The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218682 - 03/10/11 02:23 AM Braces and guards
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I have been known to slip, to fall, and to often get on my knees to get a closer look at stuff [tracks, plants, small critters, etcetera] on or near surfaces that can be soft, hard, dry, or wet. I also go off trail a lot and my knee and ankle strains are tiresome.

So I have been wondering about braces and guards such as those used orienteering, skateboarding, dirt biking, etcetera. Does anyone have experience with such things that offer protection but also maintain most of your natural mobility?

Thanks.

#218684 - 03/10/11 02:29 AM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I think you are describing two different situations.

Down on your knees you need kneepads. You can buy a variety of styles at the home improvement store. I've spent many hours on my knees digging up airplane parts at a 1944 crash site my friends and I are cleaning up for a municipality. Kneepads are essential. I've noticed the guys who don't have them don't spend much time down in the dirt (hmmm, maybe that's on purpose?)

For off trail hiking pads will only protect against bruises and scrapes. Not twists and strains. Those need compression and taping (I think). I hike off trail a lot too but haven't yet had the twists and strains issues.

#218688 - 03/10/11 04:40 AM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kneepads are good. They save a lot of wear and tear. As you get older kneeling takes a heavier toll. Avoiding the damage is much more effective than trying to speed healing by babying a damaged joint.

If you play sports, or undertake other activities where a sideways hit can damage a knee, consider the type of simple hinged brace that will protect the knees from side pressure and impacts. These are available at many sporting good stores. Wear them for sports and where such impacts are likely.

I have had problems with my knees. Had one reconstructed. In my experience braces are okay when healing after an injury or surgery.

I do not recommend routine wearing of braces because they can, IMHO, end up being a crutch that keeps you from building up the knee so it protects itself. Wear a brace just long enough for the knees to recover so you can get past the initial stages of physical therapy. Then, under advisement of the therapist, ween yourself off the brace and concentrate on building up the knees through hard work at physical therapy.

Build up the connective tissues and your knees will be much more resistant to damage. That is protection that is with you 24/7.

#218713 - 03/10/11 09:47 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
yeah what unimogbert said.

For getting low to the ground a simple knee pad would work best. You could get a pair cheaply at a sports store, look for volleyball type. Could wear under your pants the whole time.

Slips and falls are a separate issue, completely. Maybe hiking poles.

#219102 - 03/14/11 04:21 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Since I mostly stalk in a high desert enviroment (think rocks, cactus thorns/stickers) I use knee pads when I'm bowhunting. I like the tactical, military type with a hard outer shell. They don't provide much stability support though.

For stalking do you also use elbow pads / guards?

The hard shell gurds look like better protection that the soft pad-type, but I am concerned the hard shells are noisy on wood and rock, and wonder if they inhibit range of motion?

#219226 - 03/15/11 01:14 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hard Shell pads are not noisy on wood or rock. They do not inhibit range of motion. They are bulkier on the padded end which takes some wearing to become accustomed to, but I prefer the hard shells (specifically the military ones) to soft pads.

#219228 - 03/15/11 01:26 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
As a career ankle sprainer, I use these for both ankles.

http://bledsoebrace.com/products/ultankle.asp

They are awesome. You can't even tell you are wearing them and they allow full motion, including running, etc. Since getting them two years ago, I have not sprained my ankle. Sprains used to be a daily event for me. The braces are kind of pricey, but worth every penny to me.

For kneepads, I picked up a moderately priced pair at our local home improvement store. They work great too.

#219240 - 03/15/11 02:08 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: GarlyDog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree with Art. Conditioning and building up your legs is better than "crutches." A hiking staff can help a great deal in increasing stability - so can just plain old experience. Good solid footgear plays a role as well.

I use kneepads myself, since I spend a lot of time on my knees digging up bones and such (as well as begging for forgiveness). The most practical for outdoors use are the light foam types one can get at the local home center. You can also find pants that incorporate knee pads.

Cavers also spend a lot of time crawling, often in mud. The heavier construction type pads work best in that situation.

#219244 - 03/15/11 02:23 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would agree with Art. Conditioning and building up your legs is better than "crutches."

Sound advice, but medical realities such as my positional vertigo make it prudent to use a hiking staff and look at things like knee pads to moderate the results of the unfortunately inevitable falls. I know I am going to take a licking, but I intend to keep on ticking, as the old Timex watch ads would say.

#219250 - 03/15/11 02:45 PM Re: Braces and guards [Re: dweste]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Knee pads aren't crutches. More something of a comfort item. In some applications they are a safety measure. You can use them for as long as you like without weaking any joint, tendons or muscles.

Braces are more like crutches, and sometimes they are necessary. Most people will prefer to avoid them if they can, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.