Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#219107 - 03/14/11 04:42 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: Alex]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I haven't seen the show, but I do know something about snow caves:
Originally Posted By: Alex
My question is about the snow cave they've dug for sleeping. It was a mistake to keep the large entrance wide open, is not it? As far as I can recall you have to seal it as best as you can leaving just a very small opening at the bottom for ventilation.

You're correct - a small opening located lower than your main cave. Also, make additional ventilation openings - just poke a skiing pole or whatever through the wall.

But if it is warmer outside (i.e. not that much colder than the melting point of water) then the size and shape of the opening really isn't that important. Just block enough to keep unwanted drafts out.

Originally Posted By: Alex

They were also suffering from a headache in the morning, most likely because of the smoke from the fire in front of the entrance entering the cave all night long.

Headache could be dehydration, too... but sleeping in a smoke filled cavity certainly seems like a bad idea.

But there is another thing to notice: Warming the snow cave is totally counter productive - The temperature inside the cave will never be warmer than a few degrees above the freezing point of water no matter what you do. Excessive heat just means that the walls melt faster.

#219383 - 03/16/11 01:57 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Sheriff Blast ... you're absolutely right about two things. First, it is time to experiment. And I've really got no excuse there, because I just set up a fire pit in my backyard. So I'll try hanging some plastic bottles over it and see what happens.

Second, you said "Chemical myths about plastic from John Hopkins University. Sidenote: when he get's to the part about phthalates (PBA) he neglects to mention how little phthalate gets extracted by hot water. I'm too tired to look up my calculations based on the most commonly quoted research papers on this subject but it was in the thousands of LITERS of water per KILOGRAM of body weight before you had enough to POSSIBLY have some noticeable effect on the body. I suspect that much water would cause a problem before the phthaltes would."

That's also quite helpful for me to know. You're probably aware that the media did publish some articles about the presence of phthalates in standard drinking water (plastic) bottles a while ago. I use a lot of these, and have been wondering if there's any long-term problem. So it's good to know that there isn't.

other Pete

#219394 - 03/16/11 02:47 PM Re: man woman wild [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Just watched the episode in Alaska. They have failed to survive there because of a complete lack of food."

You actually hit on a good point there. It is possible to fail in a survival setting, and so the Man Woman Wild show may actually be presenting more realistic outcomes. Whereas, if you watch Bear Grylls you tend to get the impression that every outcome is positive.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/16/11 02:48 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.