The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#220194 - 03/24/11 05:21 PM Re: Tokyo tapwater unsafe for babies [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Exacty, just when was the water bottled? I have no good idea, but I wil bet that the interval is fairly short. If I were really worried about radiation, I would appreciate the assurance that my drink was nuke free.

Different brands of bottled water are produced locally from tap water (such as Coca Cola's Dasani brand and Pepsico's Aquafina), whilst other brands are produced and bottled at source (such as Perrier, Volvic and Highland Spring etc) then shipped to the international markets.

Even then the Dasani and Aquafina brands will use reverse Osmosis so should remove a high percentage of the radioactive nuclear contamination of the locally produced stuff.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/24/11 05:25 PM)

#220200 - 03/24/11 06:03 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I found these two time-lapse visual representations of the number of aftershocks experienced by the people in Japan, particularly those closest to the epicenter, including the people working at Fukushima Daiichi. It boggles my mind to watch so many aftershocks occur one after another in this visual display. So many of them are magnitude 5+, so definitely something that you will feel.

I don't know if the people have gradually gotten used to them, or if their hearts still skip a beat each time they feel the ground start to move. Just the stress of all the aftershocks must be wearing people out.

This one covers the first full week since the 9.0.

This one is a completely different representation. It has a haunting soundtrack to it, although the time lapse is slower and it takes a lot more patience to watch it (I didn't make it to the end). The big quake doesn't hit till about the 0:51 mark in the video, in case you're tempted to give up after half a minute of watching nothing happening.

#220201 - 03/24/11 06:21 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Arney
I found these two time-lapse visual representations of the number of aftershocks experienced by the people in Japan, particularly those closest to the epicenter, including the people working at Fukushima Daiichi. It boggles my mind to watch so many aftershocks occur one after another in this visual display.

I'm punch-drunk just from the first video.

Thanks for the links, Arney.

#220207 - 03/24/11 07:35 PM Re: Tokyo tapwater unsafe for babies [Re: hikermor]
desolation Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sonoma County, CA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Exacty, just when was the water bottled? I have no good idea, but I wil bet that the interval is fairly short. If I were really worried about radiation, I would appreciate the assurance that my drink was nuke free.

Time to break out the sake, then. crazy

#220208 - 03/24/11 07:56 PM Re: Tokyo tapwater unsafe for babies [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Apparently it was just harmless pollen and not Yellowcake Nuclear fallout.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/80675.html

#220212 - 03/24/11 08:47 PM Re: Tokyo tapwater unsafe for babies [Re: stevenpd]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"If that happened here in DC, there'd be a stampede of minivans and SUVs zooming (or crawling in gridlock) to Costco, Wal-Mart, Sams and every supermarket, mini-mart and corner grocery within 100 miles of the Beltway, at least."

You just identified a major problem in modern Amercican life. The omni-present SUV. Hadn't stopped to consider that before. Suppose one panicked mother - or father - drives up to a supermarket in an SUV. Just how many cases of bottled water, and how many cans of soup, do you think they can load into one vehicle? I bet it's a lot. This type of hoarding is going to be a BIG problem in a real disaster.

"Note the contemporaneous report below that there was hand-to-hand combat in a Los Angeles grocery over the last can of pork and beans. This excerpt is from the cover article of the November 2, 1962 edition of Time."

Ha! Ha!! A black eye over pork-and-beans. That's pretty pathetic. And there wan't even a nuclear incident in 1962. This is doing a lot to encourage me to stock up my food supplies now.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/24/11 08:49 PM)

#220218 - 03/25/11 12:49 AM Re: Tokyo tapwater unsafe for babies [Re: stevenpd]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A few years ago we received a note in our water bill letting us know that our water tested too high for something and we shouldn't let infants or toddlers drink it. Our son was about one year old and we had started him on those transition cereals where you mix the powder with water. So we ended up having to buy water to use for him. I'd buy those big 2 gallon square just, they were far more space efficient that small round bottles.
We received no other notice letting us know when the water actually tested unsafe or no notice letting us know when it was safe again, real nice communication of our city at work.

#220229 - 03/25/11 04:12 AM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The government is now calling for the voluntary evacuation of the 20-30km zone around Fukushima Daiichi. Until now, that zone has been under a shelter-in-place order. The reason given for this change is not radiation, but because supplies in the zone are dwindling and they are having trouble re-supplying the area. Apparently truck drivers are refusing to enter the area due to radiation concerns. Lack of fuel in the zone is also an issue.

Edit: This morning, been reading about conflicting statements by the government and TEPCO regarding the possible loss of containment in the reactor vessel for reactor 3. Reactor 1 is also apparently far from being stabilized. So, depending on whom you believe, the situation is arguably getting worse again and perhaps this is the reason for the new voluntary evacuation order for the 20-30km zone.

Edited by Arney (03/25/11 11:13 AM)

#220239 - 03/25/11 11:57 AM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: Arney]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Arney
I found these two time-lapse visual representations of the number of aftershocks experienced by the people in Japan, particularly those closest to the epicenter, including the people working at Fukushima Daiichi. It boggles my mind to watch so many aftershocks occur one after another in this visual display. So many of them are magnitude 5+, so definitely something that you will feel.

I don't know if the people have gradually gotten used to them, or if their hearts still skip a beat each time they feel the ground start to move. Just the stress of all the aftershocks must be wearing people out.

This one covers the first full week since the 9.0.

This one is a completely different representation. It has a haunting soundtrack to it, although the time lapse is slower and it takes a lot more patience to watch it (I didn't make it to the end). The big quake doesn't hit till about the 0:51 mark in the video, in case you're tempted to give up after half a minute of watching nothing happening.

This is a popular link to time-lapse visualizations of earthquakes in Japan, http://www.japanquakemap.com/. Maybe its already been posted. It drives home the point that for every major quake, there are hundreds or even thousands of aftershocks, a great many felt. Guaranteed to drive up the stress level among survivors.

#220316 - 03/27/11 01:40 PM Re: Earthqauke in Japan [Re: stevenpd]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
This link: Some Perspective On The Japan Earthquake talks about preparedness in Japan. It is upbeat and well-worth reading. "Tsunami” and “typhoon" are Japanese words, but there is no Japanese word for "excessive preparation".

"The story of Japanese railways during the earthquake and tsunami is the story of an unceasing drumbeat of everything going right."

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.