Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#220363 - 03/28/11 03:53 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Whats left over, the Mason jar took the unopened box of 375 rounds perfectly to the rim the rest have been dipped into and I think im gonna keep that open in the box.

Edited by Frisket (03/28/11 03:59 AM)

#220374 - 03/28/11 01:28 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Alright so I got a lot of rounds left and now I wanna store them would it be ok to store them in mason jars without any form of desiccant?

I've never needed to use desiccant with stored ammo. I use dry boxes and have never had a problem.

#220415 - 03/28/11 09:54 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The henrys I looked at were poorly put together and the wood always wiggled a concerning amount .... felt a lot better then he henrys which felt more like cheap BB guns then 22 rifles.

???

This is an odd comment. You bought a Marlin 795 and are complaining about Henry's "inferior" quality??? Don't get me wrong, a Marlin 795 is a fine starter rifle. But it's not in the same class, either quality-wise or accuracy-wise, as the Henry. I own both and have shot many many rounds through both. The Henry slaps the Marlin down every time. But like I said, the Marlin is a good rifle to start out with or just to plink around with. It's usually the rifle I recommend to new folks just starting out in firearms who don't know what they want, or don't have much money available.

#220437 - 03/29/11 12:03 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Sorry to offend Im just stating my opinion from what I saw when handling two brand new henrys at two different Stores Compared to a used Browning for the same price. I have no doubt the Henry will preform well.

#220442 - 03/29/11 12:33 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not offended, just very surprised. Every Henry I've handled, both mine, my friends, and models on the rack in stores have been rock solid in feel. Fantastically smooth actions, no wobble of the wood stocks, well fitted, and very nicely finished wood. Every one I've shot has been dead nuts accurate. I have not handled a Browning .22, but I have handled a Browning BLR lever action .308. That one was exquisitely beautiful. Brownings have a good reputation. I believe they are quite a bit more expensive then the Henrys and Marlins. I wouldn't hesitate to consider a Browning if I had the cash and needed another .22 (I already have nine of them!) For the price of the Browning, I'd probably consider a CZ first. I don't have a CZ either, ... yet!

#220444 - 03/29/11 12:43 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

If I had the cash Id Skip henry And browning and get a Marlin 39A. Shooting That rifle was just amazing! breaking it down showed just how simple and heavy duty it is AND the barrel is a 30-30 barrel milled out for 22 instead. Its one of them firearms that would be passed down for generations with little wear or tear on it.

EDIT
Hmmm Cant find info on the barrel but i was informed By a few people at the store and gunshow the barrel is pretty much a 30-30 milled for 22 ither way its much thicker then other 22 barrels i have seen.

Edited by Frisket (03/29/11 01:19 AM)

#220467 - 03/29/11 03:27 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My Henry youth gun is a solid rifle and I've got thousands upon thousands of rounds through it with no issues. Where did the ones you played with wobble? More than likely it just needed to have the buttstock screw tightened (the buttstock comes off with one long bolt, and if it's loose the buttstock will wiggle a little). It's the same with the foregrip, it's held on by one long screw and if it's loose the foregrip might move a little.

My little Henry is actually one of my favorite .22's. It will feed and fire all .22LR, .22L, and .22S rounds just fine [.22 shorts are great for small pest control or backyard target shooting]. It's very compact [overall length is only 33", which is ~7" shorter than a standard Marlin 39A or Browning BL-22]. It's very light [at around 4.5 lbs]....and finally, I really like the hooded front sight, as it can be extremely quick to aim when hunting small game.

Another upside to Henry is that they have one of the best warranties in the business, they pretty much go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied. Amazingly, if you e-mail the company, Anthony Imperato (the owner) will more often than not answer your e-mail personally.

Do they make the highest quality guns out there? Not really, as they use a lot of cast parts and some plastic here and there (less on their higher end guns). However, they make an awesome gun for the money and they're reliable, which is what counts. Plus all the components for them are made right here in the USA.

I mean, I paid the same price for my little Henry as I did for a compact 10/22, and I would take the Henry over the Ruger. To get a better quality lever rifle, one would probably have to go with a Browning BL-22 or a Marlin 39A, which are around double the price at least....and a lot of people have had issues with newer Marlin 39A's (specifically related to poor extraction and light-strikes from the rebounding hammer).

#220473 - 03/29/11 05:53 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I had the cash Id Skip henry And browning and get a Marlin 39A.

Be sure and get an older one (buy it used). The newer ones are not so good anymore. Marlins quality and customer service has been going downhill in recent years. They still make pretty decent rifles, but not up to the standards they set in years past. My Marlin 981T (bolt action tube-fed .22) is my favorite Marlin. But even that one came to me with problems from the factory. The crown looked like a monkey created it with an off balance hand drill. But after I recrowned it myself, it's been a sweet shooter. And sadly it's not just Marlin - I've noticed quality dropping off with other manufacturers as well. Sigh...

This thread has strayed way off target. Enjoy your new Marlin 795! They are fun guns to plink around with. They are surprisingly accurate and don't jam when fed decent ammo. It's hard to believe they can sell this rifle as cheap as they do. I put a WGRS-54 rear aperture sight and a TechSight front post sight on my 795 and I love shooting it with that setup. A small scope would be nice too (I like the inexpensive Simmons 22Mag 4x32 for .22 plinking). The one thing I am looking to change on my 795 is the magazine catch. I hate that. But I haven't figured out how to alter it yet. Maybe somebody will come out with a third party replacement release. I'd snap one of those up in a hurry.

If they have Appleseeds in your area, I highly recommend attending one of those shoots. You will learn a lot and have a mess of fun! Your 795 is the perfect rifle for an Appleseed.

#220579 - 03/30/11 03:51 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Congrats on your new rifle. I would recommend you find an Appleseed shoot near you and learn how to shoot it safely and well. We see lots of 795's on the line these days.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Good luck!

Greg

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.