Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#218734 - 03/11/11 03:48 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dweste
Would this be the item?:

Yep, that's the item. Tiny little things. A bit less than 2" long and the stainless steel strap material is 3/8" wide. They usually come with a little clip that allows you to keep the gripper reliably on a key chain, or, using a screw, to mount the holder in a tool box or first-aid kit. A needle, strong light, magnifier, and a Silver Gripper make a well equipped splinter removal kit.

My advice is to buy them two at a time because you save a little money and at least one is going to get lost, or grow legs. I've never seen one worn out, but they do tend to wander.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Sliver-Gripper-Precision-Tweezers/dp/B003Q1EGUA/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I've no affiliation with Uncle Bill's or Amazon. I just know a simple and effective tool when I use one.

#218736 - 03/11/11 03:54 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
... Jamaican Inner Beauty hot sauce. Hot as napalm. Tasty enough to make eating a boot enjoyable. Haven't seen a bottle in years. Makes Tabasco taste like stump water.

Perhaps a worthy re-creation?:

http://www.hotsauce.com/Rasta-Fire-Hot-Sauce-p/1255.htm

Never had that one. Hard to give advice on hot sauces because taste is subjective.

#218981 - 03/13/11 06:05 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Before blizzards I used to get in a load of food; then feet up ( in slippers) drinking hot coco and listening to the radio...best way to spend a day off.

#218994 - 03/13/11 07:04 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
This has to be by person.

For my daughter - hot chocolate and BIG marshmallows, her music and her "blue puppy"

For my son - Scooby Do Fruit Snacks, Gluten Free Corn Chips, and his iPod

For the wife - a good book, some candles, probably some hot chocolate too and maybe some wine (or rum for the hot chocolate?)

For me - books, Makers Mark or Templeton Rye, enough batteries to keep my iPhone charged and playing music so I can spend the time dancing with the kids or my wife.

- Eric

#219002 - 03/13/11 08:13 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
good list Eric!

i always have something with me to amuse and comfort my 7 year old, but as i was watching my son, daughter and hubby all playing their handheld games last night, and the two older ones with their iphones, i thought it would be wise add a way to charge them to our family bob.

my 7 year old is easy to amuse, the 20 year old, not so much.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#219013 - 03/13/11 09:25 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
iphones, i thought it would be wise add a way to charge them to our family bob.

I take this very seriously, more for communications than for entertainment. Each car has a 12 volt iPhone charger and a battery jumpstarter with a 12 volt outlet. Even a small 12 volt jumpstarter will recharge an iPhone several times, probably at least ten times. Each BOB has a USB/solar battery that can charge an iPhone fully at least once, and finally there's a 2xAA iPhone charger with AA batteries available.

Other than the 2xAA and 12v iPhone chargers these are all multi-use items.

#219024 - 03/13/11 10:59 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Here is my solution for travel/emergency power for my small electronics.

I have adapter tips for my phone and some other devices so all I need is a healthy stock of AA batteries. The same company also makes USB plugs for their adapter tips so I can power up from anything with a USB outlet (computer, car adapter, wall wart).

I'm sure it isn't the most efficient but AA batteries are very common and I can usually get 2-3 full charges out of a lithium set.

- Eric

#219059 - 03/14/11 04:55 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

I'm more inclined toward useful and comfort than I am elegance, but I once had to open my car kit while stopped far behind a multi-car accident on a cold day. I pulled out some instant cocoa, two cups, an old silver Goodwill spoon, and my small stove, and made some cocoa to go with some shortbread cookies.

My friend was shielding the stove from the wind, and said in a surprised tone, "OH, you brought the good silver!"

Sue

#219061 - 03/14/11 06:03 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Eric]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Eric
Here is my solution for travel/emergency power for my small electronics.

I have adapter tips for my phone and some other devices so all I need is a healthy stock of AA batteries. The same company also makes USB plugs for their adapter tips so I can power up from anything with a USB outlet (computer, car adapter, wall wart).

I looked at that, but realized that it uses a proprietary connector, so it quickly got pretty expensive for what it does. In my GHB I have the Duracell version that has a standard mini-USB jack and comes with both a mini-USB plug and iPod/iPhone dock connector, costs about $5 with batteries. Works well, and doesn't mind that I use Energizer Lithiums instead of Duracells. smirk

I just ordered one of these for $3.39 (damn, price went down 9¢) for my EDC, we'll see how it works.

#219066 - 03/14/11 11:06 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_M]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

I'll admit the custom connector was a concern, but back when I bought it there were no reliable alternatives that supported my iPod, work phone, personal phone, and PDA. If I was buying again I might go a different way.

-Eric

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.