Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#219760 - 03/19/11 02:14 AM Re: backpacking saw [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Both Gerber and Fiskars are made by the same company (Fiskars) in China, makes you wonder why does one suck but the other doesn't eh?

Yeah, exactly. I guess one project was organized by a pencil-pusher and the other by someone who knew what they were talking about. Just be warned that a Gerber isn't necessarily a Fiskars, quality-wise. (I confess I'm increasingly cautious about stuff with the Gerber logo. Some is quite decent and serviceable, but some is just the worst rubbish. <Sigh>.)

#219856 - 03/20/11 08:27 PM Re: backpacking saw [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I was in the hardware store today - working on getting items to build up my storage capabilities for food and water. While there, I checked the pruning saws. There are some nice folding saws, but all the ones I saw had very coarse teeth. I prefer to be able to make fine cuts. So I wound up going over to the hardware section and choosing a short (but strong) saw with a tapered blade and good fine teeth. For my purposes I am aiming towards urban survival. So this saw will work well for search and rescue in timber homes, and also for survival projects that involve cutting thick plastic (e.g. plastic barrels). It's still short enough to fit in my rucksack.

I did take a look at the Fiskers gear. I gotta' agree that it looks well made. I have noticed that companies that pay a lot of attention to product quality can get good things produced in China. I liked the small tomahawk made by Fiskars. Compact, and not too heavy. So I also picked up one of those - that will also be available for my pickup truck or my rucksack.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/20/11 08:29 PM)

#219859 - 03/20/11 09:48 PM Re: backpacking saw [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I Carry a Sthil pruning saw. I picked it over a camping based saw (such as a cohglans saw or gerber exchange a blade) because a few points I thought about while staring at the price. It had a sturdier locking mech it seemed and I figured it is made for people who work all day doing lawncare as a main job. Its Sawblades are by far thee best i have seen compared to others. Hard chrome coated sharp as all heck and runs threw a 4 inch log like it wasnt there. The blade is held in by a Bolt and nut with a large deep Phillips head so I figure it would be easiest to replace and change if need be.

#219926 - 03/21/11 03:24 PM Re: backpacking saw [Re: Frisket]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks Frisket. We have several stihl dealers here (really like the quality of their weedeaters) so I'll have to look into that. One question tho. Are the blades replaceable on the stihl model?

reason for edit: no affiliations (standard disclaimer, just a happy customer wrt their weedeaters)

Edited by Mark_Frantom (03/21/11 03:25 PM)

#219929 - 03/21/11 04:38 PM Re: backpacking saw [Re: Mark_F]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Thanks Frisket. We have several stihl dealers here (really like the quality of their weedeaters) so I'll have to look into that. One question tho. Are the blades replaceable on the stihl model?

reason for edit: no affiliations (standard disclaimer, just a happy customer wrt their weedeaters)

Yep Yep The blades are infact replaceable just make sure you purchase the right blade for the right saw you own since there is multiple models with difference blade lenghts and shapes.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.