The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#220188 - 03/24/11 04:52 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Susan...the car tarp is not a primary...the full mosquito netting and coated nylon poncho with a couple of 2mil trash can liners is my primary, and in the bag....if I can walk away from a rollover in a ditch, the car has done its job...my last excursion to the hospital was with a collapsed lung due to operator error on a too fast motorcycle... and then I bought a faster one

#220204 - 03/24/11 06:28 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Frisket ... thanks! Will do!!

pete #2

#220566 - 03/30/11 04:35 AM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Separating the Get Home component from the 72hr component seems prudent. You still have all the equipment but now you have a bit more choice in an emergency.

You have included gear for you, consider if you need to provide anything for someone else too ? Do you always travel alone or do you have an “other” who may need to be looked after too ?

Don’t forget sun screen and insect repellent and medications.

#220571 - 03/30/11 11:01 AM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a small mini ghb kept under the drivers seat of my truck, a first aid kit under the passenger seat and repair and recovery tools under the rear seat. I don't keep my normal go bag in it because my commute is only .5 miles (I walk when its nice enough out) but put it in for longer trips.

#220786 - 04/03/11 10:20 AM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: LesSnyder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
over the last few months, after reading this and other forums, I've changed my thinking about the "packaging" of my car supplies.....replaced the canned tuna and ramen with foil tuna pouch and instant mashed potatoes...repackaged some GatorAid mix for EGR...

Les,

I'm working on the same project. I live in a much colder climate, but it does get really hot here in summer. Last year we had several stretches over 100 degrees. I don't carry water in the winter because it freezes solid, but I do have an esbit stove, a half dozen fuel cubes, and a container to melt snow. I carry ramen, pouch tuna, clif bars, bigelow teabags, and tube peanuts in winter because the cold doesnt hurt that type of food.

I'm curious about the effects of summer heat on food, medicine, and water you have stored in your trunk in summer. What adjustments have you had to make to your provisions because of heat?

Byrd

#220787 - 04/03/11 10:40 AM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Byrd_Huntr... I've not done anything scientific.. I retired from teaching about a 1 1/2 years ago where my car sat in the sun all day... and at the time threw out the food in my bag out without eating it... the car now spends most of the time in the garage... the tinned tuna I just rotated out was consumed without a problem, along with the ramen... I was trying a DIY retort pouches with water heated by the Swiss volcano stove on Sterno...I rotate the water quite regularly as I go thru about 3 bottles a match along with a couple of Gatorades, and shoot about 3 matches a month

for the retort pouch 24inch square aluminum foil, folded over, triple folded at the seams, two paper towels folded around around and placed in a 1 gal zip loc bag...about 4 minutes..used some with the mashed potatoes... a little bulky, but easier to manage than trying to add 1/2 tuna to 1/2 potato (and vice versa) and making two pouches in the original packets

#220794 - 04/03/11 03:19 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
One thing I like to have in all my kits is some blaze orange. I tend to favour shirts bball hats and wool watch caps, etc. (My PSK includes has a blaze orange balloon.) They serve a practical purpose and make great signalling devices.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220801 - 04/03/11 05:54 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the most useful items of outdoor clothing I ever had was a reversible light down jacket, made from a Frostline kit, that was loden green on one side and international orange on the other. The loden green was a perfect match for my uniform, and the orange really made me visible when that was an advantage.

#221152 - 04/08/11 02:47 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also adding a sleeping mat ( or 2) --great for comfort and insulation.

#221187 - 04/08/11 07:00 PM Re: Adding a 'go bag' to my car [Re: LesSnyder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Byrd_Huntr... I've not done anything scientific.. I retired from teaching about a 1 1/2 years ago where my car sat in the sun all day... and at the time threw out the food in my bag out without eating it... the car now spends most of the time in the garage... the tinned tuna I just rotated out was consumed without a problem, along with the ramen... I was trying a DIY retort pouches with water heated by the Swiss volcano stove on Sterno...I rotate the water quite regularly as I go thru about 3 bottles a match along with a couple of Gatorades, and shoot about 3 matches a month

for the retort pouch 24inch square aluminum foil, folded over, triple folded at the seams, two paper towels folded around around and placed in a 1 gal zip loc bag...about 4 minutes..used some with the mashed potatoes... a little bulky, but easier to manage than trying to add 1/2 tuna to 1/2 potato (and vice versa) and making two pouches in the original packets

Thank you, I may try that on weekender. I'm leaning toward dry packed or freeze dried food for summer now, as I am (without any real justification) a little leery of eating whole food that has been heated and cooled for over a week or so in my trunk. Fine for weekend trips though.

Incidently My wife is a full time gradeschool teacher, and has a level of patience that I cannot attain, but admire greatly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.