The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218700 - 03/10/11 01:21 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
if you're going to try to boil water in a plastic bottle over a fire, should you fill it all the way to the brim or leave a little room at the top?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218723 - 03/11/11 12:14 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I noticed that Bear grylls did the same thing in one of his episodes ... he boiled water in a plastic bottle over a campfire. It is an intriguing idea, but I wouldn't do it if i needed to drink hot water or make some tea. The risk of chemical contamination is too high. It might be OK if the hot water is for external use, or cleaning purposes.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/11/11 12:15 AM)

#218730 - 03/11/11 01:51 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: Pete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Pete
I noticed that Bear grylls did the same thing in one of his episodes ... he boiled water in a plastic bottle over a campfire. It is an intriguing idea, but I wouldn't do it if i needed to drink hot water or make some tea. The risk of chemical contamination is too high. It might be OK if the hot water is for external use, or cleaning purposes.

other Pete

Every fruit, nut, and vegetable in existence contains "poisonous" chemicals. Assuming you have a functioning liver, the amount and type of chemicals you'd ingest from occasionally heating water in a plastic bottle won't harm you.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#218977 - 03/13/11 05:47 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I enjoy watching it regardless of it's survival value (not nil either, some tricks are quite fresh to me). Very nice couple in the center of quite thrilling adventure.

#218989 - 03/13/11 06:34 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Hey Blast ... you sure about that??
Take a look at the Bear Grylls episode, or try it yourself at home. In order to boil the water in a plastic bottle, you really wind up frying the bottle over the flames. The plastic comes out blackened, shriveled up, and very nasty. It doesn't look good at all.

Food for thought!
other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/13/11 06:34 PM)

#219042 - 03/14/11 01:49 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That was only last year that the lady tried the BPA scare on us. Wonder how many forums she tossed that garbage out.

#219047 - 03/14/11 02:49 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: Pete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
Hey Blast ... you sure about that??
Take a look at the Bear Grylls episode, or try it yourself at home. In order to boil the water in a plastic bottle, you really wind up frying the bottle over the flames. The plastic comes out blackened, shriveled up, and very nasty. It doesn't look good at all.

Food for thought!
other Pete

Sounds like it's time to experiment, but it'll have to wait until next weekend. I'll report back the results.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#219050 - 03/14/11 03:01 AM Re: man woman wild [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Chemical myths about plastic from John Hopkins University. Sidenote: when he get's to the part about phthalates (PBA) he neglects to mention how little phthalate gets extracted by hot water. I'm too tired to look up my calculations based on the most commonly quoted research papers on this subject but it was in the thousands of LITERS of water per KILOGRAM of body weight before you had enough to POSSIBLY have some noticeable effect on the body. I suspect that much water would cause a problem before the phthaltes would.

-Blast

#219095 - 03/14/11 03:43 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just watched the episode in Alaska. They have failed to survive there because of a complete lack of food. My question is about the snow cave they've dug for sleeping. It was a mistake to keep the large entrance wide open, is not it? As far as I can recall you have to seal it as best as you can leaving just a very small opening at the bottom for ventilation. They were also suffering from a headache in the morning, most likely because of the smoke from the fire in front of the entrance entering the cave all night long.

I'm picking more and more useful tips from the show. The problem is that many of them comes without a proper explanation, sometimes with only several seconds of partially obscured demonstration. It looks like the makers tend to concentrate on the drama aspect too much - still fun overall though.

Edited by Alex (03/14/11 03:48 PM)

#219098 - 03/14/11 03:55 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Alex you touched on something I failed to mention in my first response here on the show. Myke does actually try to explain what he is doing and how to do it, whereas Les & Bear just do.

When his wife got dehydrated in the desert and he started a fire, he was honest enough to show and tell it took 90 minutes to do with the technique he was using. I am occasionally asked to start fires with what is on me or what is available (BBQ joking around) and people get bored after five minutes watching me strike or rub objects.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.