing I concentrate on is - "What is blatantly missing for MY situation?".

The key word is MISSING. FEMA is a very political organization reporting to a very political government. I am surprised that they haven’t evolved to something like FOOD, WATER, CLOTHING AND A BIBLE!

In actuality, when FEMA shows up, there is a strong display of a whole class of survival items that FEMA NEVER mentions – SECURITY. They don’t recommend you stock security items, but they personally would never enter into a disaster area without them

Interestingly enough, not one list or person commenting on these lists mentions the absence of firearms. You must classify yourself as – SHEEP, WOLVES or SHEEPDOGS when you choose a personal list.

A good read – “On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#220850 - 04/04/11 07:22 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Doug_Ritter]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ponder, I'd suggest that recommending someone who doesn't already have and know how to use a gun safely, get one for emergencies, would be dangerous and do more harm than good.

Guns are more than gear. They require special training and a specific mindset. I'm not against them, but some of us aren't that far over in the preparedness spectrum that firearms are viewed as a neccessity. Just like the bible example, having guns, whether for hunting or protection, is a person choice, but unlike a bible, using a gun should never be a last minute decision.

EDIT: These lists are made for people who are just getting started in preparedness. They need to be told to store extra water and batteries, and many are hesitant to do even that. Imagine their reaction if the list said "get a gun and learn how to use it." Now imagine the nightmare if some idiot actually did get one and tried to shoot for the first time ever while under the stress of a disaster.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/04/11 07:31 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220851 - 04/04/11 07:32 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Concur. I have "a few" firearms in my list. None in my truck kit, but this is CA (not Canada). That said, I would not recommend folks who aren't familiar with firearms to go out and buy one just in case. It will still be in the case years from now and that 50 rounds box of target ammo will still be complete.

#220857 - 04/04/11 10:35 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Doug_Ritter]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I do not think lists, in their inherent nature, are enough - even if they are what would be called complete. Without context with which to understand why each thing is on a list, you are left without a way to confidently substitute, to upgrade, to improvise when something on the list runs out or becomes non-functional, or to chose which things should be first to get, or first to do without if resouces do not allow everything.

#220859 - 04/04/11 11:23 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: bacpacjac]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I agree also. Security / firearms are things I would not put on a list like FEMA's. It is hard enough getting people to prepare without touching on such an unfortunately "sensitive" topic.

I also think advocating having a security solution in a preparedness list to those that lead their daily lives without such consideration is somewhere between a waste of time and negligence. The last thing I want in my neighborhood is someone who is scared or hurt and trying to figure out how to use this thing in his kit that he maybe played with for a week or two before stashing it away. I can just hear the accidental discharge now.

On the other hand, those who have security solutions as part of their daily life / routine probably don't need to be told to include that in the planning. smile

FEMA has a tough job here - get people started without overwhelming them. Better if everyone has a little bit and starts thinking about what they need then scare them off with an "impossible" list.

- Eric

#220861 - 04/04/11 11:44 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Eric]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Skills, knowledge and ability are more significant that mere possession of items on a list. Firearms are just one area where this applies particularly well.

#220863 - 04/04/11 11:51 PM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: hikermor]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Well put. Being prepared is not just about collecting toys, excuse me, I meant tools.

I'll also note the chances of you (the proverbial you that is, not throwing stones) hurting me or some other bystander by mishandling your flint and striker or compass is a quite bit lower than the chance of hurting someone while mishandling a firearm.

- Eric

#220866 - 04/05/11 12:40 AM Re: What's Wrong with FEMA's List [Re: Eric]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, negligent discharges happen even on a relatively safe firing range by novice and experienced shooters alike. Take away the gun handling experience and then add some fear and hunger -- recipe for disaster.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.