Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#219675 - 03/18/11 03:47 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When you put that rope in your truck, pay close attention to its storage. Petroleum products and sunlight are just some of the agents that will degrade your rope over time. Dust,dirt, and the acids from concrete slabs are very unkind, as well. Most climbers and cavers store their ropes in a sturdy bag. Ones made specifically for that purpose are available.

It would be far better to keep the rope in a dark closet in your home and put it in your truck only when you use it, which should be reasonably often so that you will be proficient when you need it.

Rope manufacturers claim that climbing ropes stored under ideal conditions will still lose strength to an unsafe degree(obvious bias possible!). They may be right, so go ahead and use it.

#219685 - 03/18/11 05:27 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: ireckon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The paracord rappelling was discussed on the forum many times. I was always arguing positively for that. Yes it's very dangerous but doable if you know what you are doing.

However since then I switched from paracord to a much better rope - the 3/16 Amsteel Blue. It's 10 times stronger and much more durable, also it's lighter than paracord (see the specs). I'm using it to hang my hammock in the woods all the time and it works very well. I have a 100ft piece in my camping/travel survival kit. Add a huge but lightweight aluminum carabinner, which you can find at some stores in form of a padded carrying handle (I've got mine at Kragen) and you can rappell much more safely. Add a 3/16 belay rack for easier descending control.

#219686 - 03/18/11 05:40 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
When you put that rope in your truck, pay close attention to its storage. Petroleum products and sunlight are just some of the agents that will degrade your rope over time. Dust,dirt, and the acids from concrete slabs are very unkind, as well. Most climbers and cavers store their ropes in a sturdy bag. Ones made specifically for that purpose are available.

It would be far better to keep the rope in a dark closet in your home and put it in your truck only when you use it, which should be reasonably often so that you will be proficient when you need it.

Rope manufacturers claim that climbing ropes stored under ideal conditions will still lose strength to an unsafe degree(obvious bias possible!). They may be right, so go ahead and use it.

Of note also, rope makers used to say retire a rope after 3 years
if no obvious damage, now at least one says 7 years. So you can
use carefully stored ropes longer if you haven't worn them out
from use-at least in some cases. Best check your rope's maker
for definitive info.

#219688 - 03/18/11 05:52 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: ireckon]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Teslinhiker ... I have the right training. Although it's probably a bit rusty and I should brush up my skills. Standard practice is to use 3 independent & solid anchors for attach points used for climbing and rapelling. That's the way I was always taught. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a second pair of eyes check your set-up ... people can screw up when they are stressed out or tired.

In my younger days there were a few times when I did rappels off anchors that did not meet the above standards. Generally it happened under marginal conditions, when we thought there was a pressing need to push on (typically bad weather approaching). It was scary. I would never go back to those extreme moments :-)

Pete #2

#219689 - 03/18/11 05:56 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: ireckon]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Or, assuming you have enough paracord, quadruple it up and twist to make a larger bundle, then do a leg wrap or dulfersitz for a controlled descent. Specifically, I'm thinking about the "Surviving Disaster" Towering Inferno episode (see Part 6).

Do you have a time code? Those videos are 42 minutes long.

Part 6 starts around 36 minutes.

#219692 - 03/18/11 06:02 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: Alex]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Add a huge but lightweight aluminum carabinner, which you can find at some stores in form of a padded carrying handle (I've got mine at Kragen) and you can rappell much more safely.

This type of carabiner is not designed for load bearing weights approaching an average adult human, is not designed for rappelling and presents a major life safety hazard if you attempt to use it as such. Please, if you must insist upon having equipment for life safety conditions; invest in decent carabiner designed for climbing or rescue. A decent carabiner can be had for $8-15, please don’t skimp.

Pete

#219695 - 03/18/11 06:23 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: paramedicpete]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Pete. You are probably right. However the one I've got have the same or better thickness compared to those a saw at REI, and also a screw-on gate. But it much bigger than anything I saw in the climbing section, so you can really grab on it with one hand and use another to control the cord. Do you think the aluminum quality can be not as good?

#219697 - 03/18/11 06:28 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: Alex]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Alex
The paracord rappelling was discussed on the forum many times. I was always arguing positively for that. Yes it's very dangerous but doable if you know what you are doing.

Edited post to reflect the words "paracord rapelling".

I disagree on any types of paracord rapelling. The risks involved are not within my scope of acceptable limits.

John Lubbock

#219699 - 03/18/11 06:31 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: Teslinhiker]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Disagreed. Paracord rappelling is always very dangerous, regardless of any training.

#219700 - 03/18/11 06:33 PM Re: Surviving a Chair Lift at a Ski Resort [Re: Alex]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
There are many aluminum alloy climbing carabiners available. Just stay away from the blacktop consumer versions and invest in quality and properly designed carabiners for climbing.

John Lubbock

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.