Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#221111 - 04/07/11 10:25 PM Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here is your welcome thread. Lots of links, help and definitions for those new to ETS. Welcome

#221154 - 04/08/11 02:51 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

First step - Welcome..Its a fun, friendly place. Second, relax...there is a lot of information.

Start by reading a bit and decide what actions are helpful to you (your area, experience, budget, etc.)

Questions? Do a search and ask questions - Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

Teacher

#221218 - 04/09/11 01:23 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Welcome to the NewGuys! I agree with what TeacherRO said. When I joined The Forum I was welcomed like a long lost friend. Have a great time researching and learning. Jump in and have fun!!!

Oh, check out the ETS Acronyms Post in this section (Around the Campfire). It will help a lot.

Edited by MoBOB (04/09/11 01:28 AM)

#221224 - 04/09/11 04:07 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: MoBOB]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
For all those new here. Welcome to the campfire and stay a while, lots of info here.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#222125 - 04/22/11 03:32 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A good place to start: Add a small flashlight to your keychain.

#222132 - 04/22/11 04:10 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

In my book, the three tools that are hardest to improvise are a flashlight, a knife, and a way to start a fire.

#222135 - 04/22/11 04:36 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

In my book, the three tools that are hardest to improvise are a flashlight, a knife, and a way to start a fire.

I totally agree. That's the first lesson I learned when I got here and now I never go anywhere without the holy LKF trio: light, knife and fire.

Welcome!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222152 - 04/22/11 07:39 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You can improvise a knife fairly readily if you have suitable raw material (like glass) at hand and flint knapping skills (although who wants to be caught knapping during a disaster?). The verdict of history is rather clear, however. The whole North American continent switched to metal knives just as soon as possible, once they were introduced.

#222176 - 04/22/11 11:38 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
My bare bones carry is knife, fire, light and whistle.

#222515 - 04/29/11 08:42 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

3 boring things you can do: Get a fire extinguisher, (and one for the car) replace your smoke alarm batteries, put 6 liters of water in the pantry.

#222522 - 04/29/11 10:25 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A few more low key ideas:

1. Buy a couple of extra cans of stew, veggies or fruit every week when you're at the grocery store. Get something that's on sale and that you know you and your family will eat.

2. Fill up all the water bottles in house. It's eaay to store them already full.

3. Put an extra set of clothes into a backpack, duffle bag or suitcase - 1 complete set for everyone in the house. Throw in a jacket and pair of shoe
too if you have extras on-hand.

4. If you have a freezer and there's room, make ice.

#222525 - 04/29/11 10:42 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The first step I took was to think about "What if?" Recall what have you already experienced. Start small.

Think about the power going out and staying out for a while. What does no power mean for you at home, at work, on your commute? Consider the seasons, the buildings, the vehicles, who you are going to be with and what you are going to want to do.

#222648 - 05/02/11 12:04 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

Welcome to the new folks. I agree strongly with Read and Search. I spent at least six weeks before I even created a username taking the time to literally review every post. I reviewed them for the knowledge they contained and the tenor and tone of the conversations, which I was quite impressed with.

I was most impressed with the high degree of the presentation of facts and how many members minimize pure opinion. That was the key to what made me want to stick around.

There are some good posts in the history from members like Chris Kavanaugh and Old Bald Guy -- classics -- as are many others, before and since.

I learned so much just from those older posts, I don't even think I made anything other than a "Hello" post or two for another month, but I'm a pretty quiet type of guy. When I did make my first few posts, I received helpful, courteous feedback.

So, I would suggest settling in your most comfortable chair and start benefiting from the years of knowledge and equipment reviews available.

Again, Welcome to the forum,

buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#223171 - 05/08/11 07:13 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Water is another easy way to start -- Carrying a water bottle and storing some at your domicile...even just 2l in the fridge

#223284 - 05/10/11 01:23 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

2 lines of thought will also help greatly:

Safety first. Think ahead and try to avoid the bad stuff.

Get and stay healthy. Everything's harder when you're not healthy, especially the bad stuff.

#224605 - 05/29/11 07:33 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Given the weather; a small radio and rain jacket...

#226109 - 06/17/11 02:12 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another place to start - EDC a multi-tool or add some stuff to your keychain
( " don't leave home without it.")

#226115 - 06/17/11 02:43 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Beware the thousand pound beachball sized keychain though. It can be like wrestling an alligator! wink It seems like most of us started small, got huge and then shrunk up again (in terms of gear) as we figure out what works, what doesn't, what we need and what we don't. Even then, our daily carry and emergency supplies are ever-evolving.

#226121 - 06/17/11 03:47 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Stock up on stuff that doesn't go bad.

Toilet paper and paper towels are two items. If you have TP and the other guy doesn't, trade item. What is TP worth to you?

Also, soap, candles, matches, peanut butter and honey. Just a place to start.

Then - learn basic skills. See if a local Community College has classes.

#226194 - 06/20/11 12:25 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good point - more than 3-4 items is enough -- after that, add another keychain. a good start

#226199 - 06/20/11 01:43 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Don't forget that kit begins with what's already on hand (or in general possession). For example the old pocket knife corroding away in a drawer or closet could easily be your EDC, at least at first.

Most of us who are building preparedness from ... well, from not much ... should probably have some matches around, if not a lighter or two.

Add those, a large bottle of water, and that throw blanket that's in the closet, and you've got yourself a very basic kit to pack in the trunk of the car around the spare tire.

Granted, this is by no means a permanent idea; it's meant to be built upon, improved, and probably completely replaced in time.

#229981 - 08/17/11 08:04 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like that... add an unused bookpack to carry it all...

#230000 - 08/18/11 12:59 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
When I started I spent way to much on shipping buying individual items and buying gear that was not worth buying.

These days I'd advise buying two of Doug's PSP kits - one goes into your pocket and slowly gets "enhanced" by adding cool extras (light, water, ....), and the other gets ripped open so you can play (practice) using all of it under different conditionss (wind, rain, cold, ...)

#230008 - 08/18/11 03:12 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Hi there beginners

Time to time, life throws something at us for the fun of it. We call them "hard times" or "emergencies" for short. These have the purpose of reminding us to be prepared.

Everytime I had a domino of emergencies thrown at me , I would try to deal with it as best as I can, and then I would WRITE DOWN what happened and what I did. A few weeks/months down the road,I would read and think what I could have done different, or what gear I should have had on me that would have made it easier.

This strategy keeps sharpening my skills ... not to forget sticking around, and harrasing the great folks here by endless questions. The questions must have been asked before, but they answer them anyway.

#231150 - 08/31/11 03:33 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Today's idea: add a garbage bag to your car and briefcase...

#231165 - 08/31/11 07:56 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One more easy one: filll up your vehicle before it gets to half full. You'll fill up twice as often but it will only cost half as much so it balances out cost-wise, and you'll be better prepared to sit in traffic, bug-out, or whatever. AND, it's also less likely that your teenager will leave you on E when they borrow the car. wink

#231171 - 08/31/11 08:57 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Don't even have to allocate extra, just buy extra when things are on sale and stock it up.

#231178 - 08/31/11 09:39 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Take a first aid and CPR course. Knowledge is quite light and takes up little space.

#231181 - 08/31/11 09:46 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

A: Get a good knife
B: Get a good knife
C: Get a good knife

So on so forth. A Good Folder and a good Fixed Blade.

Get Good Tools, Cheap All in one tool kits with that 1 ounce toothpick handled Hammer will not cut it When push comes to shove. At The Minimal A Good 16ounce Hammer, A Pair Of Channel Lock Pliers, Two Identical Crescent Wrenches, A Good Screwdriver set (I LOVE Craftsman Screwdrivers) And a Decent Ratchet set. Keep In Stock a Box Of Framing nails and 3 Inch Deck Screws. A Battery powered Drill Can save a Lot of time and effort and can increase the strength of things like boarded up windows with screws instead of nails.

#231186 - 08/31/11 09:54 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I agree - get good tools. They will be in daily use, not just for emergencies alone. I would add a shovel, swede saw, axe, and a serious pry bar or two, also a widget to turn off your gas.

Note: I live in earthquake country, so I more concerned about getting out of the wreckage than buttoning up for a storm. YMMV.

You will never outgrow your need for just one more tool....

#231188 - 08/31/11 10:28 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Knowledge is portable, cheap to come by (internet and library) and can't be taken away from you. Read and practice, practice, practice.

Ask questions. Yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question, but the vast majority are not dumb.

Practice your skills. Experts practice a lot, how they got to be experts.

Buy good gear, when you can afford it. Style be darned, a 5 y/o jacket may be out of style, but if it keeps you warm and dry, who cares?

Did I say practice your skills?

#231375 - 09/04/11 03:41 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A weekend update - Water bottle. Add a small bottle to your kits and you'll be happier, cleaner and more hydrated. Cheap and you'll save money not buying bottled.

#232557 - 09/22/11 03:00 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tiny flashlight.

#233342 - 10/07/11 03:41 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Band-aids, roll of tape, safety pins

#233396 - 10/08/11 04:41 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: KenK]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: KenK

...These days I'd advise buying two of Doug's PSP kits...

after 45 years of EDC'ing, i would agree with KenK that Doug's kit are the fastest & easiest & safest way to get started.

unless you already have definite ideas about what knife and 'light and water purifier to carry, his "Plus" kit is my first choice. if you already are covered in those areas, his standard kit is fine too.

Adventure Medical's Pocket Survival Pak Plus

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=233#

#233413 - 10/09/11 01:45 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Start with that and add what you think you need. The size is right for EDC.

#236520 - 11/29/11 11:11 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In the fall/winter: Go outside your home and into a cold, hard driving rain or snow, maybe into your unrunning car if you have one, the done the same in your home with the heat off, and think about what you wish you had with you to make things more comfortable.

#238068 - 12/27/11 07:51 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...Get a jacket; put stuff in the pockets.
( what to put in? get a survival book or read here...)

#238088 - 12/28/11 02:25 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Don't just read and watch. Do and do again. Make these life saving skills habits that you can do reliably in all conditions.

#239130 - 01/11/12 11:06 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...and to see how long a thing takes...and if your gear will hold up and...

#241174 - 02/15/12 01:02 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...Besides its fun.

#244008 - 03/29/12 05:03 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Today's tip - umbrella.

#244980 - 04/18/12 03:20 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And a pack towel or shamWow from the dollar store

#245874 - 05/14/12 06:19 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

sunglasses/ sunscreen/ hat

#245896 - 05/15/12 01:36 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I picked up a painter's drop sheet (clear plastic), a Mylar blanket, a blue 5X8 tarp and 100 ft of jute twine at the dollar store tonight for $5. Not bad additions to any kit. This small, light package gives us shelter and tinder. It's not great but a good economical start.

#246352 - 05/27/12 07:15 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

dry socks.

#246868 - 06/11/12 12:38 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

chapstick

#246877 - 06/11/12 03:32 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
Duct tape or Gaff tape (if it's available and cheap. Usually, it's neither). 50' wrapped around a golf pencil is always handy.

-Jason

#247977 - 07/04/12 06:37 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

small vials of sunscreen, dug dope, soap, hand sanitizer.

#247997 - 07/05/12 02:50 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Check ALL your gear ... often ... at least more often than I do anyway.

#248760 - 07/18/12 11:58 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

and checklists..with expiration dates. Waterproof stuff if you get bored

#249187 - 07/29/12 08:51 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

New addition: 3 safety pins. Might add a stain stick / wipe for clothes, too

#250746 - 09/07/12 08:41 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Prob the best place to start - kit based systems
Lifehacker - 9 kits you should have

#252615 - 11/01/12 04:30 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another great purchase is a sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Warm and portable sleeping.

#253679 - 11/22/12 05:47 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And a set of earplugs...

#253687 - 11/22/12 06:01 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#258550 - 04/04/13 06:40 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#258599 - 04/05/13 03:41 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

You can always use the Boy Scout's 10 Essentials:

They’re called “essentials” for a reason. Every packing list starts with these items.

Pocketknife
First-aid kit
Extra clothing
Rain gear
Water bottle
Flashlight
Trail food
Matches and fire starter
Sun protection
Map and compass

Keeping Clean (I put an asterisk by the ones I would move to the essentials list)

*Toothbrush
*Toothpaste
Dental floss
Soap
*Comb
*Waterless hand cleaner
*Small towel
Washcloth
*Toilet paper
*Trowel for digging cathole latrines

Extras (I put an asterisk by the ones I would move to the essentials list)

Watch
Camera
*Notebook
*Pen or pencil
*Sunglasses
Small musical instrument
Swimsuit
*Gloves
*Whistle
*Nylon cord
*Insect repellent
Repair kit
Hiking stick or trekking poles
Binoculars
Fishing gear
Animal identification books, plant keys, geological studies, star charts or other guides

Cooking and eating (I put an asterisk by the ones I would move to the essentials list)

Large plastic cereal bowl or kitchen storage bowl
*Spoon
Cup or insulated mug
*Water treatment system
Backpacking stove with fuel
Large pot and lid (2.5- or 3-quart size)
*Small pot and lid (1.5- or 2-quart size)
Lightweight frying pan (10 to 12 inches in diameter)
For melting snow, add 1 large pot and lid (6 to 10 quarts)
Hot-pot tongs

I would also personally add a poncho that can serve as a shelter.

#258606 - 04/05/13 05:29 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you are looking into food storage, this is the best overview I've seen... Mrs. Wendy DeWitt (LDS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc

and a follow up PDF file

http://allaboutfoodstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/EVERYTHING-UNDER-THE-SUN-2010-word.pdf

#280921 - 06/01/16 08:43 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...get a few books and take some classes.

#280932 - 06/02/16 09:17 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Leave the forum.
Go to this sites home page and click on the survival pack adverts on the left. Then read (and print off and carry) the survival pack instructions.
Then buy 2 of the packs and 2 of the Doug ritter photon lights you'll also see advertised there. Put the packs and a light in your pockets and one light round your neck (he also has his own knives).

Read the rest of Dougs advice accessible from the home page.
AFTER all that; come back to the forum to chat with us amateurs.

qjs

#281016 - 06/08/16 08:42 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Let me update that after another thread (woman saved by whistle), put the light AND the whistle round your neck.
I forgot cos my whistle is on my watch strap, there's another on my keyring with more lights.
Lights and whistles weigh and cost nothing, so scatter them round your person. If you can go with the high quality ones do so, but a christmas cracker one is better than nothing.

qjs

#281027 - 06/08/16 08:06 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

yes - the tiny button lights weigh nothing are nearly free ( I buy them in a 10 pack) and are easy to put on a key ring, zipper fob or bag...and some light is much better than no light

#281242 - 07/06/16 07:30 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ditto trash bags at the bottom of your pack or briefcase, a water bottle.

#281246 - 07/06/16 09:54 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Adding a lightweight, loose-fitting long sleeved top to your pack can really pay off too. I used mine a few weeks ago as an extra layer of clothing to fight the chill in cold airplanes, and I used it again today as a towel to wipe sweat out of my eye after putting it on to protect me from the bugs and sun after getting a little too pink on my shoulders on a long bike ride. I have used it as a sling in the past, and it can stand in for a bandana in many other situations too, especially id yours is made of cotton. (Mine isn't, but is a button-up with a couple of pockets.)

#281413 - 07/20/16 08:23 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Adding some edc cash...nice to have $40 handy for this and that

#281414 - 07/20/16 08:30 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Depending on where you are you may want to carry more than $40. Last week was about the fifth time my car was parked in a large city's downtown garage where their credit card processing systems were down. Because I had cash on me I was able to pay and be on my way. I saw many angry parkers sent off to ATMs.

My baseline cash for a trip is based on (one expensive large city downtown parking lot) + (gas to get home) + (a sandwich or two). I usually bring a lot of cash home for next time.

#281476 - 07/26/16 12:52 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good idea...when I travel I want the cost of a hotel room, tank of gas and a meal in cash...at a minimum. Its just so darn useful.

#282907 - 12/05/16 07:44 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

some days its the simple things -- Like having a spare car key handy

#284762 - 06/13/17 06:01 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...In some places, having a band-aid in your wallet marks you as a prepper.

#284763 - 06/13/17 07:23 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
And I would suggest carrying a SAK every day, without fail. Don't care which one with what functions/tools. Just having one puts you ahead of the pack.

#285118 - 07/24/17 09:08 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...Or any of the small multi-tools.

#285124 - 07/24/17 10:48 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Some small MTs are much better than others...Some are so ineffectual they don't even rate as toys.

#287263 - 12/05/17 07:39 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Start with a jacket and water bottle in your commuting bag.

#287914 - 01/17/18 08:14 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

think fabrics; add a fleece hat, handkerchief or coat to your kit

#288328 - 03/06/18 10:42 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And I'll say it again: cash. Get in the habit of carrying a couple of spare $20's.

#288343 - 03/08/18 03:46 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

The three most important problem solvers, in order, are almost always:
  • Working cellphone
  • Cash
  • ID

#288344 - 03/08/18 03:48 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Chaos, I would actually add "Plan" to your list. It helps to avoid the problems, and a good one can help to solve them as well. While it is not an "item", it does (or should) utilize your most useful and important survival tool, your brain.

#288345 - 03/08/18 04:26 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Montanero, "Plan" is a four letter word, and if you make and follow one, you take all the excitement and challenge out of an emergency situation wink

Seriously, have one,but be willing to modify it to fit circumstances. Flexibility is key. Didn't some military guy say "No plan survives first contact with the enemy."?

#288347 - 03/08/18 04:55 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A good plan includes flexibility, is not rigid. A good plan gives you a point to work from to adapt to whatever arises. I guarantee that any experienced person venturing out has one in their head.

The other part of it is to inform someone of your plan before you go.

#288348 - 03/08/18 07:08 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Chaos, I would actually add "Plan" to your list. It helps to avoid the problems, and a good one can help to solve them as well. While it is not an "item", it does (or should) utilize your most useful and important survival tool, your brain.

Well said.

First, in my mind, is the mission. The mission for most or all of us should be, "make it home with the same number of family members, and holes in your body that you started the day with."

The mission informs the plan, and the plan informs the equipment.

#289199 - 06/05/18 12:29 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A good place to start is evaluating what you are already carrying; how it can be used or improved.

Ex. cellphone. Better with a spare battery and certain apps

#289691 - 06/29/18 09:02 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another idea is to think what might have been useful in a particular scenario...and if you need one.

A good example is an umbrella.

#290225 - 08/15/18 10:52 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Take a look at commercial kits (bug out, first aid, etc.) and see what you can learn from them.

#291305 - 12/05/18 06:36 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A good place to start is a class or a book.

#291697 - 01/25/19 11:22 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A good place to start is a class or a book.

And keep in mind each web site and youtube channel has its own prejudices & assumptions...compare and contrast.

#291732 - 01/30/19 12:56 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
stevesmartlo Offline
Stranger

Loc: CALIFORNIA
Hello everyone this is Steve i love camping and other outdoor related activities and do write reviews of tents.
https://tentsreview.com

Edited by stevesmartlo (01/30/19 12:57 PM)

#291733 - 01/30/19 01:17 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: stevesmartlo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: stevesmartlo
Hello everyone this is Steve i love camping and other outdoor related activities and do write reviews of tents.
https://tentsreview.com

Welcome Steve!

#296490 - 06/26/20 09:30 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are many good books & sites. Sign up and start.
(And try not to go overboard!)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.