Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2209 - 10/28/01 12:05 PM Re: Unprepared...WAKE UP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

>> I just thought I might be alienating some folks, or getting into interesting disscussions, but outside the sites focus.<<<br><br>Could be- I found it interesting, but it’s not up to me to define the limits of the site’s focus. On the other hand, it didn’t seem that discussing what those limits are and why should be outside the limits.<br><br>>>There is a sub discipline in Archaeology ( want a doctorate? invent a specialty) called experimental or replicative. These are the folks who literally duplicate lost skills, from Roman catapults to entire iron age villages.<<<br><br>I’m familiar with experimental archeology- mostly through the work of Mark Baker on the 18th century woods-rat, um, I mean frontiersperson. I have his tome within reach as I type this, we’ve even exchanged a few letters.<br><br>>>My experience has shown, that far from being inferior, these skills are often extremely sophisticated. I destroyed several imported flint nodules before fabricating one fair hand axe frown If I was in a survival situation I could, and have started a friction fire or knapped a blade.<<<br><br>Agreed. We touched on this sort of thing slightly when discussing (real) flint-and-steel. I’ve done some blacksmithing, woodwork and leatherwork, attempting to reproduce old pieces and techniques, and it teaches you how much lost knowledge there is- some things we can approximate, others we can’t, and the originals are almost always superior for their intended use, within their context, often in subtle ways that we miss entirely. The skills of our forefathers continue to amaze me. <br><br>But I also agree that trying to reproduce these skills is not often the shortest path to survival for modern man in a modern world.<br><br>>>Unfortuneatly, many, not all instructors are selling a package that includes a philosophy or world view.<<<br><br>There’s a world view that defines the “scope” of this site and forum as well- that world view works on the implicit assumption that there’s going to be a civilization to get back to, and that the scope and duration of the circumstances we need to survive are both limited. I appreciate that focus, and don’t want to change it at all- it’s a large part of what makes this site unique and different (and in my view, more valuable)- but it can’t hurt to understand the distinction.<br>

#2210 - 10/28/01 03:45 PM Re: Unprepared...WAKE UP!!!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lost, you are right. I am the forum administrator. I find myself triple checking my spelling and thoughts now. I even considered wearing a tie while online wink This is not "my" forum, and I will never say " It's my forest, and if you don't play by my rules Ill take it home." Doug's guidlines are pretty straightforward. So lets examine the varieties; short term survival, Survivalism, Homesteading, Primitive skills. All participants must leave Sebenzas, ak-47s, butterchurn handles and bearded axes at the door.

#2211 - 10/28/01 04:28 PM Re: Unprepared...WAKE UP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll give up my bearded axe when they pry my cold dead fingers... :-)<br><br>Seriously, I wouldn't want the focus to change- if for no other reason than that there are many, many other sources of information on the other varieties, but this is the best I've found on short-term. It wouldn't bother me if that were part of a formal definition of the site and forum, and it might actually help.<br><br>HOWEVER, your post reminded me to re-read Doug’s guidelines, and he clearly states that philosophical discussions are out of place here… and that presumably includes the “philosophies” behind the different types of survival preparations, exactly what I was getting into. That’s sort of a fuzzy line to try to toe, but I’ve probably crossed it more than once.. so I stand corrected, and I’ll drop the thread. “Survival equipment and techniques” it is.

#2212 - 10/28/01 06:31 PM Re: Unprepared...WAKE UP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everybody seems to be able to speak well and philosophize, what about some real information. But then I guess where limited to what can fit into a small tin. Maybe I seem brash but the helpful information seems to take a back seat to idle chatter.

#2213 - 10/28/01 06:49 PM Re: Unprepared...WAKE UP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine.<br>

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 459 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.