Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#145880 - 08/25/08 08:00 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Paragon, this is a ridiculous exercise in equipment masturbation. A simple example: people with modern training on the use of manufactured tourniquets know that you pick 1 design and stick with it until you change your mind to another design, then standardize your kits on that. When the crap hits the fan you do not want to deal with 3 different TQs.

Aparently no one ever thought to mention that littlle jewel of wisdom to the Department of Defense, seeing as each of these tourniquets have been extensively tested, approved, and concurrently distributed to the various branches of the US military.

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

I am not a doctor or PA but some of my associates who are have looked at your selection & amounts of meds then pointed out glaring contradictions. Does the DEA know about your controlled meds? If your profile is accurate regarding your profession and location then you have a Federal problem. This is a public forum so you had better clear this stuff out fast so that the Google cache of it gets cleared out in a reasonable time.

You and/or your associates appear to be misinformed.

Exactly what type of Federal problem would someone in possession of controlled substances, prescribed by a licensed physician with a registered DEA number, filled by a licensed pharmacy, have? Get real, it's not like I drove down to the seedy part of town one night and bought a baggie full of meth from someone on the street corner...

I'm certainly not a pharmacist, although the presence of Rx and DEA numbers on prescription forms, labels, and patient literature, together with the requirement for photo ID and my signature suggest to me that distribution of controlled susbtances is in fact, ummm, controlled. This would further suggest to me that the pharmacy and/or DEA could probably acquire whatever information they might desire without resorting to Google caches, Crown Vics with tinted windows, and black helicopters.

Jim

#145887 - 08/25/08 09:00 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Paragon]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Just curious, a quick 2nd look at your kit and I counted at least 30 items that are illegal for an individual to possess without FDA approval and/or a prescription including narcotics.

I'm curious as to how you were able to get preemptive prescriptions for items like narcotics?

I find it hard to believe that an MD would write scrips for some of that stuff for use in a first aid kit.

Not trying to bust your chops, I'm honestly curious. Here in SoCal I have to show my EMT license just to get an O2 bottle filled and I've been refused by some sellers as I don't carry a prescription for it.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#145911 - 08/25/08 10:20 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: JohnE]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

What is wrong with you guys, I could care less if Paragon got his meds from the freekin tooth fairy. He made an outstanding med kit that has surpassed anything anybodies ever put on this web site and the first thing all you guys want to do is go Narc him out to the DEA. If this the way you guys do business on this thread then that is screwed up!!!!

If Paragon knows how to use this stuff then so be it, he's not a crack head nor is he selling drugs to kids. His kit can be duplicated quite a bit minus the prescriptions and still have a effective kit. I only put things I know how to use in my kit and his kit is way above any medical skills I have. You guys need to chill out and try to learn from his kit, not drag him down the road for persecution.

This behavior sends a bad example to new people coming to this forum and scares them off from showing or posting anything they have without fear of being Ratted on to the police. Come on guys lets keep this forum good and not send it down hill.

Oh and one final note to Paragon is that I want to personally thank you for showing your kit and I commend you on your attention to detail and outstanding job well done! Five stars *****

#145913 - 08/25/08 10:37 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: JohnE]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
John,

The prescription meds account for roughly half of the regulated items. Some of these Rx's are prescribed for my wife (seasonal alergies and chronic asthma) whereas the remainder are mine.

I'll be the first to admit to having never fully understood the logic behind why some things are regulated (hemostatic bandages, saline irrigation solution, etc.) whereas others are not (surgical cricothyroidotomy kit, syringes, etc.).

It has always struck me as odd that a single 800mg ibuprofen is a prescription item, although a bottle containing (500) 200mg caplets is not.

An Epipen Jr. delivers a single .15mg dose of epinephrine and costs ~$65.00, whereas a 1/2 oz canister of Primatene Mist provides dozens of doses (0.22mg epinephrine each) and is available OTC for ~$12.00

0.9% saline irrigation solution in a 500mL container is Rx only, yet one can legally purchase as many 250mL containers as you want (even though the label continues to state "RX Only").

I could go on and on, but I think many of these items are actually left to the descretion of the retailer. One retailer required a copy of my Red Cross certificate in order to process an order for QuikClot (which is not labeled Rx) although nothing was required from the same retailer for NPA's, ET tubes/Stylets, and occlusive chest seals (marked as "Rx Only").

Jim

#145916 - 08/25/08 11:06 PM Re: I do see only one thing missing [Re: ]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Falcon5000 Agreed!. Paragon thanks for sharing pics of your fak, has mine beat.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#146115 - 08/27/08 12:44 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Paragon]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Paragon
...Aparently no one ever thought to mention that littlle jewel of wisdom to the Department of Defense, seeing as each of these tourniquets have been extensively tested, approved, and concurrently distributed to the various branches of the US military.

Your reply reveals your focus on equipment instead of training & skills.

I'm very familiar with those TQ studies and have worked with each of the TQs the govt tested. They tested a wide range of TQs to evaluate effectiveness and usability. However the specific training in immediate action medical care that focuses on TQs calls for operators to pick one TQ design and stick with that type until a better TQ is found, then transition to the new type and train appropriately with it. Mixing TQs that have different modes of operation is a tactical & training mistake.

You and/or your associates appear to be misinformed.

A quick excerpt: "Only 2 antibiotics, and they are from the same class. Only one of them treats pneumonia. Neither is good for young kids. And he's got only enough for one course of each."

I invite you to read this link in which you are called out as a person in error by real medical professionals. Feel free to correct that group of real doctors, paramedics and military medics. Could it be that they are all wrong and you, the Red Cross certed guy, are right?

Exactly what type of Federal problem would someone in possession of controlled substances, prescribed by a licensed physician with a registered DEA number, filled by a licensed pharmacy, have?

The only things worse than your doctor prescribing you injectable MSO4 with your stated level of medical training is you asking for and accepting it.

Edited by Glock-A-Roo (08/27/08 05:54 PM)
Edit Reason: vocabulary fix

#146130 - 08/27/08 01:42 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Grouch]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
No kidding...Holy Shiite Muslim, what a kit.

I'm with Blast, I'll stick with some guaze, a few bandaids and asprin.

#146131 - 08/27/08 01:56 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Henry_Porter Offline

I'm just now putting together first aid kits for home, office, cars and EDC, so this is a timely thread for me.

In a thread that uses the term "Show-off" and on a forum that likes its share of gear talk and gear photos, I expect the appearance of a, er, "Mall Medic" or two. That's cool. I appreciate the enthusiasm and also the efforts to post details and photos.

Even more I value the critiques and rigor of the forum. If someone catches a whiff of BS, it's usually good to call it out. Maybe it keeps someone else from stepping in it, so to speak.

Anyway, was it Wm. Blake who wrote, "Opposition is true friendship"? Put another way, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

#146133 - 08/27/08 02:42 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: Henry_Porter]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
OK, here's my opinion on this whole thing.

First of all, it's good to see some discussion here about the meds in the kit, and I'm not going to take sides in the debate of legality and usefulness of one med or another, that's the domain of people who are paid medical pros, not a volunteer firefighter or armchair expert.

Which leads me to the inevitable discussion of being, um, over-equipped.

I'd be very happy to know that the kit in question was stored, - maybe several of them - ready to go, at local police stations and hospitals and at the local medic companies.

BUT in the same way I'd be very UNHAPPY if someone who never handled an extrication tool started to work on a wreck with one, I'd be extraordinarily concerned about someone without a lot of medical experience (not just training, experience) who came at someone with an airway, injector, or any other medications for that matter.

In the same way owning a pair of drum sticks does not make one a competent drummer, owning a bottle of meds does not make one a medic.

So, I say, "Bravo" for having the gear that others might need to use, but "Caution" for not having anything near the experience level to use more than the basic stuff in it.

#146136 - 08/27/08 02:58 PM Re: The Official First Aid Kit Show-off Thread [Re: MartinFocazio]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Wow. If you don't mind my asking, how much did that kit cost to put together? And how much do you think it will cost to maintain as items hit their expiration date?

I have a hard enough time keeping my (much) smaller kits current. Which reminds me that I probably need to go through them all again.

Greg

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.