Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#220499 - 03/29/11 04:41 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

... the intent of the last paragraph ... I interpreted the wording as a post modern type of society where modern ammo was no longer available.

Nowhere did the OP say "post-modern society where ammo isn't available." It did say "when modern ammo has run out".

I'm with Sherif Blast on this one. Gathering meat without firearms is a valid topic, unless we are to decree that ETS is only for vegetarians.

Putting words in someone else's mouth is dangerous and can ruin a good discussion.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220502 - 03/29/11 05:13 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I came to the opposite conclusion in reading the OP's post. However, it really is a moot point for many of us. Living on the fringes of a really huge metro area (16 million more or less), wild edibles will be speedily exterminated in any situations where taking of wild game becomes even moderately prevalent. In far northern Canada, you are dealing with a vastly different situation.

If living off the land in any serious way ever becomes necessary, I hope I will be stranded on the northern Channel Islands. One would have a much better chance there with less competition, and readily available seafood is handy in any tidepool.

Years ago an archaeologist and his crew were forgotten by the US Navy on San Miguel Island and spent four days on the island after their regular food was exhausted. It took some work, but they were dining on abalone when some sailor back on the mainland finally woke up and smelled the coffee....

#220503 - 03/29/11 05:28 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'll offer some thoughts as a city dweller. I'm not sure exactly how I ever came to be a resident of a really large city (Los Angeles), since I prefer the countryside and the mountains. It must have something to do with all the women in my family - who like to be closer to malls. Anyway, these days I focus on "urban survival". This is a non-trivial challenge if your city turns into a disaster zone.

I do AGREE with an earlier point made that the USA can no longer sustain itself by hunting and foraging. Some people definitely can - esp. those lucky enough to live in very rural areas, and places like Missouri, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Montana etc. But we've got a much larger population now than we had back in the days of WW2 and the Great Depression. Another problem is that our supply line for supermarkets is very efficient, but the stocks are not big. We have "speed but not depth". This means that in any major national emergency, supplies of food on shelves could disappear in 2-3 days.

Probably my two best "weapons" for foraging would be the slingshot and fishing line. No need to explain the value of fishing if you live neat the coast - except that a LOT of other people would be trying the same thing (so chances of success are reduced). A slingshot is an excellent tool for small game, which may include squirrels in the local park and various birds (seagulls, pigeons, ravens). I have to admit that I would really NOT like the idea of eating cooked seagull or raven, since both birds are scavengers. But if you are desperate, you do what you have to do. I doubt the rest of my family would eat them, although my wife grew up in Missouri and probably would eat squirrel. But a couple of squirrels won't go far when you are feeding a family.

If things get rough in American cities (really desperate), I would not be surprised to see people go after pets. Stray dogs and cats are a potential meat source. I don't think a lot of people would really do this ... but some might.

Perhaps more practical is the ability to eat leaves from trees and large bushes. I would avoid small edible plants because you don't know what greenery has been sprayed with bad chemicals (this is a real problem). I was planning to start a separate thread on edible tree leaves in the future on this forum.

Pretty soon, if you go down the list of options for urban survival, you realize that the choices in a big city are not good. Which leads back to the idea that storing an adequate food supply is a really GOOD idea. My wife and I just stored up 3 weeks worth of food for our family this last weekend. I will try to supplement this with some long-term grain storage.

It strikes me that a really good survival project for anyone on this forum, esp. including Boy Scout groups (!), would be to take a slingshot, kill a squirrel, skin it and gut it, and boil the meat up in a soup. I bet this activity would generate a huge volume of complaints from some parents - but it's a very practical survival exercise. If I do it with my own family, I may post the results on the forum. Mostly for amusement. I'm sure some people here have done it in the past.

cheers,
Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/29/11 05:33 PM)

#220512 - 03/29/11 06:44 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Pete]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
<snip> I'm sure some people here have done it in the past.

Like these guys? (Warning: Dead critter content)
http://talk.slingshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713
http://talk.slingshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837
http://talk.slingshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507

A lot of these guys use homemade rigs with flat bands made from Therabands instead of commercial tubular bands. Quite a bit heavier draw and projectile weights then what Walmart sells.

With my accuracy, I'd limit my shots to 10-15 yards for a "Bunny size" target.

EDIT:

A historical fact of interest is that cities really only started to grow once agricultural technologies took off. No power and gasoline means no combines, trucks, or other modern machinery. It's going to be hoe and scyth time for most of the population just to grow enough food.

Edited by Mark_R (03/29/11 06:53 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#220520 - 03/29/11 07:34 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Pete]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Pete
If things get rough in American cities (really desperate), I would not be surprised to see people go after pets. Stray dogs and cats are a potential meat source. I don't think a lot of people would really do this ... but some might.

I Agree on both points. If Things got that desperate Id think most people would believe in the little things that keep them feeling human. Not eating your own family dog may be one of those things.

#220526 - 03/29/11 07:54 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I Agree on both points. If Things got that desperate Id think most people would believe in the little things that keep them feeling human. Not eating your own family dog may be one of those things.

Well, there's desperate and then there's desperate. There were reports of children disappearing during the Soviet famines of the 1930s and during catholic Siege of Sancerre (1572–1573) in France of the graves of dead being dug up so that the bone marrow from the bones could be consumed.

#220531 - 03/29/11 08:48 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

... the intent of the last paragraph ... I interpreted the wording as a post modern type of society where modern ammo was no longer available.

Nowhere did the OP say "post-modern society where ammo isn't available." It did say "when modern ammo has run out".

I'm with Sherif Blast on this one. Gathering meat without firearms is a valid topic, unless we are to decree that ETS is only for vegetarians.

Putting words in someone else's mouth is dangerous and can ruin a good discussion.

Nowhere did I say that these were the OP's words. In fact I used the words "I interpreted". So I really think you need to re-consider your post in defaming my interpretation of the OP's thoughts.

But you know what? It really does not matter, so don't bother replying, I am done here at ETS...

John Lubbock

#220535 - 03/29/11 10:09 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

Look up Conibear traps, you can use them with or without bait and they last forever and can be employed in many diffrent ways depending on what your trying to trap. I bought some years ago and the first time I set one up I got a rabbit within a few hours. I've used the 110's around the house for pest control and managed to kill opossum and skunks and other animals that were going under my house. I've also got the usual assortment of air rifles, slingshots, spears, fishing gear, snare wire, cage traps, etc but the traps require little energy to set up and they can be more effective for animals that tend to be nocturnal.

#220538 - 03/29/11 10:42 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:

Well, there's desperate and then there's desperate. There were reports of children disappearing during the Soviet famines of the 1930s and during catholic Siege of Sancerre (1572–1573) in France of the graves of dead being dug up so that the bone marrow from the bones could be consumed.

Dear god may I never get that desperate....

#220543 - 03/29/11 11:33 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Im starting to think of getting a few fish traps made with 2 liter soda bottles now..HMMMM..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.