Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220291 - 03/26/11 07:01 PM Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The Optimus Nova is a crummy piece of junk -- or is it? The answer: It depends. Buy the right version, and you might get a really good deal on a high quality expedition class stove. Buy the wrong one, and you might just go hungry.

HJ

#220297 - 03/26/11 08:52 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
HJ, thanks for an interesting, informative review. Could the stove body be carried in a cookset or pot instead of that superfluous pouch? What size would work?

#220298 - 03/26/11 08:56 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yes, it certainly could be carried in a pot. It depends on the dimensions of the pot, but I would think 1.5L and larger would do.

If I get a chance, later on today I'll try some pots on for size.

HJ

#220358 - 03/28/11 03:05 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I tried out several pots this evening in terms of their ability to fit an Optimus Nova inside. Results:

Snow Peak 1.0L pot: Did not fit.
Jetboil 1.5L pot: Fits, but there is not a lot of vertical clearance.
Primus 2.1L pot: Plenty of room.

Of course a 1.5L pot of different dimensions might not work.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Yes, it certainly could be carried in a pot. It depends on the dimensions of the pot, but I would think 1.5L and larger would do.
It turns out that my instincts are pretty good. smile

HJ

#220366 - 03/28/11 07:01 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Note that their is are two versions of pre-katadyn Nova's. The first generation has a 5mm bolt, attaching the burner to the stove base. The bolt is effected by the heat and when you use to much force to turn the nut on, if might break the bolt.

The second generation uses a 6mm bolt and a brass nut, which has no issues of things breaking off.

#220388 - 03/28/11 04:05 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Tjin]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Note that their is are two versions of pre-katadyn Nova's. The first generation has a 5mm bolt, attaching the burner to the stove base. The bolt is effected by the heat and when you use to much force to turn the nut on, if might break the bolt.

The second generation uses a 6mm bolt and a brass nut, which has no issues of things breaking off.
Yes, good point. The latter version, the 6mm, definitely has the better reputation. Hopefully, there aren't too many of the 5mm versions still around, but if you buy a used Nova, that size is something to check.

HJ

#220396 - 03/28/11 05:55 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I still have the first generation one with the 5mm bolt. Still going strong. Almost burned a liter of fuel this weekend alone...

#220500 - 03/29/11 04:46 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

Jim, Thanks for the Nova information. I have a Nova and have owned it for some years now, pre Katadyn model that apparently has all the desirable features. Pure luck.

I have not really used the stove much, I usually end up with my light, easy to use Snow Peak canister stove and leave the heavy-duty stoves at home. I have a collection too, not as extensive as yours. I don't spend as much time out as I once did and just don't run my stoves often enough.

Lately I am more wrapped around my airbrushes and their workings. Similar to stoves in some regard but different in purpose.

I still enjoy all the information on the stoves, great items when treated right, they will produce nice warm food and drink!

That reminds me, I once threw an Svea 123 off a cliff because the only meal I had left required cooking and the stove would not operate. I was hungry, and annoyed! I had to recover the stove, don't like to litter, and upon closer examination at home, it was discovered that the burner tip was cracked from overtightening when cleaning. That was the old design that had to have the tip removed and reamed out regularly. I had over tightened the little brass tip! Live and learn.

Keep the stove reviews coming, very interesting. Thank you!

#220501 - 03/29/11 05:04 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: widget]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The nice thing about liquid gas stoves like the Svea 123 is that in the event that they do no work, they contain a ready supply of "Boy Scout firestarter," that judiciously applied (emphasize judicious) will get a hot meal ready right away.....

#220508 - 03/29/11 05:53 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova [Re: widget]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: widget
That reminds me, I once threw an Svea 123 off a cliff because the only meal I had left required cooking and the stove would not operate. I was hungry, and annoyed! I had to recover the stove, don't like to litter, and upon closer examination at home, it was discovered that the burner tip was cracked from overtightening when cleaning. That was the old design that had to have the tip removed and reamed out regularly. I had over tightened the little brass tip! Live and learn.
Probably a little late with this, but you shouldn't have to remove the jet (the brass tip) to clean it. The pricker wire can be inserted from above. If the jet is really dirty, then you might need to remove it for additional cleaning.

A lot of people prefer the old style 123 over the newer 123R even though the original 123 doesn't have a built in cleaning needle. The original 123 has a lot more turn in the valve and is easier to adjust. It also burns a bit better without the needle inside the jet. Some people even go so far as to remove the cleaning needle on a 123R so that it will run better.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.