Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#217320 - 02/17/11 11:19 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
Stranger
That's what bugs me. 19 posts in over 4 years . . probably all in this thread.

#217425 - 02/18/11 02:44 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
mrwilmoth Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Edited by mrwilmoth (02/18/11 02:55 AM)

#218969 - 03/13/11 04:07 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
by "EDC" i'm taking it you really mean EDC, and not also what i carry in my pack or BOB or vehicles or camping kit or horseback or...

so here's what i ALWAYS have in my front pocket 24/7

SAK Alox Classic, DeanJ Ti peanut lighter, Mako Ti 1xAAA flashlight and a William Henry B09FT Ti folder

and when i leave the house, even for a walk on my own property, i also add a larger locking folder, brighter flashlight and firearm, minimum.

#218973 - 03/13/11 04:50 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Blast]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
You looked in your wife's purse didn't you!

#219076 - 03/14/11 01:16 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:
You looked in your wife's purse didn't you!

my wife doesn't own a purse - she's a working buckaroo who push cattle around the frontier all day long, so she carries pretty much the same items i do, also in her pockets (but without the pouch which for some reason she doesn't like).

my choices come from 30+ years of living in an off-the-grid mountain wilderness cabin, miles from the nearest neighbor or paved road. these are the tool we found we need on a day-to-day basis, just to survive.

and just cause i like showing off my nicest & fanciest pocket kit, over my cheapie bic-lighter versions, doesn't make me a metro-sexual kind'a guy, does it? :-)

[post sent via satellite from our solar-powered shack in eastern oregon]

#219099 - 03/14/11 04:09 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wileycoyote]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice selection of EDC tools, wileycoyote. And welcome to the forum! Are you using the lighter every day? Or just for emergencies? I'm asking because we had a discussion earlier considering the feasibility of a duct tape over the lighter's lid gasket, which should help to slow down the lighter fluid evaporation. Do you have such a problem with yours?

Edited by Alex (03/14/11 04:31 PM)

#219104 - 03/14/11 04:27 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Alex]
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Alex
Nice selection of EDC tools, wileycoyote! Are you using the lighter every day? Or just for emergencies? I'm asking because we had a discussion earlier considering the feasibility of a duct tape over the lighter's lid gasket, which should help to slow down the lighter fluid evaporation. Do you have such a problem with yours?

Would it be possible to add an o-ring to help seal the lid?

#219108 - 03/14/11 04:43 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Alex]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

thnx for the kind words alex. and thnx for the welcome. i've been a huge fan of doug's ETS and this forum for many many years, just haven't been a member.

while i'm not a smoker, i do use it every few days for starting fires in the wood stove, lighting slash piles & burn-barrel fires, melting ends of webbing, sterilizing needles to remove splinters, lighting candles, etc.

the peanut shell i have on the one shown was handmade by a guy over at EDCF named DeanJ (no longer in production) which has a very fine fit between the two halves, yet no gasket. even after 6 months i find i still have fluid in it.

the standard peanuts i have in different survival kits all have o-rings and even they light immediately after six moinths. maybe i'm just lucky...

and i've had better luck with the peanuts over any butane lighter, disposable or high quality.

here's a fun vid of a dunking test: Lighter Comparison - Peanut, Mini Bic, Butane

and an informative old ETS thread HERE

i've been using these peanuts for a long time. in fact i "discovered" the peanut lighter via a tiny ebay ad in 2007, ordered one from china and was the first to review it in a number of forums, info which helped CC and others to import them for us all.

for those not familiar with them, here are the pixs i did of my first one:

#219113 - 03/14/11 05:21 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wileycoyote]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My big gripe with peanut lighters is, I wish they had the attachment point on the other end.

I mean, first, if it accidentally unscrews while I'm walking or whatever, I'd rather loose the cap then the lighter itself. Second, with the smooth body and short OAL of most peanut lighters, they can be a bit tricky to hang onto. If the attachment point was on the other side, I could use the keychain or lanyard as part of the handle to make it easier to hang-onto (and to prevent me from dropping it).

#219119 - 03/14/11 05:53 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Paul810]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Paul810
My big gripe with peanut lighters is, I wish they had the attachment point on the other end.

I mean, first, if it accidentally unscrews while I'm walking or whatever, I'd rather loose the cap then the lighter itself. Second, with the smooth body and short OAL of most peanut lighters, they can be a bit tricky to hang onto. If the attachment point was on the other side, I could use the keychain or lanyard as part of the handle to make it easier to hang-onto (and to prevent me from dropping it).

good point, except as it is you can place it under tinder without exposing the other things on your keychain to possible damage/dirt.

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.