Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220104 - 03/23/11 07:57 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Part 1 - go to your doctor. Consult. get his/ her advice. make a plan.
Part 2 - regular exercise and lower calorie foods. A lifestyle change

Note - Part one is hardest.

#220110 - 03/23/11 10:03 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The Toiletpaper factor,comes into play as soon as, you start Eating The greens,Because they are going to Naturally Cleanse your G.I.Tract(Gastro-Intestinal system),You are going to Poop your Brains Out!That is The quickest/safest way to obtain Energy,Of which in Turn should Motivate you/Alert you to,Your need to do More for Yourself!It's quite possible & probable,You will Discover You had things in your system,That are Abnormal,& Unless you have an Outhouse,Your family is going to Discover this Abnormality,as well but Only for The 1 few Visits to The Throne,After that things will Level Off to a Less fragrant Experience,You will still be a Well known patron to The Throne Initially,But I will Guarantee,You will have more Energy,& You will feel like you've lost alot of weight!Instead of Junk Food,Bring some Root Vegetables-Radishes,turnips,Carrots,etc. & Make it a Point that,People/co-workers/Family See You eating these things,Their Astonishment/Expressions/Remarks will be a Delight for you,& Hopefully a very Positive Feeling towards More self-Motivation!If you have to,Force yourself to Smile when the stress comes about,& Rather than walking over to the Junk Food,Walk past it with your Bottle of water,& Just Go for a Short walk! Make This a Habit,& You Will,Blow Peoples Minds!When other"Plump" associates/friends Inquire to, your Change of habits,Ask them"Do you want to Feel Good?,Come Walk with me now!"These are Very Small Tasks,That produce Humongus rewards! Good Luck!

#220139 - 03/24/11 04:08 AM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
My experiences over the last ten years and those of my family strongly disagree re Atkins. Actually I think it's wise to just omit his name since that seems to strip people of all rationality. Most of the criticisms I've heard of Atkins come from people who've never read any of his books. There are also a lot of straw man arguments that attack things that don't appear anywhere in the literature. One thing almost no one seems to realize is that it's not just eating bacon and eggs and steaks. I would wager that outside of the first month or two as outlined in the first book, the average Atkins follower eats far more servings of veggies than your average person.

I really don't have any desire to debate it, given the fact that I've been doing so for ten years. It's worked pretty well for me, maybe it won't for you. But I will say that if you take to heart the main point he tries to make (ie stop eating empty carbs with no other food value) you'll be on your way to a lifetime of better health.

#220140 - 03/24/11 04:51 AM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: NightHiker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
The best way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you consume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKsz34PDn0

laugh

#220161 - 03/24/11 02:18 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: jzmtl]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is always the Kipper, Gruel and Clapshot diet. You're occasionally allowed some Cullen Skink and Haggis to break the monotony though.

#220193 - 03/24/11 05:19 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: jzmtl]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
The best way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you consume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKsz34PDn0

laugh

I love that video. Weight loss is simple math. There are advanced calculations required to define the parameters, but with some very simple tools, a little effort, consistency and common sense it is easy to calculate energy in and energy out.

Start with a food journal and knowing your daily RMR. In the most basic, basic sense track by name and total calories consumed everything that passes your lips with a calorie attached. (Track % of CHO, PRO, FAT, sodium if you want)Usually just this honesty will curb unconscious snacking and save a couple hundred calories daily.

At the end of the day add up all the calories/energy you put in. SUBTRACT that from your RMR with the goal to be under eating your RMR by 250-500 calories every day.

Each time you exercise, track the energy out/calories burned, and include this number as a SUBTRACTION from your RMR. Now you see how the deficit builds up.

If consistent every day per week:

If your RMR is 2,000 calories per day,
And food intake is 1,500 calories,*
Person has a 500 calorie food deficit for the day.
End result is a 3,500 or 1 lb loss per week.**

If RMR is 2,000 calories per day,
And food intake is 1,500 calories per day,*
And your daily exercise is 500 calories per day,
Person has a 500 calorie food deficit AND 500 calorie exercise deficit for the day.
End result is a daily deficit of 1,000 calories per day or 2 lbs loss per week.**

This basic program is not without its flaws as you move into tracking by a magnitude of years, your body changes, goals change, habits change. You need to readjust personal static numbers and introduce muscle confusion.

*Daily Food intake regardless of doctrine does not summarily dictate weight loss. Other factors such as the % of Carbs, fats, protein, absorption of vitamins and minerals, water, sodium and a host of other issues may come into play on a daily basis. Long term simple math does dictate consuming less than required equals weight loss.

**Weekly losses are results of daily consistency. There is no magic pill, magic diet, late night exercise equipment or advanced math that guarantees if you are exactly 3,500 calories short of your weekly RMR, you have lost one pound. This is where eventual plateaus are found because the body has become accustomed to the eating, displaced held water, cleansed the digestive system, mastered the efficiency of your exercise or the RMR needs to be adjusted due to weight loss, or lean muscle gain.

I'm really sorry this post and the last are so long, if I was saying this it would take just a minute. Reading is much longer.

#220195 - 03/24/11 05:31 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

This seems a remarkable turn around in health advice, that no one has heard of. Can you cite where these studies are that now say eating saturated fat is good for you?
qjs

Phaedrus wrote:
>the Aktin's Diet. It used to be very fashionable to bash it but >an awful lot of recent studies have validated the basic approach

#220198 - 03/24/11 05:54 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
- when parking anywhere, don't park next to the door - park out in left field and walk in;

- if you have a parking garage at work - park near the top - the views are usually pretty good, there's lots of spaces, and you can find your vehicle easier - not to mention you then have the opportunity to walk down and then walk back up again. reverse if subterranean parking;

- if you work in a multi-story building - take the stairs instead of the elevator - and if you're lucky enough to work in a tall building, make it to the 10th floor (an arbitrary number) and then back down - increase over time;

- wear your 10 - 15 lbs pack when using the above;

- portion control - we eat too much - we rate a restaurant by how large the portions are;

- only eat a pint of ice cream, not the whole quart laugh

- more later after i eat lunch.

#220379 - 03/28/11 02:09 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
Pete Offline
Veteran

By the way ... I'll add something helpful, since my last comment was flippant.

One of the best exercises ... is simply walking. The human body is very well designed for walking. Long distance walking is an excellent way to maintain a good healthy body weight.

We tend to get caught up in the mentality of "high intensity" workouts. Although these types of workouts can burn a lot of calories, they can also more easily generate injuries. In addition, some people have a hard time getting motivated for very demanding workouts - whereas the simple act of walking isn't too hard to do (any time of day or night). Walking does not overstress your body, but will burn calories at a consistent rate if you keep it up. You can increase you energy consumption by walking up hills, or walking up hills and having a light rucksack on your back.

In many poorer countries around the world - people stay in excellent shape just by walking every day. Of course, it's usually because they don't own a car. But our prosperity sometimes works against us ... if more Americans spent time walking it would do them a lot of good.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/28/11 02:10 PM)

#220381 - 03/28/11 02:44 PM Re: What's the best way to reduce weight ??? [Re: Chisel]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I have experienced good results using Bill Phillips' Body for Life program. While I don't really do the exact program any more, the way he teaches the eating aspect is pretty easy to adopt as a lifestyle; I think this part is key.

To get going though, I'd definitely recommend following the program to the tee, especially the planning aspects. While, as I said, it is easy to transition into a lifestyle, the structure for the first 12 weeks (or even more!) helps build the foundation which makes the transition possible.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.