The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220867 - 04/05/11 12:52 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the inspiration frisket! My son saw yours while I was on-line yesterday and asked what was in it and why. We were putting away some gear tonight and he found the bag of extra stuff that lives in the bottom of the closet. He wanted to try to put a kit together with it, and with yours in mind, here's what he came up with:

-obusform fanny pack, with a main compartment, waterbottle pocket and a second open stuff pocket
-water bottle
-1 hot wheels car
-buck folding knife in nylon sheath
-cheap multi-tool
-$3.27 in change
-lip balm with SPF
-emerg mylar blanket
-emerg rain poncho
-red bandana
-1 large red garbage bag
-2 plastic shopping bags
-2 bic lighters
-pill vial with: strike-anywhere matches, cotton balls and tinder-quick
-fox 40
-3 feet duct tape
-small spool of thead
-pair of shoe laces
-mini flashlight & extra batteries
-2 pocket warmers
-2 packs each of bug spray and sun screen
-purse-sized pack of kleenex
-1 pack dental floss
-1 ganola bar
-he even made a self-contained first aid kit with: scissors, gauze pads, banadaids, polysporin and a triangular bandage

Not bad for an almost 8 year old! Now i just need to figure out how to get the knives and fire out until he learns how to use them safely. wink

EDIT: I'm not trying ti hijack the thread. Just saying "thanks" and showing an indirect result of your sharing.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/05/11 11:19 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220871 - 04/05/11 01:54 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Neato =D Did you Get to check out the other thread in the gallery of the rest of my kit?

Ireckon,

Yeah I agree the Bag while on the large size for a kit is still pretty small tho Imma attempt to fit something hopefully in it. If I can ill be sure to post it.

#220885 - 04/05/11 11:18 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You've put together a great kit frisket. Others had made good suggestions, like adding a shelter element or water purifying tabs. I'm learning and rethinking my own kits as we go. (You put me over the edge to buy that winchester knive I've been eyeing.) I've got a question: why tupperware and not a metal container that you could boil water in? I've got a few with lids that appear to be about the same size, and there was a thread a little while ago that showed off little baking pans that would probably work well too. They won't carry water like the tupperwear but carrying a water bottle, or the suggested turkey roasting bag, would solve that problem

#220888 - 04/05/11 01:11 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

That thread with the baking pans was mine lol

Ive always used tupperware for my kits as they have always been the easyest to find in the most abundant of shapes and sizes. The Current tupperware im using was a easy find at a store i frequent...now how many metal containers the aprox same size with a sealable lid that do not have paint or liners have i found...Zero. I know Theres a bunch online and i was actually looking at bento box's but the price the quality and the availability on trustworthy websites is lacking. Not to mention that the price is almost always right on tupperware as the current one I shown was 3 for 1$ at a local store. The only issues with tupperware is Depending on the plastic type they will shatter with impact and they cannot be used to boil water. This can easily be offset by adding aluminum foil or carrying a hip flask. Often times or not I try my best to think out of the conventional box and look at everything at a this isnt what it was made for but it sure as heck can do it standpoint. One of the items was a hip flask which can easily boil water and store it, not very much but at its size and shape it can disappear easily in a pouch, pack or pocket.

One Metal container Im looking at is this lunch box/tray/bento.

http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stainless-Steel-Lunch-Container/dp/B002G9UHY2/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Tho Some of the Negative reviews, which seem to outshine the positives, sound alittle alarming.

Edited by Frisket (04/05/11 02:36 PM)

#220890 - 04/05/11 02:16 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree with you about the virtues and drawbacks of Tupperware, although, theoretically, you could do stone boiling in a plastic container. I have never tried this technique, but it is mentioned in all the survival manuals, so it must be good, right? (In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice,they are different - according to yogi Berra).

I solve the metal container problem by slipping a cup onto my canteen, where it takes up minimal space, ready to make me a nice cup of tea.

#220892 - 04/05/11 02:34 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I would figure the rock would melt threw the plastic? While boiling In plastic bottles over a fire is possible it is only possible because the water is in direct contact with the plastic. When putting a rock into a plastic container your applying direct heat to the plastic with no buffer or displacement.

#220899 - 04/05/11 03:59 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As I understand the technique, you do indeed have water in the plastic container, or basket, or whatever normally flammable container you are using. That is your buffer. Again, I have no practical experience with the technique. For me, it is far simpler to carry along a metal container, even something as simple as a can of fruit juice. The top of the line is a titanium 700 ml cup, light, strong, and expensive.

#220907 - 04/05/11 05:20 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Frisket
I would figure the rock would melt threw the plastic? While boiling In plastic bottles over a fire is possible it is only possible because the water is in direct contact with the plastic. When putting a rock into a plastic container your applying direct heat to the plastic with no buffer or displacement.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. You could of course put a bed of cool rocks in the bottom or hold the hot rock with a pair of pliers. (Knife + green branch + a little ingenuity = pliers).

No, I'm not tempted to test out water boiling in tupperware containers. I've updated my too-large-for-a-pocket PSK with this aluminium container: http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/adventurer-survival-kit-box.html. I got mine from a local store, but I am 95% sure it is the same container.

SHELTER:
And yes, this box also holds the venerable AMK bivy bag - just take it out of the pouch; the AMK bag is folded into a rectangle about 2-by-6" which then is rolled and put into this box. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find room for it in your bag.

Come to think of it, I probably should snap some pics of my updated PSK's wink

ALU BAG BOILING: The idea of using alu-foil to boil in is not a reliable option, IMHO. I know Doug Ritter has some foil that could serve as a makeshift container for this purpose. I am not sayin it wouldn't work - I say that I personally remain sceptical and prefer to plan with more robust options.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/05/11 05:22 PM)

#220940 - 04/05/11 11:03 PM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That thread with the baking pans was mine lol

LOL!! Sorry about that frisket. And kudos for the dollar store thread!

#220954 - 04/06/11 12:59 AM Re: Survival Kit Update [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country

One Metal container Im looking at is this lunch box/tray/bento.

http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stainless-Steel-Lunch-Container/dp/B002G9UHY2/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Tho Some of the Negative reviews, which seem to outshine the positives, sound alittle alarming.

Nice! They do look good. I've been using a waterprood Sterilite inside a fanny pack for my PSK, but I like the idea of a steel one if the quality is good.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.