Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#220429 - 03/28/11 11:29 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I have both a recurve and compound bow and the means to make my own arrows and strings.

I have also recently purchased a wrist rocket-type slingshot and plan to start learning how to use that.

#220441 - 03/29/11 12:30 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I can't imagine a scenario nor is it on my radar where modern ammo would run out and seems beyond the scope of ETS forums. That said, there are plenty of other methods of catching game which may or may not be legal depending on your countries or jurisdictional law and may also violate the ETS terms of rules by discussing here.

I'm looking at this topic as "What are ways to gather meat without a firearm?", which according to my folks who lived through the Great Depression is a valid survival topic without falling into Mad Max territory. As grandpa used to say, "Trappers eat better than hunters".

That being said, here in Texas trapping turtles is allowed. A quick google search on trapping turtles brings up all sorts of easy-to-make traps.

I also keep a roll of chicken wire on hand in case I wish to build an aviary so my girls can study live birds...

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/29/11 12:31 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#220449 - 03/29/11 12:51 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Blast]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I think you might of missed the intent of the last paragraph from the OP. I (and presumably Art) interpreted the wording as a post modern type of society where modern ammo was no longer available. These types of far fetched scenarios are not why I visit ETS...

John Lubbock

#220452 - 03/29/11 01:06 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I think you might of missed the intent of the last paragraph from the OP. I (and presumably Art) interpreted the wording as a post modern type of society where modern ammo was no longer available. These types of far fetched scenarios are not why I visit ETS...

I read what the OP wrote and then subverted it into a scenario my parents and grandparents actually experienced. There's a lot of valuable stuff we can learn from the Great Depression which may help in a possible upcoming long-term disasters.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#220453 - 03/29/11 01:10 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

I expect the day I walk into your garage you'll have this Hank Hill moment and be like "These are my ladders. I have a 6 foot, 8 foot and 10 foot. I believe ladders shouldn't extend. And this is where I keep assorted lengths of wire and a variety of fencing materials."

-Izzy who has this comical view of Dr. Blast.

You have no idea how close that is to the truth. laugh laugh blush
-Blast, who needs to now go check the Google street view of his house to see if his garage door was open when they came by.

#220457 - 03/29/11 01:55 AM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
2 cast nets (one for bait, one for mullet or other schooling fish), snatch hook rig, spinning reel.....blue crab, stone crab and fish traps, .....I'm hoping everyone heads inland... I read James Clavell's King Rat... I'll try the bushy tailed ones first

#220481 - 03/29/11 01:27 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am going to recuse myself from a response. I just finished my annual reading of World War Z. (lol, I know it's silly), I'm afraid my mind is still tainted by Max Brooks.

OTOH, my son has practice at a park with wild rabbits. While there last night, I took my 2yo DD out 'hunting wabbits' and I considered snare locations and technique. My snares are generally horrible constructions, I believe I have caught more food with my hands.

#220485 - 03/29/11 02:08 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Frisket]
juhirvon Offline

Fishing, foraging and if things get really bad, small scale trapping, and if things came down to that, I'd sample the long pig (not hunt them, but if opportunity would present itself...)

1. Extensive fishing kit:
Including but not limited to:
Several rods/hand-lining bars, several km of fishing line, a few hundred hooks, spinners, various styles of those rubbery things I don't remember the English word for and so on.
Prawn nets
Crab pots and other fish traps, several collapsible (rather fragile kinds), plus a few chicken wire ones.
Small drag nets
Spear gun + snorkelling gear

2. A few decent books on edible plants (local, general European, a few with more global scope but naturally quite limited), plus tools for the task (pretty simple, knives, saw, buckets and plastic bags).

3. Lots of seeds and a (very small) hydroponic growing system + lots of pots with herbs and similar. Some of it's pretty quick growing, (sprouts in 2-3 days, some greens in 1-3 months and the rest 3-8 months).

If feacal matter would really hit the fan, I might retire to a uninhabited island and try farming a bit, or at least planting a few low maintenance plants there in the hope of returning after a while. This would be from 3 months to a year from date of plantation, so a pretty long term solution.

4. If really desperate, small scale trapping (rabbits and smaller), throwing sticks, arrows (maybe, I'm not very good at it)

All this would depend on having some sort of warning beforehand, and the right season (I live in a boat, currently moored in Finland = trapped in ice/lifted from water for about 4-5 months a year).

Edited by juhirvon (03/29/11 03:29 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#220490 - 03/29/11 03:11 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Richlacal]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
C.H.U.D. & Soylent Green,Doesn't sound so far fetched afterall,Does it?:)

Even the Soylent Green wouldn't last that long when you consider nearly 1/2 million large farm animals are now killed in the US every day to keep the meat habit going.

Annual USDA slaughter stats 2008

Cattle: 35,507,500
Pigs: 116,558,900
Chickens: 9,075,261,000
Layer hens: 69,683,000
Broiler chickens: 9,005,578,000
Turkeys: 271,245,000

Soylent green would last about 6-12 months. sick

#220491 - 03/29/11 03:26 PM Re: Gathering Food, What Methods Have You Stockpiled? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
I've always fancied the idea of driving large herds of bison off of cliffs. Quite nostalgic. (I jest)

In reality, I suspect the quick over hunting of large game would occur, especially in the more densely populated areas. Then, we're down to the small crawly things. I understand insects are quite nutritious. I better stock up on Tapatio sauce.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.