Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#219785 - 03/19/11 04:17 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I think that having the option to build a makeshift wood stove out of cans is a really good survival technique. Take a look at Japan right now - lots of wood debris after the tsunami and the earthquake. Initially some of the debris may be soaked with seawater, but it will dry out. It's going to take these people a long time to re-build. I'm sure they will be using wood for fuel for quite a while.

In the woods - foraging for tinder serves a very valuable purpose of removing dead undergrowth that is a fire hazard.

In the city, it's helpful to have some small stuff for tinder. Although bits of cardboard do kinda' work, it's not as good as actually having small bits of wood.

A saw is not so good for preparing tinder ... there's nothing like a small tomahawk for this purpose. But they're very heavy to carry in your pack. I have been wondering about getting one of the lightweight tomahawks, like the one in the link below. But have not tried it out, and am not sure if it's worth getting. The price is not bad, though ($52).

http://sogknives.com/store/F09.html

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/19/11 04:17 PM)

#219789 - 03/19/11 04:29 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Pete]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Pete
A saw is not so good for preparing tinder ... there's nothing like a small tomahawk for this purpose.

I much prefer a stout knife that can be used to baton / split wood, carve fuzz sticks, shave off thin curls, and provide the steel to create spark with flint.

#219791 - 03/19/11 04:35 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: JerryFountain]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
As Jerry mentioned, there are many area environments and terrain where a wood stove or fire is not conducive to a hot lunch or dinner. This area (which we are going back to for a week long hiking trip in late June) is a prime example where a modern liquid fueled or cannister stove is mandatory...

John Lubbock

#219792 - 03/19/11 04:43 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Pete Offline
Veteran

John ... True. Pretty country!! But if you're above the tree line, firewood is going to be a bit scarce. ha! Ha!!

Pete #2

#219793 - 03/19/11 04:43 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have always been able to acquire adequate tinder simply with my bare hands. You want really fine, thin fuel. Look for dead twigs on standing trees, well in the interior where they are shielded from moisture. Bits of dead bark work quite well. Stuff lying on the ground is usually too wet to work very well.

Bark from Utah juniper is absolutely superb. It can be easily lit directly from a match - you would think it was soaked in gasoline. Pine knots from decayed logs work extraordinarily well - full of pitch, they can also be lit directly with a match.

For negligible weight, it is a good idea to carry cotton balls and some kind of petroleum jelly - a never fail backup.

#219799 - 03/19/11 06:25 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A good wood burning camping stove will utilize less wood than just cooking over a campfire. It is more efficient, and a bit easier to use a small cooking pot. They are not bad, and are easily built. There are a few techniques which can give you the same effect without carrying anything, such as a prairie stove where you dig a small hole, with a tunnel for air and build the fire in the hole with your pot over the top. It is dangerous in some forests though, with so much rotting vegetation instead of sand or dirt. You run the risk of starting a fire without knowing it.

#219800 - 03/19/11 06:42 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
juhirvon Offline

Depending on the way you pack it, a wood stove may even allow you to carry a pre-set fire with you (if you can spare the space of having the stove full of twigs, tree bark and wood chips inside, just add fire).

You can protect and contain it with a simple plastic bag. We've done this a few times when we know it's going to rain a lot later. Once your dry patch is burning well, you can add damp or dry firewood bit by bit.

I usually just carry a alcohol stove.

-jh

#219806 - 03/19/11 08:00 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: juhirvon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Zen Stoves has an interesting run down on types of wood stoves.

HJ

#219809 - 03/19/11 08:14 PM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For after disaster use in an urban or suburban setting the one thing may places have is wood. Propane, gasoline, kerosene, butane and electricity might all be expected to be in short supply. Even sunshine might be hard to come by in some situations but in those areas, even assuming there are no trees or woods, wood is easy to get. Look at after the tornado, hurricane or tsunami photographs, lots of wood from demolished buildings is piled up. If you had a hatchet or say you would have more wood to burn than you would ever need.

In rural areas and wilderness camping in most areas you have wide swaths of forest and scrub brush that is full of suitable things to feed a wood stove.

#220053 - 03/23/11 06:02 AM Re: Why carry a wood stove? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
All this talk of wood stoves brings back fond memories. In grade 2, I got a hold of a #10 coffee can, a church key and Dad's tin snips. I punched air holes at the base and the top and made a slot for loading tiny branches. Then I grabbed my kid sister and a gal friend from class, both of whom doubted my skills at cooking in the out doors. We hiked to the perimeter of town, then I fired up the can stove with a couple of paper matches/toilet paper/fingerlings of wood and proceeded to cook an egg and some bacon on the top rim of the can. I was as proud as a peacock! I was "da man"!

Never told my parents though because I knew I would catch royal heck for "playing with fire". smile

Nowadays, I am more interested in making my own copy of a wood fire stove to prevent any impact on nature similar to this stove: http://www.churchillrivercanoestore.com/...rt&Itemid=1 Having a stove that will prevent any burn marks on the soil or will eliminate the need for leaving scorched unsightly rocks to scare the trail just makes sense.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.