Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#220569 - 03/30/11 08:30 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
juhirvon Offline

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Well, there's desperate and then there's desperate. There were reports of children disappearing during the Soviet famines of the 1930s and during catholic Siege of Sancerre (1572–1573) in France of the graves of dead being dug up so that the bone marrow from the bones could be consumed.

I remember reading an autobiography of a guy who survived the great famine in Ukraine in '33 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor). Can't remember his name (something something-stky, if that helps).

Basically, he describes families exchanging first elderly relatives and later children, as "help" at the desolate farms. No helper was every visible, the families suddenly had meat for several weeks and neither family ever asked for their elderly relatives or kids back.

Also, people escaping cities to find work or food in the countryside disappeared every so often and the whole villages held a feast the next day.

In the appendix there was some statistics. Almost three thousand people were condemned in court for cannibalism after the famine.

It was a pretty good book, although I think the protagonist was one heck of a stoic eight-year-old orphan.

-jh

#220577 - 03/30/11 03:24 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: juhirvon]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
I believe I'll take starvation over eating my or another's kin. Kind of takes the humanity out of being human.

#220590 - 03/30/11 08:38 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Short of Throwing stones from your backyard what forms of Gathering The means to support your nutrition have you stockpiled?"

Realistically?

Seeds
Spading fork
Hoe
Rake
Shovel
Fruit trees and shrubs
Urine for nitrogen
Ground bones for phosphorus
Ashes for potassium

I live in a fairly rural area where 80% of the people hunt. I would predict that all 'loose' game from house cats to deer/elk would disappear within six months. The mighty local hunters would collect the best cuts and waste the rest. Anyone with a cow or goat or chicken would do best to keep it in the house, or sleep in the barn with a gun.

Eat the relatives you don't like first.

John Steinbeck (from Travels with Charley): "If I were hungry, I would happily hunt anything that runs or crawls or flies, even relatives, and tear them down with my teeth."

Sue

#220593 - 03/30/11 09:15 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Susan
Eat the relatives you don't like first.
LOL!!

Cody Lundin has a few pages about cannibalism in his book "When All Hell Breaks Loose." Sad sad stuff and hopefully nothing any of us will ever have to face.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.