The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#206811 - 08/26/10 09:41 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: KenK]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
KenK,

My Skeletool rides in the left front magazine pocket of my 5.11 Cargo Pants.

Cheers,
W-W

#207361 - 09/06/10 02:06 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: NightHiker]
zippo Offline
Stranger

I was always under the impression that BG was considered a Walter Mitty at best and a danger to himself at the worsted . That being the case would any sane person depend on any thing that he has designed/endorsed.

#207372 - 09/06/10 10:28 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: BorkBorkBork]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: BorkBorkBork
Sorry, but I would never buy anything even remotely connected to Bear Grylls.

To those who thinks he is X-special forces is way off mark. He was in the territorial army 21:st SAS, but that is not the S.A.S, Special Forces proper, which is the 22:nd.

For your information: "At the end of the war the British Government saw no further need for the force and disbanded it on 8 October 1945.[2] However, the following year it was decided there was a need for a long term deep penetration commando unit, and a new SAS regiment was to be raised as part of the Territorial Army.[22] Ultimately, the Artists Rifles, raised in 1860 and headquartered at Dukes Road, Euston, took on the SAS mantle as 21st SAS Regiment (V) on 1 January 1947"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_air_service

If you bother to read the article through you will note that the selection process for 21 SAS is the same as for 22 SAS.

You might not like Bear, which is fine and your privilege, but he passed selection.

#207380 - 09/06/10 02:27 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: zippo]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Sane people do not necessarily have the level of education to judge the show moderated by BG correctly. Many watch it just for entertainment. BG is widely known and popular. Thatīs enough for marketing. People with proper education can judge the tool. If it performs and has a reasonable price why not buy it?
Face it:
People like BG because the show has spectacular stunts. They talk about it so more people get to know him. People like Les Stroud or Doug Ritter are almost unknown on my side of the pond. Their information may help to survive but "play it save" is pretty lame if you want some entertainment.

#207388 - 09/06/10 04:42 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Precisely. Real survival situations are actually rather boring (for onlookers, at least) about 90% of the time. But BG goes way beyond any acceptable limits, demonstrating absolutely improbable, unrealistic, and dangerous stunts.

#207389 - 09/06/10 06:03 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: BorkBorkBork
Sorry, but I would never buy anything even remotely connected to Bear Grylls.

To those who thinks he is X-special forces is way off mark. He was in the territorial army 21:st SAS, but that is not the S.A.S, Special Forces proper, which is the 22:nd.

For your information: "At the end of the war the British Government saw no further need for the force and disbanded it on 8 October 1945.[2] However, the following year it was decided there was a need for a long term deep penetration commando unit, and a new SAS regiment was to be raised as part of the Territorial Army.[22] Ultimately, the Artists Rifles, raised in 1860 and headquartered at Dukes Road, Euston, took on the SAS mantle as 21st SAS Regiment (V) on 1 January 1947"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_air_service

If you bother to read the article through you will note that the selection process for 21 SAS is the same as for 22 SAS.

You might not like Bear, which is fine and your privilege, but he passed selection.

I don't want to join in on the pi..ing contest on who knows most about the selection and so on, but (according to the wiki you linked to) "The Territorial Army Special Air Service (reserve) Regiments undergo the same selection process, but as a part-time programme over a longer period:"

Which is not the same thing as doing it in a single stretch, any sane person knows that. And to quote Chris Ryan "-he hasn't served in the same S.A.S as I have."

And then you go on to say that he (Grylls) passed selection, according to whom?

I suggest that you read some proper literature on the topic.
I can recommend, for starters, Ghost Force, The secret history of the SAS, by Ken Connor. 1998.
I will end here.

#207393 - 09/06/10 06:52 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: M_a_x]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Sane people do not necessarily have the level of education to judge the show moderated by BG correctly. Many watch it just for entertainment. BG is widely known and popular. Thatīs enough for marketing. People with proper education can judge the tool. If it performs and has a reasonable price why not buy it?
Face it:
People like BG because the show has spectacular stunts. They talk about it so more people get to know him. People like Les Stroud or Doug Ritter are almost unknown on my side of the pond. Their information may help to survive but "play it save" is pretty lame if you want some entertainment.

Doug isn't about entertainment , he is about education. Stroud still manages to be entertaining as well as educational.

#207396 - 09/06/10 07:46 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I thought this thread was about a knife and not another "let's bash Bear" thread that has been discussed ad nauseam here in this fine forum several times and many other lesser forums as well.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have never seen the TV show and main character, thusly it would be inappropriate for me to comment or pass judgement one way or the other on the man or show.

Can we talk about a knife or knives for survival purposes...I believe that is why most here frequent this forum.

John Lubbock

#207404 - 09/06/10 10:21 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: BorkBorkBork]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And to quote Chris Ryan "-he hasn't served in the same S.A.S as I have."

Chris Ryan certainly seems to have led Ross Kemp up the garden path. laugh

#207421 - 09/07/10 02:53 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival Knife... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I thought this thread was about a knife and not another "let's bash Bear" thread that has been discussed ad nauseam here in this fine forum several times and many other lesser forums as well.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have never seen the TV show and main character, thusly it would be inappropriate for me to comment or pass judgement one way or the other on the man or show.

Can we talk about a knife or knives for survival purposes...I believe that is why most here frequent this forum.

Well to be fair his signature is on the blade and his ititials are emblazoned in orange block letters on the handle! grin He & Gerber are capitalizing on his fame/notoriety to move the product, so that same fame and notoriety are bound to be called into question. For my own part I've only seen a few clips of his, and while he seems like a clown it's not skin off my nose.

I haven't used the knife but I have zero use for serrations, especially in the section of the knife I'd be using to whittle or baton.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.