The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#219873 - 03/20/11 10:45 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I suppose it depends on the .22. My .22LR rifles are bolt action. I close the bolt with the trigger depressed so the bolt isn't cocked as it closes. With a semi-auto I'd use either a cleaned spent casing or snap cap.

#219874 - 03/20/11 10:52 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Aint that somthing the paper manual seems to state nothing about dry firing nor storage of the firearm..strange...also aint it silly how fast the internet makes you forget about paper? sad

#219875 - 03/20/11 11:06 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
For bulk ammunition, Federal Value packs are one of the best deals going and they're widely available (Walmart sells 550 packs, everywhere else sells 525 packs....same exact ammo just different packaging):

I'm also a big fan of their bulk Auto Match 22 (and it's actually what I stock up on for the most part). My older 22's with well worn barrels tend to like it (vs. copper-washed bullet .22lr ammunition), and it still works just fine in my newer .22s as well:

For higher-quality .22 ammunition, it's hard to go wrong with CCI. Their Mini-Mag (in both round nose and hollow point) is pretty much the golden standard when it comes to a high-quality, reasonably priced, .22lr round that works well in a wide variety of firearms.

I like these for hunting (as opposed to general plinking), as they have a very low misfire rate. (with typical rimfire rounds, it's somewhat common to occasionally get a dud round that won't go off when the firing pin hits the round's rim....however, in my experience, that rarely happens with Mini-Mags)

If I could only have one type of .22lr round, I would be plenty happy with mini-mags. Also, when I do buy 'em, I make sure to save the plastic boxes they come in. It's a great way to organize bulk ammo. Just take the label off and write a new one on with masking tape so you know which is which.

When it comes to high-end ammunition, Eley Tenex is arguably the best and it's what is widely used in .22lr competitions. However, it's extremely expensive and it requires a high-end firearm to really see the maximum potential of the round. For a Marlin 795, it's likely not going to be worth it. However, I thought it was worth mentioning just so you know what else is out there.

Finally, while a .22lr isn't really the best choice when it comes to a firearm for personal/home defense, if it's all you have then you might one day (unfortunately) have to use it in that role. With that in mind, I would recommend CCI Velocitors (not Stingers). It has a 40gr hollow-point bullet that travels at around 1400ft-sec from a rifle. Penetration and weight retention is excellent for a .22lr (which also makes it a good round for hunting). However, because it's such a hot round, it's not really good to use it all the time; it's also somewhat expensive. All in all, it's good to have a box or two on hand (and to test it out), but it's probably not something you're going to want to shoot all the time.

Hope that helps. smile

#219877 - 03/20/11 11:12 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Many Thanks The manual holds CCI up high i think ill stick to that and federal bulk for the cheap stuff hopefully that 10x5x5 inch brick of CCI i saw was mini mags and a good price.

For now i have to go thanks for the advice im sure ill keep this thread alive as i go and enjoy ma 22 ryfal!

#219882 - 03/20/11 11:39 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Paul810]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
When it comes to dry-firing, it's not typically a good idea to do it with most .22 firearms. The reason being, is that the firing pin (steel) can hit the steel edge of the chamber. Steel against steel (with no brass to buffer the blow) = no good. It can potentially damage the firing pin or the chamber rim.

As far as storage, I wouldn't store it with a .22lr case in it. An empty bore and chamber is typically the best way to store a firearm, that way you can always ensure it's unloaded with a quick check of the chamber. Leaving a shell in there might cause you to confuse an empty shell for a loaded cartridge, thereby potentially leading to a dangerous negligent discharge.

Now, on a lot of .22's you can pull the bolt all the way back and then (ensuring the gun is empty), at the same time, pull and hold the trigger while slowly letting the bolt forward. This then allows the firearm to be stored un-cocked. I forget whether or not the 795 can do this, but if it can, that's the best way to store it.

Otherwise, if it doesn't let you un-cock it, I would store it cocked on an empty chamber. Most people prefer not to store firearms cocked, as it can potentially wear springs. However, the act of shooting the firearm puts more wear on the springs than leaving them compressed does, so it really isn't a big deal.

#219883 - 03/20/11 11:48 PM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There's a lot of good info in this thread.

Please get some training. The NRA Basic Rifle and Basic Pistol classes are great places to start. If you care to PM me your ZIP code, I'd be glad to help you find an instructor.

I'd been shooting for 20 years when I took the Basic Pistol class (my wife wouldn't go unless I went with her) and I learned some good stuff. Now I'm a competitive shooter, an instructor and a league RSO and I'm still learning.

#219886 - 03/21/11 12:59 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I just read that Marlins usually come dirty in the action and should be cleaned and lubed befor use? Does anyone have any opinions on this? I never took apart a gun befor so im terrified of taking it apart.

I still need a cleaning kit aswell which it seems for the marlin 795 would just be a patch rod a toothbrush and solvent. I also need Oil and grease. Can anyone point me towards brandnames? I Know about remoil which is readily available here but thats about it. Strange feeling knowing a bunch about guns till you own one and realize you know little in the end lol

#219887 - 03/21/11 01:08 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Im very very very suprised at the lack of information the manual has....Very sad..You would think for a firearm youd get more then a 14 page cliffnotes on what to do.

#219888 - 03/21/11 01:37 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'll add tip:When you go to Purchase Ammo,Buy it by the 50 round pack,& Buy as Many different Brands as you can,That way you don't have a Bunch of Bunk Ammo on hand,Should your Gun,Not like the Flavor,& It will Save some money that is better spent on Good Ammo!I use CCI Ammo for my .22's,& Have Never had a Dud!YMMV,Have Fun!

#219891 - 03/21/11 02:32 AM Re: My First Firearm Hurray! [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Cleaning kits and particularly lubricants are a matter of religious fervor to a lot of folks. Be prepared for a lot of opinions and advice here.

If you only have one thing, Breakfree CLP is the thing to have. It isn't the very best cleaner, lubricant or protectant, but it does all three competently. I keep a bottle in my BOB.

At home I use Hoppes as a bore cleaner, although Shooters Choice is just as good. For most of my guns I use a Tuf-Cloth with a few drops of liquid Tuf-Glide on bearing surfaces. This has worked well for me in competition and some very intense training.

Other than a rod, some patches, and a cleaning brush (gun cleaning brushes outperform toothbrushes in my experience) I'd also get a Boresnake, some disposable shop towels, and something to help you get into small places. I like CountyComm's Universal Cleaning Stick, but you could easily improvise something that worked well for you.

Follow each gun's manual carefully on disassembly, reassembly, cleaning and lubrication.

Whatever else you do, keep all ammo out of the cleaning area and check to ensure the gun is completely unloaded. Check twice. Check every time you even look away from the gun.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.