The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#221177 - 04/08/11 04:59 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Phillip! I'm updating the OP as I go and have added a major threats section. Silly to leave out that info - sorry!

Yes, there hazardous chemicals all around us. The tracks and highway are both within half a mile, as is a nuclear plant. I'm not sure exactly what's in each building but we are in the middle of the major transportation corridor for the province. I imagine that just about anything could be next door or going by at any moment.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/08/11 05:01 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221180 - 04/08/11 05:20 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

frisket, I stole a good thought from your survival kit thread and added garbage bags.

#221181 - 04/08/11 05:34 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Great ideas

In my office kit , I made sure to have 3 layers

Layer #2 is the GHB or survival kit , whatever you want to call it.

There is Layer #1 , which is a survival necklace , a few essentail tools on a neck-ID lanyard. It is placed within the GHB, but in an emergency, 1st thing is to take it out and place it around my neck (and put the tools under my shirt or in my front pocket) . It has a small flashlight, small knife, small minitool ..etc.

Layer #3 is a bigger kit , or more supplies in my locker or office drawers.

You may have a space problem for layer #3 . You could solve it in several ways. For example, the first aid kit could be an "office FAK" , that you suggest to your boss to have in the office. If there are industrial threats around you , convincing the boss to have safety equipment may be easy, or it maybe required by the law, depending on your local rules and regulations.

Tea and other bug-in stuff can be part of your office tea club, especially if you have a friend or two to share with. Shortly, it doesn't have to be literally locked in YOUR drawers if you don't have that much space. Just spread the things and don't pile them under "emergency kit" that may attract unwated attention. Part of my survival stuff has been scattered among "project tool boxes" and "project supplies" for example. So, I made sure that gloves, hammer ..etc, are available without taking much of MY space or MY money. I won't use them for me anyway, except in an emergency.

I have the 3-layer system in most of my kits. Each of them has a "survival necklace " to be removed from the bag ASAP and worn around the neck in an emergeny. So, if I lose the major bag in the dark or somethingf, I have something ON ME !! And each kit is backed up by larger ( maybe scattered) stash of stuff that can give support in bigger disaster or badder circumstances than expected.

Good luck and stay safe

#221182 - 04/08/11 05:45 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Besides the stuff in the kit. It will pay to study the surrounding of your work to home area. recognize any useful facilities ... like a motel, a restaurant you may take shelter in a downpour, or service station with a tow truck. Take phone numbers and approximate distances whenever possible.

If a female colleague lives nearer to the office, try to to know her better and have her as a friend. You never know when you have to spend a night at her house.

One of my relatives lives a few miles/kilometers from where I work, and I did have to walk to his house a few years back when I left work late and my car refused to move. And that was before cell phones.

#221186 - 04/08/11 06:14 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: rebwa]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Those are exactly the items carried on my key ring,plus a capsule with cash. The knife is a SAK Classic, tiny but mighty.

The key ring is always with me.

#221189 - 04/08/11 07:30 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
What are you missing? Not much. Between what you carry alredy and what’s in the bag you appear very well equipped as is.

I only have a few things I’d suggest: a hank of paracord, a good sewing kit, extra safety pins, eyeglass repair kit (or do you normally wear contacts?), a compass to go with that map if needed, and a sturdy fixed blade knife.

What are your plans if there is any kind of chemical spill? I was thinking short of some kind of chemical or biohazard suit it would be difficult if not impossible, without specific training, to be prepared for every type of chemical spill. This is beyond my pay grade … I am not even sure if there is one suit that would protect against most or all chemical spills. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge and training can comment on this aspect?

Given the distances involved with you getting home this discussion might also be relevant.

#221191 - 04/08/11 07:55 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Y'all are the best!

Chisel, we think alike. What's on your body might be all you have in an emergency. I've got a knife fire and light on my belt at all times, and a keyring in my pocket with car key whistle light and SAK, and the first thing I'll put on is the lanyard with whistle and light.

For the immediate timeframe I'm going to stick to my desk and put a little food and water in the kitchen. I'll gradually move into the space and set-things up.

I've got friends living about halfway home that would be happy to let me crash there if needed and I do know some people from Scouts who live near work that I suspect would be happy to help out.

Mark, I added extra glasses and sunglasses but didn't think of a repair kit. I've got a bunch of safety pins in the FAK and a sewing kit is going in too. Thanks!

I've got a compass in my EDC and am working on maps. Good call!

I've been debating adding a fixed blade knife. I've got a folder, multi-tool, SAK and a prybar already and space is getting tight.

Not sure about a chemical spill or the like. I'm still researching.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/08/11 10:44 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#221192 - 04/08/11 07:55 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Mark_F]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What are your plans if there is any kind of chemical spill? I was thinking short of some kind of chemical or biohazard suit it would be difficult if not impossible, without specific training, to be prepared for every type of chemical spill. This is beyond my pay grade … I am not even sure if there is one suit that would protect against most or all chemical spills. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge and training can comment on this aspect?

A Full NBC (MOD Mk4) suit is available for around $15.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/a...rmy-258785.html

An S10 Respirator costs around $70. S10 Filter around another $40

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/a...rmy-737324.html

Rubber Gloves around $3 and over boots around $12.

http://www.springfields.co.uk/soldier-95-kit-webbing/nbc-gas-masks-equipment/?id=378

A roll of Duct Tape and Haversack bag to keep everything in.

So full Emergency CBRN individual protection could be had for around $140. But you wouldn't want your work colleagues to find out you have them at work as it would generate to many questions.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/08/11 07:57 PM)

#221201 - 04/08/11 09:54 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL@ Liath_mor. I think if my co-workers saw what I already have they'd start thinking "nutter".

#221203 - 04/08/11 10:26 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Small radio?
Several small, cheap dollar store flashlights to hand out?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.