Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#221204 - 04/08/11 10:47 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good call Blast!

A radio came up earlier but slipped my mind somehow. Putting it in now.

I don't suspect (at least yet) that the people I work with are like-minded. Having some extra supplies on hand for them is a great idea.

Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221205 - 04/08/11 10:56 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
LOL@ Liath_mor. I think if my co-workers saw what I already have they'd start thinking "nutter".

Actually, you will be the go to gal when it is known that you have useful objects.

#221207 - 04/08/11 11:38 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You're probably right Liath_mor. At least this time around there are only 5 people in the office, and not the 200 I had on my team the last time around. Getting that many people on-board is like herding cats. This time it looks like I'll get to create the safety procedures from scratch and not be committeed to death.

#221208 - 04/08/11 11:58 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Nice list and all I can think to add is some words of caution.

Make sure you know your companies policies (or ask permission) before bringing certain things into an office or work environment. I have worked in several offices and what is allowed varies quite a bit.

Where I currently work any sort of open flame is not allowed and the prohibition extends to unlit candles or fuel sources (like esbit tabs etc.). The company also prohibits knives or any other weapons on company property. In practice, small pocket knives, think small Swiss Army Knives, get ignored but a large folder will attract unwanted attention. Office workers are often not allowed to possess tools either.

My answer to most of the above is to keep a very small, very discrete couple of multi-tools (leatherman squirt, gerber artifact, Swiss tech screwsall) and a small lighter mixed in with my clutter of pens and computer cords, in addition to carrying a SAK Alox moneyclip. My boss knows I have these things and is cool with it since I keep them discrete. Larger/more capable equivalents are kept in my car.

- Eric

#221211 - 04/09/11 12:11 AM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good advice Eric. Being discrete is definitely important, especially since I'm just starting. Rules aside, people make impressions quickly and it's easy to make the wrong one.

#221243 - 04/09/11 05:19 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I didn't see any mention of comfy shoes for walking. If that's what you wear to work, great, but if you wear heels...

Someone suggested a small pry bar. I would investigate the room/area where you usually work, and see if there is a place to "deposit" a decent-sized pry bar (16-18"), like in a closet or somewhere. Even a reasonable jarring of the building like having a semi run into it might jam the doors closed... got a fire, too? Choose one that you can get a good grip on. I bought one of those flat ones, and found that I can't apply decent pressure on it very well except with the heels of my hands or my foot, which seems to be a serious limitation. I replaced it with a standard hexagonal type with the hook on one end.

Flashlights... One thing that is engraved in my memory is from this site from some years back, I think Martin F. posted it. He was on board a commercial plane (still on the ground) and all the lights went out. In the pitch dark, almost immediately people started to get anxious, a precursor to panic. Marty had a small flashlight (maybe a Photon?) in his pocket and turned it on to get the larger flashlight out of his bag in the overhead. As soon as he switched on that tiny light, people calmed down. They couldn't see much, but they could see that small light, and it was enough for them to focus on and ease the tension. My hardware store carries small Photon ripoffs for $3 each. Darned cheap insurance against panic, I would say.

Nice thread, Jackie!

Sue

#221245 - 04/09/11 06:01 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am a strong believer in a flashlight as a component of EDC. It is always handy, looking under the desk or in dark corners or in first aid diagnosis, as well as performing during the half of the 24 hour cycle when the sun is not up. I have put abut $40 into a AAA key chain light with variable light levels - tough, reliable, and highly useful.

#221257 - 04/09/11 10:55 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Sue! It's not my thread though. It's ours. One more reason I love this site!

No worries - I am not a heels kinda girl. I try to avoid them as much as possible, and when I do I always take my hiking shoes or boots with me. My friends with shoe and fashion fetishes are continually flustered by my lack on enthusiasm for their latest scores.

Good call on the pry bar, Sue. It's got to be usable or it's just something to stub your toe on. I'm going to try some out before buying a big one. I got a little on in my kit now but you're right, a big one may be more handy. There's not enough leverage in those little ones for bigger jobs. In an industrial area, an explosion the rocks the building is a possibility.

I with you on the light Sue and Hikermor. Like a lot of people, I wear a necklace that never comes off. The difference is that mine's got a micro photon on it. I take a lot of ribbing for it but I use it almost every day.

[url=]EDC Necklace[/url]

If I had to make a top three thing to car list, light and a knife would tied for first. Mulitple redundancies seem like overkill sometimes but I'd never want to be caught without.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/09/11 11:43 PM)

#221258 - 04/09/11 11:10 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Don't forget the nail clippers to do your hangnails.....

#221265 - 04/09/11 11:38 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No way Hikermor! I've got a pair in my FAK. I had an infected hangnail almost take my whole finger a while back so I don't take any chances. Nail clippers seem to do the best job of keeping things in order.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.