Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#221143 - 04/08/11 01:59 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lono
Looks like a good kit to me.

You might consider a CPR barrier ... a trusty crow-bar ...
Money in addition to the roll of quarters. Maybe enough to get a room at a nearby hotel/motel.

Good calls Lono. Thanks! Made me think of extra nitrile gloves and a good pair of work gloves too!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221144 - 04/08/11 02:09 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I'd add leather gloves, dust mask and a small pry bar in the event of an earthquake.

#221145 - 04/08/11 02:13 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great suggestions Liathmor!

You're so right about tight packing. I'm glad I have a day off to play. wink

I subbed a primaloft jacket for the fleece, scrunched into a big ziplock. (warmer, smaller and lighter!)

I'll pack some MREs in my desk drawer and threw one main meal of one into the pack along with a heater). I'll also store some more meals in the office kitchen cupboards.

That therma rest is a good idea. i've added it to the shopping list.

#221146 - 04/08/11 02:21 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good calls rewba! Almost forgot dusk masks too. An earthquake isn't likely but industrial accidents and fires are.

#221147 - 04/08/11 02:38 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on a sleeping pad. I use a ridgerest or similar.

Small radio?

Paper copies of important info; map, transit schedules, friends phone numbers, etc

Suggestion: Much of the camping gear in the car, but can you keep a 'gym bag' at your desk? For toiletries, snacks, change of clothes.

#221148 - 04/08/11 02:42 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good call on the map, transit info and radio teacher. Thanks! My edc already includes copies of vital info, etc. and my car's prepped for at least 3 days.

I haven't added a cel phone charger. I edc a cel phonr and i'm working for a telecom company so there's always extras in the office.

#221159 - 04/08/11 03:09 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've been thinking quite a bit lately about the physical ability requirements of "getting home" if it involves more than a 20 mile trek.. I think that if I lived in earthquake country, a used $150 mountain style bike with heavy duty inner tubes, a small hand air pump, rim tools, and patch kit on a used bike rack might make sense...add some luggage racks/panniers to lash your pack too, even if you had to push the bike, would make your passage considerably easier, especially if you are my age.....my planned route home would be to follow existing roads, and use the off road capabilities if required

for bacpacjac... is there a place to stash a bike at work... lock it up, remove the seat to preclude theft?

Edited by LesSnyder (04/08/11 03:11 PM)

#221162 - 04/08/11 03:25 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I'd also try to figure out a way to have a small flashlight, whisle and car key on my person at all times. And a knife if you can get away with it.

#221169 - 04/08/11 04:22 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm with you rewba. I've always got those along with a bunch of other stuff, depending on the number of pockets. (There's always a micro photon on my necklace and a leatherman on my belt. The leatherman sheath is packed with strike-anywhere matches and a AAA mag light.) Just threw an extra house key into the bag though.

Good call on the bike Les! We've got a small warehouse outback and can keep a bike in there. There's an extrs one in the garage that I'll take in on Monday.

Thanks!

#221174 - 04/08/11 04:37 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I don't know what the expected disasters are in your area: earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods? What I'd have depends on what I'd expect. If there's a danger of earthquakes or nearby explosions (see my 3d paragraph), I'd have leather gloves, glowsticks (no sparks to ignite vapors), dustmask, shoes I'd be able to walk over debris, broken glass, etc. with, maybe some thick clothes that would offer protection against snags, even a hard hat.

In addition, how close are the major highway and the train tracks? Do trucks and trains haul in bad chemicals, gases, fuels, etc? I'd want to figure out how to shelter in place in my office if I were downwind of hazardous vapors from accidents on the highway or rail.

What are the other industries in your area? Welding, car painting, etc.? I'd be interested in shelter in place if there are hazardous chemicals in my industrial area, plus in knowing safe places to evacuate to and safe routes that are upwind, uphill, and upstream.

Forty kilometers is about 25 miles? That's too far for me to walk in a reasonable length of time in my situation and especially in inclement weather; others would find it a walk in the park, I'm sure. One of my plans would be how to meet up with family members if we're stranded. We have a communications plan that assumes phones are out, but we're both hams and can rely on our radios for communications.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.