The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#220777 - 04/02/11 08:19 PM Re: Whistles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There's another thread in the ETS archives that contains this gem. I can't remember who it came from but I've got it bookmarked.

http://acmewhistles.ca/products

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253815 - 11/25/12 08:28 PM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: rafowell]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Old thread wake up...

Originally Posted By: rafowell
2008 Whistle Test Part 2 - 12 more items Although the followon test did include the Storm, the flat TOPS KNIVES whistle did best for loudness, at 123.6/117 dB for adult/child. The TOPS whistle also got a "very easy to blow" rating. Between the sound level, ease of blowing, and compactness, that one might be worth another look.

I'm not buying the TOPS whistle solely because of the neon yellow ad on top of the whistle. I'm not sure what TOPS is thinking. I sent them an inquiry to see if they sell the whistle without the ad.

#253817 - 11/25/12 10:11 PM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
i agree ireckon!

the TOPS whistle is the same one that Victorinox once sold in their SwissChamp kits (and as a replacement part) WITHOUT any printing on it.

called the Victorinox Swiss Army Distress Whistle, Accessory Part #30481

a google search shows them still available on-line for as little as 59 cents each, all the way up to a ridicules $2.95 plus $7 shipping.

(fyi - they retailed for $2 when SAK still offered them in their catalog)

#253820 - 11/25/12 10:45 PM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Unless I'm missing something, I'm not convinced the TOPS whistle is unique.

I have quite a few (apparently identical) flat three-chambered whistles and they've come from a variety of sources, including some with boating safety or advertising messages. They're generally referred to as marine safety whistles. Boating stores/departments sometimes carry them. Ebay sellers have them too.

The flat whistles I have aren't necessarily the loudest (my big Storms easily blow them away, as do the new Fox whistles).

But they're handy in jacket and pants pockets. And most importantly, my dogs respond to them better than anything else I've tried.

#253824 - 11/25/12 11:06 PM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, I didn't know it can be found on the generic market.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The flat whistles I have aren't necessarily the loudest (my big Storms easily blow them away, as do the new Fox whistles).

But they're handy in jacket and pants pockets. And most importantly, my dogs respond to them better than anything else I've tried.

Yeah, when I'm going pocket-carry only, I find myself leaving behind one of my fantastic whistles. I want to see if this flat whistle doesn't annoy me too much. The best whistle is the one I have with me.

#253825 - 11/25/12 11:26 PM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: ireckon]
yee Offline

I pocket carry a SOL Slim Rescue Howler. It isn't the loudest but is compact. Being compact makes it easier to carry (and more likely to be on me when/if needed.

I used to carry a SOL Rescue Howler with a metal slip ring. I found that the slip ring rips off the whistle since there is a weak joint right where the slip ring stresses the plastic. After two failures, I gave up on them.

Thanks.

Conway Yee

#253827 - 11/26/12 12:14 AM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just bought 2 of the Victorinox (or TOPS) whistles from eBay for $4.20 shipped. I'll see how that goes for a slim whistle.

Originally Posted By: yee
I used to carry a SOL Rescue Howler with a metal slip ring. I found that the slip ring rips off the whistle since there is a weak joint right where the slip ring stresses the plastic. After two failures, I gave up on them.

Wherever there's plastic, you might try replacing the keyring with a dress shoelace or similar. Actually, instead of key rings, I use dress shoe laces everywhere - lighter, less bulky.

#253829 - 11/26/12 12:30 AM Re: Discussion of Survival Whistle Tests [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The REI Tri-Power Safety Whistle is simple and it works. Easy to blow and plenty loud.

#254552 - 12/11/12 07:47 PM Re: Whistles [Re: ireckon]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have the FOX40 and I am noticing a lot of redundancy on this site. Is it a good idea to have redundant whistles?

If you mean redundancy as in multiple whistles, yes, that's a good idea. On my hiking backpacks I attached a whistle on each of the main zippers. Why not? It is light, inexpensive and serves a practical purpose.

If you want inexpensive redundancy, then I recommend these fake Fox 40 whistles that are just as loud as the real thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Price-10-Pieces-Pe...4448&sr=8-2

(Do an Internet to find an even lower price elsewhere.)
Gotta go with the advice here about quality.

I got 2 of the ACR and one the bottom fell off out of the package,so I glued it back.So much for the 'name' brand whistle

I ordered the fox fakes,havent arrived yet,but I think we might be paying for a name when a cheap plastic whistle really is just a cheap plastic whistle.

BTW,thanks for putting whistles on my radar,both keychains have the acr now,like the form factor,loud enough to blow out my ears.

EDIT-The 10 pack of fake fox arrived,they are LOUD!Louder than the ACR IMO (ears only,no db reading). Dont have a fox to compare it to,but seems solid enough and very loud,easy to blow.I call it a winner.But Im a whistle novice so bear that in mind,just my opinion.

Edited by spuds (12/12/12 01:30 AM)

#254566 - 12/12/12 04:51 AM Re: Whistles [Re: dougwalkabout]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Dougwalkabout, you and I may be the only folks on this forum who know that line. I use the scene as a trivia question among friends who say they're "really into" old movies. I ask them to ID the sexiest scene ever filmed in which the lovers do not touch, remain fully dressed, make no gestures suggesting sex and use no profanity, but is smokin'hot . It stumps most people. Did you know she was only 19 when that film was shot?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.