Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220941 - 04/05/11 11:08 PM Is the LDS list to radical to digest?
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
It seems most broadband survival lists are stoned for one reason or another. If they are simple enough to be absorbed, they are usually not of any real value. If they are intended to be more complete, they are disected and eaten for political reasons. Lets see if we can find five (5) serious lists and vote on our favorite.

I will offer up one to start -

1. http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#220942 - 04/05/11 11:11 PM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like the LDS list and I'd nominate Doug's list for the top 5!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220949 - 04/06/11 12:29 AM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
As they have stated,It was meant to be absorbed by their own but,is Applicable to anyone should they desire it!IMHO,It is a well defined list,Anyone heeding their advice would go well in a Survival Scenario!I like Doug Ritter's list,I like Sheriff Blast's list,I like John McCann's list,I like Alan Fry's list,I like Alot of list's,Good idea's are bred from Everyone's take of it,& I build mine accordingly,I beleive that is the intent!

#220957 - 04/06/11 01:11 AM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I find that the LDS list carries too much religious baggage. IMO a preparedness list should be secular and not force people to read scripture and religious text in order to make a supply list. Just my opinion.

#220960 - 04/06/11 02:37 AM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Lists are static, while circumstances vary, technology changes, and people grow, adapt, and learn new skills and strategies. Don't take any lists too seriously, but look at them for hints and new approaches to improve your current preps.

When I started my career, my first supervisor was a Mormon. We lived fairly far out in the boondocks (Wupatki National Monument). Isolation due to storms, etc. was not at all unusual. It was fairly obvious that stocking up was a good thing to do,as was acquisition of a fair number of emergency skills. It was quite a few years before I lived in any kind of town where one could make casual trips to the supermarket.

I agree with you about the religious stuff. On the other hand, their practical advice is rock solid. Trust me,in a real tight situation, you can do far worse than having Mormons for neighbors.

My first "list" was the classic mountaineering "Ten Essentials" (actually more like 14 or so items). It is still fairly valid. I like the guidelines here at ETS, of course, or I would hangout somewhere else. I particularly appreciate the rational, generally even handed presentation.

#220966 - 04/06/11 04:13 AM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I like it. I 100% Ignore the religious junk to it but it is another resource from someone different and I Consider the more Books and lists and PDFs you have to take what you wish from the more rounded out you will be. Just learning from one source will limit you no matter how good that source is.

Also One fact I like about the LDS PDF Is they update it often which you cant say about many books on the shelves.

Edited by Frisket (04/06/11 04:15 AM)

#220971 - 04/06/11 10:26 AM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Why would you need a light spinning reel and fly reel in a 96 hour preparedness kit? Wouldn't one think that for 96 hours you could suffer the shame of spin casting (Sarcasm)? Dare I say you might even be able to fish without a rod! Also, the list includes "spare bulbs" for flashlights. There were several years when I could tolerate such out of date information, however, they've passed. If one doesn't recommend an LED flashlight to 99% of emergency users I think a disservice is being done. Once you've LED a spare bulb's weight is better spent on batteries.

I'm sure there's more wrong w/the list, but that was some low hanging fruit.

#220986 - 04/06/11 12:41 PM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: ponder
It seems most broadband survival lists are stoned for one reason or another. If they are simple enough to be absorbed, they are usually not of any real value. If they are intended to be more complete, they are disected and eaten for political reasons. Lets see if we can find five (5) serious lists and vote on our favorite.

I will offer up one to start -

I'm not a member of LDS, but I find this advice to be rock solid, and my wife and I are doing much if it already, but not up to one year yet.

No one list could possibly be perfect for everyone's individual skill level, location, and circumstances, but this one comes pretty close.

I also believe that older pickaxes, bowsaws, shovels, hoes, and rakes will be currency if the SHTF. The older forged tools are increasingly rare, and how many urban/suburban homes even have a spot-welded sheet metal China imitation of a gardening tool on hand?

I also respect the religious views of others, especially the group that has worked hard to compile this useful advice and information and disseminate it for free without regard to religious preferences.

Thank you for posting it......

#221004 - 04/06/11 02:12 PM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Before someone attributes some dislike of LDS -- my mother was Mormon, I do not dislike the religion at all. I just have a problem with a survival preparedness manual dressed up in any religious text and put forward as a survival document for all.

Remove the religious aspects of the LDS Preparedness Manual and you would have one of the best and most comprehensiveness lists available. Maybe my issue is in the “Member Edition”. Is there a non-member edition?

#221030 - 04/06/11 10:31 PM Re: Is the LDS list to radical to digest? [Re: ponder]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
RE HIJACK

POST A URL OF YOUR FAVORITE!
If you don't have one, wait until we have five good ones.

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.