Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#219612 - 03/18/11 01:12 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Jim..i had the safety valve on a very old Primus 71 blow and it did not make much more than a candle type flame that i was able to blow out..it relit of course so i just let it go until the pressure was normal.i would think if the cap is in good shape with the proper setting built into it you should not get a flamethrower...but it was a once only thing for me so i can't say how another stove might act.
I've heard stories of a "candle" flame like you described, but I've also heard of "flamethrower" flames. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely too much on a 50 year old SRV functioning at 100% correctly.

What I do, is if the stove seems to be burning really hot, is turn it down. Less heat, less pressure to the tank, less likelihood of "popping" the SRV. The way I tell is to listen to the pulse of the stove. If it's pulsing more rapidly than usual and the flames are really jumping, to my mind it's time to turn it down a bit. After someone has used that type of stove for a bit, I think they'll know what I mean.

HJ

#219633 - 03/18/11 06:02 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

There is a part of me that wonders why people carry small wood stoves. Why not just make a circle of rocks and light a fire?

I think the answer lies along the following lines: one is that a stove provides a platform on which to cook, two the fire (if the stove is designed well) burns better and more efficiently, and three there's a smaller "footprint," the fire is more contained in other words.

Continuing the hijack: Campfire pits scattered all over the place in suburban areas or heavily visited areas is not a good thing. (In remote areas, a nice campfire pit in the right spot is a nice thing, IMHO). It is all about the impact and footprint - the more people, the less the foot print should, IMHO.

Then there is the issue of forest fire risk.

Done the right way, there is little doubt you can minimize the environmental impact and the risk of forest fire from a small fire. But then again, there are other options.

I've read the praise for those small wood stoves, and I think I can understand the fascination. When you factor in that you don't have to carry any fuel the weight and volume is pretty decent.

I personally hate disposable grills. Instead, I've purchased some steel plates that are hinged together with steel wire. Fairly heavy, about 4 pounds, but it packs totally flat. It serves dual purpose as a platform for making small fires. I'll bring that when we're going by car or on those Sunday family trips where we're not going far anyway.

#219635 - 03/18/11 08:15 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
If I carry a wood stove, I'd at least make it a wood gas stove. As far as the vargo hexgon goes, all it needs is another inner shell to become one.

#219637 - 03/18/11 10:12 AM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A huge advantage of stoves is convenience and speed, especially when thing get damp and cold. You can have water boiling under adverse conditions in the same amount of time it takes to get a wood fire started. A wood gassifier has some attraction, but you still are dependent on dry wood quality and availability. In really dry, incendiary conditions, nothing is as safe as a gas canister stove, except no stove at all. Just eat your Gorp and be quiet.

#219664 - 03/18/11 02:52 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

If the debate is between a wood fire for cooking vs. a stove, that's one thing. I've done both, and a stove is vastly more convenient and generally more reliable. The trade off is that one has to carry more weight with a stove vs. simply just carrying some kind of pot if one uses wood.

The question in my mind is more: If one is going to use wood, why carry a wood stove? Why not just make do with whatever materials are at hand? I think I'll split this off into a new thread. smile

HJ

#219718 - 03/18/11 07:29 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Jim,

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement windscreen for my MSR stove?

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#219726 - 03/18/11 07:47 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
Jim,

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement windscreen for my MSR stove?

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
The easiest is to go to just about any online outdoor retailer. Not that REI is any better than any other retailer, but here's a link to an MSR windscreen on REI's site. $15.00 + shipping is the going rate.

You can also check eBay. If one is being offered, sometimes you can pick it up for less than retail.

You can also MYOG (Make Your Own Gear). The lid to caterer's food containers is about the right gauge. Some people use aluminum flashing from the hardware store, but I find flashing to be too stiff.

If none of those options appeal to you, PM me, and I'll make you one. I make my own custom windscreens, and I have some sheet aluminum of the appropriate gauge.

HJ

#219776 - 03/19/11 02:51 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

I don't have any pictures of the stoves, but as soon as I find them I will try to take some pictures. A quick description of the two sizes (they look almost identical without reference to size) is that the larger one will take 6 Esbit tabs for storage and the smaller one will only take 4 when you fold it up. You might have to work to get 4 of the new tabs in the plastic packaging. The folding one is available in most places, it folds flat for carrying (good for several uses) and it great to pack in a survival kit.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#219802 - 03/19/11 07:12 PM Re: Stove of the Week: MSR Rapidfire [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hi, Jerry,

It sounds like the 4-tab holding stove is the one that's commonly available in sporting goods stores. Here is such a "pocket" Esbit stove at REI.

I personally am not all that hot on this particular model. I find it a little hard to light, but it does fold up well and being able to put 4 tabs inside the stove is nice. I prefer the little Tibetan Ti Wing Stove that I profiled on my blog. It's easier to light, more compact, and very light weight, but I know others who don't like the Ti Wing. Each to his own I suppose.

If you get a chance to post a photo of the larger one, that would be cool. Did the larger one have a specific purpose? Is it meant to burn multiple tabs at a time for larger pots?

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.