Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#220065 - 03/23/11 11:21 AM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Almost sounds like our cub-scout troop should be learning about stoves rather than how to make a fire.

teach them both! knowledge is power and so is having options. we had a camp a few weeks ago where we set-up a stove station and a campfire station. they got to try out lots of different stoves and firestarting materials.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220068 - 03/23/11 12:31 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Roarmeister]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Nowadays, I am more interested in making my own copy of a wood fire stove to prevent any impact on nature similar to this stove: http://www.churchillrivercanoestore.com/...rt&Itemid=1 Having a stove that will prevent any burn marks on the soil or will eliminate the need for leaving scorched unsightly rocks to scare the trail just makes sense.

Exactly.

I use something very similar to the Churchill river stove, but a much simpler (and cheaper!) design. Essentially just a bunch of steel plates hinged together with wire (the simplest possible hinge: Make a hole, thread a wire, twist). It gets the work done.

My "hinged steel plate fireplace" also eliminates the need for disposable grills (I hate those with an intense passion).

A paradox, perhaps - but in really remote areas I don't see many problems with lighting a fire without any stove or fireplace. Usually, you will find old fire places at the most obvious camp site places anyway - just use that. And if not, the environmental impact is marginal anyway if done properly. IMHO, the problem is larger in areas with more people - typically the easiest accessible recreational/semi-wilderness areas/parks close to population centers. IMHO, more people equals less environmental footprint of the individual if you are not to "wear out" the area.

#220070 - 03/23/11 01:38 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
All this talk of wood stoves brings back fond memories. In grade 2, I got a hold of a #10 coffee can, a church key and Dad's tin snips. I punched air holes at the base and the top and made a slot for loading tiny branches. Then I grabbed my kid sister and a gal friend from class, both of whom doubted my skills at cooking in the out doors. We hiked to the perimeter of town, then I fired up the can stove with a couple of paper matches/toilet paper/fingerlings of wood and proceeded to cook an egg and some bacon on the top rim of the can. I was as proud as a peacock! I was "da man"!

Never told my parents though because I knew I would catch royal heck for "playing with fire". smile

Nowadays, I am more interested in making my own copy of a wood fire stove to prevent any impact on nature similar to this stove: http://www.churchillrivercanoestore.com/...rt&Itemid=1 Having a stove that will prevent any burn marks on the soil or will eliminate the need for leaving scorched unsightly rocks to scare the trail just makes sense.

5 lbs, 8oz for the small. Yipes! Definitely not meant to be carried on the back.

HJ

#220082 - 03/23/11 03:47 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For that much poundage, I could carry two Pocket Rockets, four gas canisters, cook faster, and save a lot of weight (as well as money), with less immediate environmental impact (leaving out the environmental footprint of production of the gas canisters).

#220085 - 03/23/11 04:34 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
5 lbs, 8oz for the small. Yipes! Definitely not meant to be carried on the back.

Right, those are for canoe trippers who like to cook with wood. There are many places where this is still acceptable. You can get a couple of cook pots and a coffee pot on one of those without uglying the landscape.

I have one of those charcoal chimney starters ($10 on sale) that would actually make a pretty sweet portable wood stove. Too heavy to backpack except for a base camp, but handy for canoe or car camping. A swatch of insulation under the base would protect a picnic table or forest floor. One of these days I'll get around to firing it up.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/23/11 04:40 PM)

#220098 - 03/23/11 06:59 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: dougwalkabout]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Right, those are for canoe trippers who like to cook with wood. There are many places where this is still acceptable. You can get a couple of cook pots and a coffee pot on one of those without uglying the landscape.

I have one of those charcoal chimney starters ($10 on sale) that would actually make a pretty sweet portable wood stove. Too heavy to backpack except for a base camp, but handy for canoe or car camping. A swatch of insulation under the base would protect a picnic table or forest floor. One of these days I'll get around to firing it up.

$108 for small, I still like my $5 paint can woodgas stove better lol!

#220105 - 03/23/11 08:00 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jzmtl

Keep in mind you can make the same stove/fireplace/etc. out of scrap sheet metal and a discarded oven grate for $0 plus your time.

Not that there's anything wrong with a paint-can stove. For one-person use, it's light and highly portable. As you know, you can't buy the satisfaction that comes from using something you made with your own hands.

#220117 - 03/24/11 02:08 AM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

You ain't kidding. Just think of what a nice stove you could buy with $108. wink

HJ

#220125 - 03/24/11 02:32 AM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, I buy that. But if you are in a place where you have a more-or-less infinite supply of ready evergreen sticks, you might reasonably ask why you're schlepping two week's worth of fuel for cooking. So you use the ready fuel. But the possibility of lousy weather demands that you carry a smokin' white gas stove as a backup. Most canoe trippers do. We really do like to eat, regardless of the weather. (And you can carry a lot of frozen steaks in a canoe. With the makings for fresh-baked biscuits. And suitable refreshments, and hot desserts. Rough it? heck no, we prefer to smooth it.)

#220150 - 03/24/11 10:25 AM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
(And you can carry a lot of frozen steaks in a canoe. With the makings for fresh-baked biscuits. And suitable refreshments, and hot desserts. Rough it? heck no, we prefer to smooth it.)

I get the feeling that canoeists live in an entirely different universe than backpackers. Beef jerky, anyone?

Could I surmise that "suitable refreshments" come in cans that fizz when you pop them open?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.