The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#219396 - 03/16/11 03:14 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: eric_2003]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
consider adding clindamycin or metronidazole for GI infections; clinda of course can double for cellulitis. Seems infections run rampant after this stuff.

Zofran/phenergan/compazine for Nausea/vomiting.

Personal scrips, including spare glasses. Personally, if you wear contacts, have a case with some saline already in the cups, and ditch the contacts if you are in a disaster zone. Too much potential for crud to infect your eyes.

Your memory is right - KI for fallout.

Otherwise, I think most of the other meds have been touched upon.

Maybe a bag or 2 of saline, in case dehydration gets the best of someone. Which of course, entails all the set-up equipment as well.

#219406 - 03/16/11 05:09 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been wearing glasses for quite a few years now and I have come to appreciate them. I experience none of the hassles that affect contact wearers. Get safety grade hardened lenses and protect your eyes routinely.

I always carry a spare pair - otherwise I cannot drive legally (or competently).

#219408 - 03/16/11 05:12 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: eric_2003]
Pete Offline
Veteran

MDinana ... thanks. Will add to my list.

other Pete

#219433 - 03/16/11 07:12 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: eric_2003]
red Offline

Good post on an important (and somewhat controversial) topic.

My take is if you are going to 3rd world, you bring as much as you can to cover as many scenarios as possible. Hence, the docs in my clinic have no problem writing z packs and other antibiotics to send with people going on multi-week adventures in a place where they may not have access to the meds.

Here in the states, if you want to include a course of antibiotics in your BOB or whatever, that is your choice, but the difficulty of rotation and cost become something to seriously consider vs. the benefit.

I know some persons who went to Haiti to help out, and it was really meatball stuff. Horrid, really, with bandages running out (remember, bandages need to be changed, etc.)

If you want to go to the trouble of maintaining a fresh antibiotic supply in your home kit, go for it. I don't, even though I can easily obtain them.

#219766 - 03/19/11 01:24 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: Mark_M]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Pete

Note from the CDC: Agents such as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and doxycycline are no longer considered effective antimicrobial agents against enteric bacterial pathogens.

Just throwing some ideas out there. Unfortunately, keeping a sufficient and fresh supply of antibiotics is problematic for me.

Interesting about the CDC note, didn't know that here in Canada. Trimethoprim-sulfa came back as one of the useful agents in a patient who had a yersinia infection recently, and can actually be really useful in chest infections/pneumonia and skin infections also.

On keeping a fresh supply, I would discuss with your doc a travel /preparedness kit and then talk to a pharmacist about expiry. I have discussed this with pharmacists and the main thing is heat and moisture that kills drugs, and thus refrigeration or a freezer might be an option, though you have to be able to access it of course in a rapid emergency.

Eric

#219767 - 03/19/11 01:26 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: Pete]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Pete
Mark M:

dweste: In situations where there are a lot of people who are displaced from their homes, two things tend to go wrong. The first is that human fecal matter winds up getting into local water sources. People have diarrhea and they can't help polluting the water sources. If this gets bad, you wind up with outbreaks of cholera. Cholera kills people fast - esp. people who are run down due to exhaustion, dehydration, and hunger. Cholera shots are only partially effective. The best way to avoid cholera is to drink ONLY pure water, and to mix some oral rehydration salts (ORS). So it would be worthwhile to have the ingredients for ORS and the formula handy.

The second problem is that other communicable diseases can spread, due to the fact that you've got a lot of people living in very close proximity (colds/flu, diseases from ticks & fleas, etc.). So you have to decide how clean your local "refugee camp" really is ... before going there.

other Pete

For sure, oral rehydration salts and the know how to replace them is important. World Health Organization has some nice home made recipes also.

Eric

#220604 - 03/31/11 02:10 AM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: eric_2003]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
About epi-pens...

No one in my family appears presently to suffer from allergies that would require an epi-pen, but I've been working to build an all-around good first aid kit and several sources convinced me to get my doctor to write a scrip for an epi-pen. He did, and I have the box of two injectors sitting on my desk here.

What I didn't think about was leaving the epi-pens in the kit (which resides in my car) would kill them from heat. I leave the FAK (assembled in a Home Depot orange Homer box with tray and handle) wrapped in a blanket to moderate the heat, but it can quite quite warm in there at times. 87 degree or higher heat will kill an epi-pen, or so I'm told. On the other hand, its useless if you don't have it available when someone needs it.

Anyone with suggestions how to deal with this problem?

My kit has a box of 4x4s, tape, a County-Comm scissors, Zip-loc bag of gloves on top, my son's Type 1 diabetes test kit (except insulin), bandages, the full contents of the FAK that came with my SUV, alcohol pads, three ACE bandages, a SAM Splint, Kerlix rolls, Diabetic sugar tabs, Benedryl, Immodium, ibuprofen, a couple of light sticks, antiseptic wipes, calamine lotion, some hydroxycodone left over from a prescription, two face masks, triple ointment, ant-itch/burn cream, some moleskin, children's cold/cough tablets and a bottle of Tums. Based on the advice here I'm going to add some anti-nausea pills and some PVP wipes (non-Traid!). Still working on it.

#220608 - 03/31/11 03:02 AM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: eric_2003]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Store them in a properly sized thermus or lunch box with a ice pack you replace daily?

#220616 - 03/31/11 11:06 AM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: digimark]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the circumstance you describe, I would think an epi-pen completely unnecessary, and, as you are finding out, rather complex. My understanding is that epi-pens are for those with allergic histories, rather than the non-allergic general population.

I have a good friend who is highly athletic - college level pole vaulter, marathon runner, highly skilled rock climber - with a known sensitivity to bee and insect stings. he carries an epi-pen at all times. On one occasion we were climbing near a bee hive and, rightly so, he kept a very low and cautious profile. it was fine with me - I got to do most of the fun stuff.

There are posters here with greater training and more recent experience with this subject than I possess.. I hope we will hear from them.

#220634 - 03/31/11 04:28 PM Re: Meds for disaster [Re: digimark]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Digimark,

This problem has precluded me from keeping a back-up supply of insulin in my own vehicles. The only solution I have been able to come up with was to make it part of my EDC ... sort of. Not in my pockets EDC, but rather in a separate case containing all my necessary supplies and testing equipment that goes with me in a bag I carry with me EDC. The bag is never usually not far from me (it is sitting beside my office chair as I type) and it goes with me everywhere - well it is supposed to anyway. It is far from perfect (if I forget the bag, my needed supplies are left behind as well, which is why I DO have a backup kit that stays in my office as well). Good thing is the bag can also carry additional gear that I might otherwise not be able to EDC (like a heat sheets bivvy). I considered a belt pouch but my work environment precludes me carrying something like that. If you are serious about carrying the epi-pens, find a way to make them part of your own EDC. One good thing about doing that will be you can probably work it out to carry some extra insulin with you as well. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.