Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21899 - 11/24/03 11:47 AM Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everybody! I was wondering how many of the forumites here carry a mini flashlight in their keychain and what kind? I personally carry a mini maglite which I very much like. Any others? And what about their cost and effectiveness?

#21900 - 11/24/03 12:28 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had for the longest time carried a mag solitaire. As my keychain bulked up (as a result of reading too much here), I had to examine the items there for size and weight. I converted to an ASP saphire light. This light is really easy to detach ( it works like a gate-mouthed mini-carabiner) from the keychain, bright enough to read, walk, cook by, much lighter than the solitaire; the down side is that this light has a momentary pinch switch so it is difficult to use hands-free A mini binder-clip works really well to hold the light on and provides a stable stand to hold the light to your cap or in position on the table. In my EDC I also carry a AA mag light, and a photon II and a LED light that is built into my mini-multi-tool from Dakota.

#21901 - 11/24/03 12:56 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I like Arc AA for my key chain. it uses AA battery, is very bright and it fits nicely in my hand. Another choice to follow would be ARC AAA and Photon light.

Matt

#21902 - 11/24/03 02:49 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

An Arc AAA is on my wish list for the coming holiday season. I'd say stay away from the Photons for carry in your pocket, unless you have a thing for the gal behind the battery counter. It took about 8 cells to get 4 uses out my Photon III.
Ed

#21903 - 11/24/03 02:59 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
My photon II has the same battery for the past 3 years and I use it a lot. I don't understand.

I caried maglight soliatre for a while but it kept unscrewing from the key chain so I picked up ARC AA. It's a great solid light, u can't go wrong with it. You know how sometimes it takes some time for equipment to grow on you? In this case it was instant. I grabed it and it was perfect for all around key chain carry.

Matt

#21904 - 11/24/03 03:11 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>My photon II has the same battery for the past 3 years and I use it a lot. I don't understand.<<

Ditto. I carried a Photon 2 in my keycase for years, still haven't replaced the battery. I carried a first-generation Photon 3 for perhaps a year, no problems, and am about a month into the second-generation Photon 3 (with SOS), no problems yet.

Obviosly, my preference is for the Photon 3, mostly because of weight. Current model is a Stealth version, mostly just to protect the LED from abrasion, but it never really seemed to be a problem with earlier versions. If I had my choice, I'd go with green, red, or orange, for the better battery life, but this one is white- it's what was available at the time.

Depending on your circumstances, the new SOS feature may be mostly irrelevant or highly desirable. If you can see a reasonable scenario for using it (not hard if, say, you spend time on the water), it beats the heck out of spending hours flashing S O S by hand, while not being free to do anything else about your situation. I've bought 4 so far.

#21905 - 11/24/03 03:54 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
I've had a CMG Infinity Ultra (single AA white LED) on my keyring for the lasy year. It is as bright as a Arc AAA Premium. Big? Well, yes, compared to the Arc AAA. But it's easy to use one handed, it's indestructable, and it stays bright HOURS longer than a Photon. I woldn't mind an Arc AAA Premium, but it is $$. Now, if one arrived under my Christmas tree, I might have to change. But until then, I'd recommend the Ultra if you want a AA LED.

.....CLIFF

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

#21906 - 11/24/03 03:54 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I too like Photon3 lights.

I have a white one attached to my house keys ring (it stays in the glove box of the car), two (one white, one red) attached outside of my EDC fanny pack (bum bag ?).

They are so small, you have no excuse not to have a light when needed.

(I also put a few Photon3 at different places : in FAKs, outside rücksak, aso...)

Alain

#21907 - 11/24/03 04:00 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From reading the info on ETS and this forum, I have a Photon II. I've had no battery problems yet (i've had it about 5-6months). Quite pricey (and in theUK difficult to get hold of)I've not tried any of the alternatives listed here.

What ever you choose, make sure it has an on/off switch, and doesn't rely on you pressing the button continuously to keep it on. Makes life easier.

#21908 - 11/24/03 04:05 PM Re: Favorite mini flashlight for keychain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I carried a Photon 2 in my keycase for years<<

Maybe that's the problem. My "keychain" is a loop of leather thong that currently holds 7 keys,dogtag, P38, and a Strike Master miltary match and scraper*. There's no protection of any sort when I cram it into my pocket. With everything else that's in there the light was probably just getting activated anytime I climbed into the truck or knelt down to work on a rack at work.

Ed

*Formerly Done Right, now also out of business

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.