Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#220279 - 03/26/11 01:46 PM Hiking with a four-legged friend
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
My pooch has been my constant hiking companion for years. These are day hikes through the local State forests, 5 - 10 miles in length. My pack is fully stocked if I have to unexpectedly spend the night.

What do people do to "prep" for their animals? I've been looking a dog backpacks for food and snacks for her. I'll still carry the water. Does anyone carry any other items / supplies?

#220280 - 03/26/11 02:12 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I stock the same things I have on hand in our '72 hour kit' - food, water, bowls to eat/drink from, and some medical supplies (prepared for treating cuts and gashes mostly, but various websites can also tell you other handy stuff to pack or put into your emergency preps: 4x4s, tape, kerlix and poviodine). I wouldn't hike without this for my kids, neither for our dog. Don't forget a leash too.

One thing on backpacks - check with your vet and see if you dog is suited to wearing one, and an estimate of weight they might carry. There is alot of hip displaysia in dogs, and too much weight can also cause injuries (people too). We finally have a pooch without hip issues, so Sully comes along on hikes more often. I'd rather just carry the food and water myself, or sluff it off onto #1 son. Our dog loves to roam about when offleash.

#220282 - 03/26/11 02:22 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My hiking companion carries some snacks and about a quart of water, a very light bowl, and a few miscellaneous odds and ends, all in a nice roomy backpack. I keep the leash handy on my person. She lights up and starts bouncing around whenever I break out her pack, being a born explorer.

The FAK I carry will work for her, as well.

#220283 - 03/26/11 02:39 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I took my dog hiking many times throughout his life. The dog had his own pack which carried most of his food and other items listed below.

Extra water - A dog, depending on it's energy level and fur thickness can go through a lot more water then a human.

Collapsible water bowl - In many areas, there are not many natural water sources and dogs don't like the idea of you sharing the Nalgene bottle with them.

Food and snacks - A medium to large dog in top physical condition can carry around 25 % of their weight. For a 50 lb dog that can be around 10-12 lbs. My dog carried his own food, however I also carried a couple meals worth as you never know when the dog could lose it's pack (yes it happens).

Leash - Invaluable in bear country. Many times we were in very close proximity to bears and having the ability to control your dog so he does not have a confrontation with the bear can be a lifesaver for the dog and you...

Dog boots / paw protectors - These boots are a must have in rocky and hot country. As tough as dog feet may be, they are not immune to paw injury and dog boots are a must. Don't cheap out and buy the fashionable, cheap cotton type that your neighbor forces her precious lap dog wear. There are many protectors designed for working dogs are worth the investment.

Sleeping pad - Yes, a sleeping pad. Depending on the time of year and the breed of the dog, they are also susceptible to cold transfer through the ground. A small and very lightweight, folding pad such as this fits in a backpack and not only provides some comfort for the dog when needed, they are also extremely useful for humans when you need to sit for awhile. Even though we no longer have a dog, these pads are still carried in the backpacks.

Dog sweater - Again some dogs can benefit from a sweater in colder climates.

Dog waste bags - Pickup after your dog. Nothing worse to be on a hiking trail and finding dog mines every 50 feet.

Small towel - Many uses for dogs. Cleaning mud/crude from fur, wiping feet before allowing the dog in the tent etc.

First aid kit - Did not carry anything extra nor dog specific in the first aid kit, however extra rolls of gauze are useful for wrapping small cuts on the dog's legs etc.

Dog toy - Like humans, dogs like to have leisure time. I often brought along a tennis ball or the dog's favorite kong.

John Lubbock

#220285 - 03/26/11 05:59 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have never seen the need to put a pack on the dog, myself. But if you do, check and test the design of the pack VERY carefully. The middle of a dog's back is a weak spot, so the pack should ride over the shoulders and not slide back.

Mail order isn't really suitable for dog pack shopping. Go to a good pet store with the dog and actually try them on. Add some weight and see how rides and if it shifts. Check for friction spots from the straps when loaded.

Continually check the pack when in use.

Try to find one with a top-mounted quick-release in case you meet a predator, as you'll need to get that pack off instantly.

Sue

#220286 - 03/26/11 06:09 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Reiterating what has already been stated -- be aware of your dog's health limits. If they came up lame miles from the trailhead, how would you carry them out?

I've had some conversations with Gidget's vet about what should be in a First Aid kit for her and among the critical items:

Benadryl (1 mg per pound of dog -- in case they're stung or have some other allergic reaction. Benadryl does not make dogs drowsy.)

Gas-X (if you even suspect bloat, give it to them)

Buffered Aspirin

Bag Balm (paw pads)

Longer list (for home and car kits)
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_FirstAid.php

#220293 - 03/26/11 07:20 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dagny reminded me of bloat... True bloat: Death is mostly certain after 20 minutes, although the agonizing end may be drawn out. It is far easier to prevent than repair. Bloat is the third main killer of dogs after cars and cancer.

There are two types. The first is a dysfunction of the spincter between the esophagus and the stomach, and the pyloric valve from the stomach to the intestines. The stomach swells up and the blood supply is cut off. *IF* the GasX can get into the stomach, it might help, but the initial cause of the problem may prevent it.

Dogs that are fed cheap dry foods (first several ingredients are grains) are even more susceptible, as they are cheap gassy fillers (really, chicken feed) and will swell. Test your dog's food: put a normal meal amount in a bowl and add warm water, keep away from animals, and see how much it swells in an hour or so.

A Gastric Torsion is where the full stomach (food or water) flips and twists, cutting off the blood supply to the area and putting the dog into shock and incredible pain. Think of a balloon filled with water, then flipped while held at each end.

Certain types of dogs are at more risk: large breeds with deep chests are the worst, such as Golden & Labrador Retrievers, Irish Setters, almost all of the larger hound breeds, Doberman, Gt. Dane and Rottweiler, Airedale (the only terrier breed, so far), German Shepherd, Collie and Standard Poodle. Mixed breeds are also susceptible. Individual cases have occurred in small breeds.

PREVENT IT: No rough exercise (running, ball chasing, jumping, etc) for one hour before eating or drinking a lot, or two hours after. Don't feed kibbles that are mainly grains.

Sue

#220303 - 03/26/11 10:21 PM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bag balm is good for a dogs feet, works on humans as well, I've taken to using more Palmer's Cocoa butter formula because I like the smell and it seems to last longer. Booties for the dogs feet are a lifesaver.

A friend related a story about a three day trip down some beaches in Florida. His dog had never had problem with its feet before but on the second day it started coming up lame. He thinks it had to do with all the salt water softening the pads and them being chewed up by the sharp bits of shell. He got the dog through the hike by keeping it on a leash, to keep it on drier areas, and improvising booties out of a spare set of socks, adhesive tape, and some light line.

#220310 - 03/27/11 10:04 AM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'm jealous. My 3-legged friend can't go much more than a mile before she poops out. frown

#220362 - 03/28/11 03:50 AM Re: Hiking with a four-legged friend [Re: ScouterMan]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
+1 on the dog booties. After she was lame for 2 days after a long hike in the mountains I took my dog to the vet, who clued me in on that problem. Though she doesn't like wearing them, she no longer complains the days following a hike. I also put on a Nite Ize light-up dog collar with an ID tag and a bear bell, to keep track of her if she takes off after something. I try to keep her on her leash at all times because if she gets a scent of another animal she often won't obey my command to stop. I realize this is a training failure but, at her age, it is what it is.

For a day hike I put enough kibble for two meals in my day pack with a collapsible plastic bowl, just as I carry two freeze-dried meals for myself, in case we get caught out. Plus I carry about a pound of jerky for both of us, a jar of peanut butter and some crackers (it's always fun to watch her eat peanut butter) as snacks. I start my day with 5 liters of water (3 in a bladder, 2 in bottles) and a filter, and refill throughout the day. She is content to drink from whatever water source we find and has never suffered for it, but I try to keep her on the filtered stuff as much as possible. It's always caused me to wonder if dogs are immune to cysts.

When backpacking she has a Ruff Wear Dog Backpack with part of her food, a cut-down foam mat and, if it's cold, a piece of an old sleeping bag (though she doesn't like the bag on top of her, she'll use it as a nest). Both her (10) and me (older than dirt) don't go far, maybe 5 miles a day max, 3 or 4 days at a stretch, so me carrying half of her food isn't a problem.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.