Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#220684 - 04/01/11 05:25 AM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I'll chime in on the "get your body moving" advice. Find ways or excuses to walk. I almost always use the stairs. It is amazing what walking the stairs for a few floors every day will do for you.

If you work in a multistory building, whenever you leave the office do not come back until you go up and down at least one flight of stairs. Heck, you may start a trend and the next thing you know everyone is getting healthy. If you do not have that option, then take the long way back.

With regards to food, I have found that making meals has been a great help. It is great to learn new things about cooking. I just have a hard time not eating a half gallon of spaghetti; I love pasta! Keep your meals balanced. Also, drink water. This will also add to the trips out of the office and stairs taking. Just be careful with the amount of water. I have experienced the extreme flushing of nutrient/minerals. I was way too thirsty. I knew I had make sure I pulled back a little. When I did, things were better.

In the final analysis it is all about moderation and balance.

Edited by MoBOB (04/01/11 05:25 AM)

#220692 - 04/01/11 11:32 AM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Perhaps the single most important thing is to stop going out to lunch at work. No fast food. Become a "brown bagger." Several people I've worked with over the years have tried this advice and, when they stuck with it, their average weight loss was in the 20 pound range. You may also find you save money.

Go ahead, spoil your appetite. Don't let the memory of Mom saying those famous words stop you. If you are hungry, eat a snack. Just make it a piece of fruit (I'm partial to bananas and apples). If you allow hunger to build up, you are bound to overeat, or become frustrated with your "diet." Eat like a bird: several times a day, small health meals/snacks. Keeps the blood sugar up and something in you to keep your energy up and your tummy full.

Walk, walk, walk. Start at 1/2 hour a day, try to work up to 1 hour.

Dump the idea of "going on a diet." If you go on something, you can go off. Recognize that you are making permanent changes in yourself, which are reflected in what you do and eat.

Give it time. You didn't get this way overnight, so the weight won't go away overnight. Your body has been trained to think that the way you are now is "normal" and will fight the new you. One year is a good time frame for results. Remember what Martin was able to do (with considerable fine effort)in the "Fat tracker" thread.

#220696 - 04/01/11 12:02 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'd start with homecooking as often as you can, and if you can't, go for less processed food. The more natural the better.

I find it helps to make at least half a meal either veggies or fruit. My family loves meat and potatoes/pasta so, I usually make the other half of the meal (at most) a combo of the two. Complex carbs like sweet potatoes and whole wheat pasta are better than simple startchy ones like white potatoes and pasta. We encourage our Scouts to "eat a rainbow" every day. Them more colourful your meals the better - green veg + orange veg + red veg etc.

Slip in veggies wherever you can. I have to hide things like carrots from myself sometimes. wink Grate some sweet potatoes or carrots into your meatloaf, use tomato sauce instead of cream and snack on fruit and veggies.

Also, remember that many people confuse thirst for hunger, so be sure to drink lots of water.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220697 - 04/01/11 12:08 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Walking is a great idea Chisel. It's easy, cheap and you can do it anywhere.

Just don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time to develop good habits.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221028 - 04/06/11 09:35 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Phaedrus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Eat less, exercise more is not far off.

I would modify it to eat healthier.

I am an Atkins fan. 150+ pounds so far.

My dog walks me every day for two miles. On weekends we try to find a creek to visit as part of a hike in a local state park or forest preserve. She likes creeks.

Bob

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.