The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#219509 - 03/17/11 01:03 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: Mark_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mark -- KI and other forms of iodine have sold out as far as I can tell. However, Brown Seaweed ( Fucus Vesiculosus) aka Fucoidan is rich in iodine and they should be able to find that in Japan.

I just took a SupaFuco tablet (chewable) -- don't chew it, tastes like a beach-covered-in-brown-rotting-seaweed smells. . . Okay, chew it, follow it up with something to wash down the taste.

#219511 - 03/17/11 01:11 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Russ
I just took a SupaFuco tablet (chewable)

Russ, is that product a dietary supplement? I don't know the nutritional content of that particular product, but unfortunately, one tablet is almost certainly far too low in iodine to max out your thyroid if it's just a run-of-the-mill supplement. Honestly, I doubt that much would make any difference in terms of protecting your thyroid.

I can't believe the price gouging on these KI pills--and people are presumably paying those prices!

#219513 - 03/17/11 01:28 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, I'd consider it a dietary supplement. Unfortunately, the stuff I have is marketed as a food because it's essentially just brown seaweed. The bottle I have doesn't break it down to mg of Iodine per tablet. However, from the wiki link above "The main use of bladder wrack (and other types of seaweed) in herbal medicine is as a source of iodine, an essential nutrient for the thyroid gland."

There are more concentrated forms of iodine; I started taking these and a more concentrated form called Iosol the day after the tsunami. Unfortunately, those are what have suddenly become out of stock. The peeps that really need KI are in Japan, buying it for use here in the US for this incident is a waste IMO. We don't have any KI here. If I did I'd donate it.

#219518 - 03/17/11 01:44 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Arney
[quote=Russ]
I can't believe the price gouging on these KI pills--and people are presumably paying those prices!

Amazing, isn't it? I believe the term is hysterical overreaction..

#219537 - 03/17/11 03:55 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: hikermor]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Blast thanks so much for that excellent explanation.

Edit: I have a question for you, I'm reading that coagulants work by neutralizing the charge, does that mean, then, that it would also work to break the cling between the radioactive ions and the water?

But then again, if it's like salt, and coagulants/flocculants don't remove salt from water, then I must be missing something. (My apologies for bringing this thread a little off topic.)

Edited by Ann (03/17/11 04:02 PM)

#219539 - 03/17/11 04:04 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: hikermor]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I would suggest that "gouging" can actually be a very good thing in the midst a disaster. It helps discourage people who don't really need something from buying up the entire limited supply.

Some people may consider it to be taking advantage of people, but what's better - Very expensive AA batteries that you can buy if you absolutely need them, of no AA batteries no matter how much you need them?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#219540 - 03/17/11 04:05 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Arney
[quote=Russ]

Amazing, isn't it? I believe the term is hysterical overreaction..

No surprise. Remember the supposed "rice shortage" a couple of years ago? People who probably never eat rice, much less cook it, were cleaning out 50lb. bags from the big box stores. We seem to have 2 speeds here, boredom and panic.

#219541 - 03/17/11 04:10 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: Ann]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
By "ions", Blast means "dissolved solids". Technically "salt" does not exist in salt water, just sodium and chlorine ions. Practically, when the water evaporates or boils away, the solid salt is left behind.

An engineer and a scientist were challenged to a race. The prize was a beautiful woman for the first one to reach here. The scientist explained that there was no point in trying, because to reach her he would first have to cross half the distance. Then he would have to cross half the remaining distance, and so on.

The engineer said "You may be right that I can never actually reach her, but I think I can get close enough for any practical purpose."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#219545 - 03/17/11 04:25 PM Re: KI pills sold out in US [Re: thseng]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: thseng
I would suggest that "gouging" can actually be a very good thing in the midst a disaster. It helps discourage people who don't really need something from buying up the entire limited supply.

All in all, I would agree that "market dynamics" does have its benefits, even in these situations. Actually, we never really point the finger at the panic buying (or put another way, everyone suddenly buying something at the same time that is not needed), which is really the root of the issue with KI here. We don't need KI over here right now, so I wish people would refrain from depleting the supply that could be sent to Japan instead.

That said, I haven't heard of any cases of price gouging in the disaster area, although I have seen reports of merchants giving things away or at a discount. According to market theory, that's the wrong thing to do to ensure future supplies, but as a human being, isn't that what we all wished would happen, at least in the short term?

#219555 - 03/17/11 05:34 PM Re: Fukushima Nuke Plant Explosion [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I had read the other day that Tokyo does not have a plan to distribute KI pills. It's not clear if the article was simply referring to the need to distribute it given current conditions, or was referring to an actual lack of any KI distribution plan at all. The latter would be very surprising to me.

If the latter is the case, then all the more reason why I was searching for KI pills online here to send to my friend in Tokyo, although she eventually decided to bug out of Japan.

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.