The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#221126 - 04/08/11 12:40 PM Office Kit
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's been a few years since I've had an office job and yesterday, day one in my new PT gig, I had a little trouble with hubby's truck and the building beside ours was evacuated for some reason just as I was heading home. Welcome back to the corporate environment!

So... I'm working on a new bug-in bag/GHB to keep at the office and I'd appreciate the wisdom of your input.

I'll be working in a little office (about 5 people) that’s about 40kms/25mi from home. There's a major highway to the North, a major rail line (freight and commuter) to the South and a nuclear plant to the South East. It's mostly urban/suburban area between home and the office, with a big chunk of rural in between. I'll mostly be driving my own car but there is a possibility of carpooling or taking a train also. The office is in an industrial area, in a single floor building and my desk is right beside the front door.

MAIN THREATS: industrial accident, train derailment, chemical spill, gas leak, major MVA on main roads, vehicle failure, power failure, nuclear accident (we're in the heart of the danger zone) and weather (It's a tricky time of year around here right now. Spring can bring snow storms, heavy rain and thunderstorms, summer days and anything in between.)

I'm thinking about being stuck in the office overnight (or longer) or having to hoof it home. I don't have room for a big pack under my desk so I'm thinking average daypack size.

FAK: AMK kit, soap, bandana, personal meds, safety pins, nail clippers
(Added: baby wipes, small bottle of purelle, pocket pack of kleenex, cpr mask and 2 pairs nitrile gloves, 2 dust masks, sewing kit)

CLOTHES: wool socks hat and gloves, thermal shirt, emerg rain poncho and blaze orange baseball hat (It's a casual office so I plan to be wearing good footwear and durable clothes at all times)
(Added: light rain pants, leather work gloves, subbed in a primaloft jacket instead of fleece)

SHELTER: AMK bivy, sleeping bag liner, paracord, heatsheet (Note: I shoved my thinnest sleeping bag in and it really made things tight. It still gets cold at night here though so I may throw in a light wool/fleece blanket.)

WATER: large full kleen canteen, micropur tabs, military mess cup, juice crystals
(Added: instant hot chocolate tea and cappacino, wrapped the water bottle in duct tape)

FOOD: 4 cliff bars, 1 pack jerky
(Added: 2 powerbar harvest bars, MRE meal and heater)

FIRE: bic, match safe (with tinder-quicks, b-day candle and strike anywhere matches), couple of tealights, sierra saw
(Added: 2 larger candles, esbit stove and tabs)

RESCUE: AMK signal mirror, lanyard with whistle/led light, roll of quarters
(Added: blaze orange whistle to an external zip)

MISC: SAK, multi-tool, bandana, LED flashlight and extra batteries, extra glasses and sunglasses
(Added: leatherman folder, LED lantern, LED headlight and extra batteries, 2 decks playing cards, pry bar, extra house key, 4 chem lights, 4 chem hand warmers, 2 lg garbage bags, 2 small garbage bags, eye glass repair kit, pocket radio and extra batteries, case of all the extra batteries)

TOILETRIES: soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodarant, washcloth, feminine stuff

TO DO: get a new small sleeping pad, take moutain bike to store at work, put some MREs and a box of bars in desk drawer, put extra water in kitchen, put box of candles in desk drawer, put large pry bar under desk drawers, get copies of local map and transit info, put enough flashlights (and extra batteries) for everyone in a filing cabinet drawer

ADDITIONAL: I've always got my EDC bag and my pockets are always loaded too:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post217532

There is a fridge and microwave in the office so I'l be stashing water and food there, as well as keeping a little toiletries kit and meds in my desk.

What am I forgetting?

Edited by bacpacjac (04/08/11 11:45 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221127 - 04/08/11 12:59 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Is there an office microwave? If so, I would have ingredients for tea and maybe some easily heated food.

#221128 - 04/08/11 01:03 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I highly suggest a box of Shabbos Candles. 72 to a pack 7$ at most grocery stores 3 hours burn time per candle. Im sure if your stuck in the office with a power out many people will be glad to have a candle on their desk. Not to mention a cheap 9LED Flashlight with spare Batteries and a LED Lamp of some form.

#221129 - 04/08/11 01:14 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks hikermor and frisket!

yes, there are candles and an LED flashlight with extra batteries in there. I threw in tea lights but I think you're right frisket, that it might be better to have something more substantial.

yes, there is a microwave. good idea, hikermor, to having the makings of a few meals and drinks on-hand. it would be a big moral boost, much like the candles.

#221131 - 04/08/11 01:21 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I was thinking if a lantern LED or another form is possible it may easily serve as a pseudo fire for the Office to huddle around which may bring morale. Just also thought of A few packs of playing cards. Maybe a shovel at the door to dig out cars and such if the office doesnt already have one.

#221132 - 04/08/11 01:22 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good kit.

I'd add some form of cellphone charger, either a LiPo battery that you can connect to your cell (mine will charge my iPhone from zero to hero twice), or a AA-powered charger.

I'd also add one more flashlight and a dedicated folding knife. It might make sense for you to have rain gear that doesn't stand out, as well.

If you wear glasses or contacts, bring appropriate spares.

Do you have room for an Esbit stove? They're far from perfect but they're hard to beat for light, compact, inexpensive and shelf-stable. A package or two of hot chocolate powder to go with it could make a big difference.

#221133 - 04/08/11 01:30 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just added an LED headlight, a small LED lantern and extra batteries, instant hot chocolate and cappacino, and some baby wipes.

Playing cards and an esbit stove are going in now.

GREAT TIPS! THANKS!!

#221136 - 04/08/11 01:35 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Looks like a good kit to me.

You might consider a CPR barrier (Laerdahl) in the event a co-worker vapor locks and you end up doing CPR (unless you're trained to do compression-only CPR, and that's fine).

I like a trusty crow-bar in my office kit: getting out of my office door is task #1, and in the last EQ a number of office doors jammed from the shaking. You can leave that at work if you don't want to truck it all the way home with you.

Money in addition to the roll of quarters. Maybe enough to get a room at a nearby hotel/motel. If you don't have a secure place to keep this in your workplace, then keep it in your car or try to keep enough cash on your person.

#221140 - 04/08/11 01:50 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps forget about the additional fleece jacket and vacuum pack a down or primaloft jacket (A compression sack will help also if you are unable to vacuum pack). These will compress down much more readily in terms of space for a small daypack rather than the bulky fleece jacket.

An insulation mat such as the Thermarest Neo-air would be useful for sleeping on at the office or outside. There are quite expensive but are very comfortable and provide good insulation from the cold ground. They pack down to an amazingly small size.

A good down sleeping bag will be half the weight and size of an equivalent synthetic bag.

It is very tricky to get what is required for a Get home or Bug out bag to fit into a day pack.

I can only just about get a Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, waterproof shell clothing, 3 days food and gas stove and pot, water bottle and first aid kit etc into a Macpack Rapaki 28+

Most of the kit in my multiday daypack is based on equipment lists for mountain marathons and from tips and hints from the ultra lighters.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_2009_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_1037.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWbYnTRBfww

Just to add, you seem to have everything covered but might be a little lightweight on thermal insulation and food. i.e. A few extra high calorie food tins can be stored at your work place.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/08/11 01:51 PM)

#221142 - 04/08/11 01:57 PM Re: Office Kit [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frisket
I was thinking if a lantern LED or another form is possible it may easily serve as a pseudo fire for the Office to huddle around which may bring morale. Just also thought of A few packs of playing cards. Maybe a shovel at the door to dig out cars and such if the office doesnt already have one.

Great idea frisket! i added a gerber LED lantern that has white lights in on end and yellow in the other.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.